[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5878 posts
726 upvotes
Markham

family trip to vancouver - drive one way

Hi all,

looking for some discussion as to whether it is possible to rent a car and drive one way from Toronto to Vancouver, and then drop off the car at the airport in Vancouver...in a cost fffective way.

I think enterprise said they wanted $3,000 - most of which was a drop fee lol.

Anyone have any experience with this and/or know if its possible?

I have tons of MR/SPG points if that helps any.

Thanks,
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22848 posts
21695 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The issue as I understand it is the rental car is registered in Ontario (Registration, License & Insurance)
So it has to somehow make its way back to the Province
And one way long distance rentals are rare
And getting a car otherwise driven back (Employee)
Or hauled back (outside company)
Expensive

Because, the distance is afterall about 4500 Kms
And drive time in excess of 4 Days one way ... plus expenses
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18626 posts
6032 upvotes
London
fly into Calgary, then rent/ drive into Vancouver

or swoop into Edmonton, rent/drive to Vancouver, then swoop home from abottsford
Aug 9, 2015
482 posts
312 upvotes
Calgary
l69norm wrote: fly into Calgary, then rent/ drive into Vancouver

or swoop into Edmonton, rent/drive to Vancouver, then swoop home from abottsford
This is probably the cheapest method. If you must drive from Toronto to Vancouver the one way drop off fee will be atrocious and there is really no way around it. You can also call every car rental location in GTA, there's about a 0.01% chance they have/had a one way rental from BC that needs to be returned back to lower mainland.
But at what cost
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
Drop off charges are what add up the cost of rentals. Even renting in Calgary or Edmonton, the drop off charge can be very high. The car has to go back to the original rental agent.
Sometimes there are rental cars here that need to be transported back to their originating agency. You can check with them if they have such a vehicle.
Never used this service but they are around;
http://hittheroad.ca/
https://www.flightnetwork.com/blog/how- ... h-america/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5878 posts
726 upvotes
Markham
thanks everyone...looks like its a no go to drive one way

hittheeoad looks interesting, but with a family with 2 kids under 2, likely wont meet my needs, unless very lucky
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8383 posts
4077 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you can wait until next spring (April or May sometime), the rental RV companies (namely Canadream and Cruise Canada) usually have "cheap" pre-season specials to move their RVs from Toronto or Montréal to Vancouver. Did that last year (prepaid no refunds 3-4 months ahead of time) and it costed ~$1300-1400 for 3 weeks and about the same in fuel. This year, daily rates were $10 higher and the vehicles had to be returned to Vancouver about 2 weeks earlier (middle of May vs end of May) which is a PITA as most national parks, provincial parks in Ontario and perhaps a good number of provincial parks in the west won't be open for camping.

FWIW, check if the above rental rate you were quoted includes kms or not (I'm curious).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5878 posts
726 upvotes
Markham
thriftshopper wrote: If you can wait until next spring (April or May sometime), the rental RV companies (namely Canadream and Cruise Canada) usually have "cheap" pre-season specials to move their RVs from Toronto or Montréal to Vancouver. Did that last year (prepaid no refunds 3-4 months ahead of time) and it costed ~$1300-1400 for 3 weeks and about the same in fuel. This year, daily rates were $10 higher and the vehicles had to be returned to Vancouver about 2 weeks earlier (middle of May vs end of May) which is a PITA as most national parks, provincial parks in Ontario and perhaps a good number of provincial parks in the west won't be open for camping.

FWIW, check if the above rental rate you were quoted includes kms or not (I'm curious).
cant realyl wait as this is our summer vacay, but good to know for future.

I believe it did include km, but I may be mistaken, or it likely wasnt enough.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4505 posts
2165 upvotes
Calgary
Flying to Calgary -> drive to Vancouver is really your best bet price wise and scenery wise. You are not getting to see much driving the prairies and Northern Ontario. The drop off fee a province away is much lower than from Ontario, and in fact I believe does not apply from Alberta to BC (checked and a week in July only comes to 1200$ for the rental).
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2783 posts
2208 upvotes
GTA
I booked a trip where we will land in Edmonton and drive to Vancouver Island. Compared Edmonton and Calgary and Edmonton was both cheaper for flights and car rental.

It was unfortunately too expensive to leave the car in Vancouver so I'll be driving back to Edmonton afterwards.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)