Travel

Family flight from YUL to YVR or (SEA + bus)?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2016 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
May 14, 2008
448 posts
245 upvotes

Family flight from YUL to YVR or (SEA + bus)?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to flight to Vancouver with the family (wife + 2 kids). Tickets are damn expensive from YUL to YVR at the end of june staying for 3 weeks. It is 3200$CAD. So I was looking for the possibility to land at Seattle which would cost 2000$CAD plus the bus.

So my quesitons are :
  • How much is the bus from Seattle Airport to Vancouver?
  • Do you think it's worth it?
  • Where do I look for the bus?
  • If we take the return flight from Seattle, should I rent a car instead?
Thanks for your advice
Never surf the web unarmed!
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2004
4254 posts
1412 upvotes
Vancouver
el_pablo wrote: Hey guys,

I'm planning to flight to Vancouver with the family (wife + 2 kids). Tickets are damn expensive from YUL to YVR at the end of june staying for 3 weeks. It is 3200$CAD. So I was looking for the possibility to land at Seattle which would cost 2000$CAD plus the bus.

So my quesitons are :
  • How much is the bus from Seattle Airport to Vancouver?
  • Do you think it's worth it?
  • Where do I look for the bus?
  • If we take the return flight from Seattle, should I rent a car instead?
Thanks for your advice
BoltBus from Seattle costs approximately $20 with the chance to grab $1 fares. You will need to catch the train into the city (easy, cheap and fast) and find your way to your hotel from Vancouver central train station. Direct from SeaTac will be around $60 with drop-off straight to your hotel, I think kid fares are cheaper.

Is it worth it? For $1200 in savings? Probably. Will your kids like it? Probably not. You basically lose an entire day with the waiting, transit time and exhaustion. I did it once after a return from Europe to save $70. Would I do it again for $70? Hell no. Would I do it again for $200-300? Yeah, probably but then again, I'd be on my own.

You could rent a car and drive down to Portland and then drive back up. The coastal highway is supposed to be beautiful. I don't think Vancouver's large enough to require a car but it will make getting around a lot more convenient.
Removed external link in signature.
[OP]
Member
May 14, 2008
448 posts
245 upvotes
If the difference would have been under 300-400$ for the whole family, it would be a no brainer. I would have taken a direct flight. But 1200$, it is something else.

We could visit Seattle the first day or two this could be easier for everyone.
Never surf the web unarmed!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
I actually love Seattle, so good to see you are considering staying a few days to visit either at the start or finish ... It's an awesome city!
Where are you going to be in Vancouver? Hotel or staying with family/friends? If downtown a car is not ideal but elsewhere, it's worth it to have one...
Speaking as a parent with two kids, I wouldn't do the bus option... not a good start/finish to a vacation!

If you are in YUL, did you consider Burlington as a departure point? I am seeing fares with Jetblue BTV-SEA for around $600 CAD with a straightforward connection in JFK.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2009
973 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver
el_pablo wrote: Hey guys,

I'm planning to flight to Vancouver with the family (wife + 2 kids). Tickets are damn expensive from YUL to YVR at the end of june staying for 3 weeks. It is 3200$CAD. So I was looking for the possibility to land at Seattle which would cost 2000$CAD plus the bus.

So my quesitons are :
  • How much is the bus from Seattle Airport to Vancouver?
  • Do you think it's worth it?
  • Where do I look for the bus?
  • If we take the return flight from Seattle, should I rent a car instead?
Thanks for your advice
Definitely worth it. I would go so far as to rent a car from SEA and just return it at the end of the trip. Car rental prices are insane in Vancouver during the summer so it would probably end up cheaper. I would also recommend stopping in Seattle for a day or two on the way back, there's quite a lot to see for kids there.
Member
Aug 12, 2014
352 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
absolutcamper wrote: Definitely worth it. I would go so far as to rent a car from SEA and just return it at the end of the trip. Car rental prices are insane in Vancouver during the summer so it would probably end up cheaper. I would also recommend stopping in Seattle for a day or two on the way back, there's quite a lot to see for kids there.
A Canadian cannot take a US rental car into Canada without importation papers, even if the car will be returned to the US.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2009
973 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver
wirespeed wrote: A Canadian cannot take a US rental car into Canada without importation papers, even if the car will be returned to the US.
As per May 2012, that is no longer to case. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesa ... a-1302.htm

However, you must return the vehicle within 30 days and you may have to pay Canadian taxes on the rental cost of you have been out of Canada for less than 48 hours at the time of crossing.
Member
Aug 12, 2014
352 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
absolutcamper wrote: As per May 2012, that is no longer to case. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesa ... a-1302.htm

However, you must return the vehicle within 30 days and you may have to pay Canadian taxes on the rental cost of you have been out of Canada for less than 48 hours at the time of crossing.
Please don't leave out important details, so that OP will not encounter unexpected problems during his trip.

In order to enforce these treaties, CBP Officers might ask to see documentation that the driver of a vehicle leaving or entering the U.S. is either the lawful owner or authorized driver of that vehicle.

If the car or vehicle is leased, the driver should have written permission from the rental company to drive the car in another country.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)