• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2020 7:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1550 posts
1185 upvotes

Family Resort with Nice Beach?

Edit: Not planning to travel soon, rather looking for future travel ideas. When COVID calms down

I will keep this short:

Looking for a good family AI (or even an Air B&B)

Kids are 8 and 10

I’d prefer a great beach over a great pool. Kids really want “turquoise water”

Beaches T&C would be our #1 choice, but the price is way too high. Beaches Negril is in the same boat.

Any suggestions for somewhere to start looking? Decent Snorkeling off the beach would be an extra plus
Last edited by Easto on Apr 11th, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
Too generic of a message for people to give you suggestions. Wait a few months to see what happens with the virus before you make any travel plans.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13085 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mcbg1 wrote: Too generic of a message for people to give you suggestions. Wait a few months to see what happens with the virus before you make any travel plans.
This

The Caribbean, Mexico & Cuba are lagging seemingly behind Covid hitting their shores

So last in ... they’ll also be last out of the woods

Not to mention that some of these Destinations are gonna get hit VERY VERY HARD

Cuz of their socio economic situations (2nd & 3rd world countries )

My best advice ... THINK CANADA for vacation for the next year or so
Cuz even the USA could be problematic longer than us
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10135 posts
3153 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Easto wrote: Beaches T&C would be our #1 choice, but the price is way too high. Beaches Negril is in the same boat.
I doubt your family would be going to either of these places soon anyway.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turks ... os-islands

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica

By the time international tourism returns, many places may have reduced prices due to a need to attract guests.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2550 posts
1283 upvotes
Ottawa
Easto wrote: I will keep this short:

Looking for a good family AI (or even an Air B&B)

Kids are 8 and 10

I’d prefer a great beach over a great pool. Kids really want “turquoise water”

Beaches T&C would be our #1 choice, but the price is way too high. Beaches Negril is in the same boat.

Any suggestions for somewhere to start looking? Decent Snorkeling off the beach would be an extra plus
Well who knows what the market looks like in 2022 because that is when you will next be able to travel comfortably to the Caribbean. Next winter best case we have a lot more freedom than now but barring a widespread vaccine which would be a miracle so soon, we will still have at a minimum the 14 day quarantine on return. Now you might be willing to do this but most people won't so it is doubtful there will be many flights.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1550 posts
1185 upvotes
This is for our next family vacation at some point when travel is COVID safe.

Long term travel goal
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13085 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Easto wrote: This is for our next family vacation at some point when travel is COVID safe.

Long term travel goal
In that case ...

Keep watching, there will be deals eventually that will match up when things are much safer.

And don’t give up on that dream ... Beaches T&C is a worthwhile place to aim for.

Beaches is part of the Sandals Group ... they will market hard when things get better ... prices will come down ... deals will happen.

When the time is right ... look at both booking thru a package (ie Air Canada Vacations) as well as what it will cost to book direct.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2550 posts
1283 upvotes
Ottawa
Winter 2022-23 the market will hopefully be back. I wouldn't be surprised if the higher end properties Beaches have huge demand that first season back with no return quarantine. Wealthier people will have substantial pent up demand. Lower end resorts in Mexico might have to give away rooms to fill them when things return.

Another idea could be a Carribean cruise. Gives you a taste for several islands and some great beaches that don't have enough water to support resorts. I imagine they will be priced well for the near future. A stop in Atlantis water park would be great for 8+-10+ year olds, but I wouldn't want to spend a whole week there.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1829 posts
1352 upvotes
GTA West
Easto wrote: This is for our next family vacation at some point when travel is COVID safe.

Long term travel goal
Exactly. This a time to be dreaming of better times!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1829 posts
1352 upvotes
GTA West
I suspect that cruising will be the last type of leisure travel to come back. Pax come from all over the world and some form of COVID will be circulating somewhere for quite some time. And maintaining virus hygiene on cruise ships appears to be nearly impossible.

The only carefree travellers will be the immune and the vaccinated.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1550 posts
1185 upvotes
I wanted to try a cruise, but this COVID spell has for me off that idea.

Seeing how COVID ripped through ships makes me realize a cruise ship is like a Petri dish.

Yes, I realize you’re Very unlikely to get sick from a ship, but I’m not too big a cruises right now.

But I bet they come back dirt cheap