• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 11:33 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
kareshi wrote: The fan consumes quite a bit of power and your hydro bill will go up quite a bit.. use with caution
Depends on the furnace.

My furnace has a DC motor(ECM variable) which are more efficient than AC motors. It also drops the speed when in "fan only" mode to half of the cooling fan speed so its consumption when running is 50W. If I run fan only for 24hrs that works out to 1.2kWh....or less than 20¢/day when all hydro fees are considered.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
kareshi wrote: The fan consumes quite a bit of power and your hydro bill will go up quite a bit.. use with caution
Only if you have a low efficiency AC fan. A low power ECM fan is uses very little power.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
I have a new ecobee. My comfort settings all have fan on auto. And under "system", the min run time is supposed to be at least 30 min every hour.

But when I look at my history, it doesn't fire on during sleep mode. In fact, it appears that it doesn't fire on the fan only.

The fan min run time seems to be meet bc the heat comes on and in some cases, the fan stays for a few min after the heat turns off. BUT.. the fan never turns on solo.

What's odd is that if I manually turn the fan on, it works!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the fan to fire on by itself under auto?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2123 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
Well, you say yourself that the "minimum fan run time" of 30 minutes is met by the heater coming on. So it sounds like working as intended?

If you want the fan to run by itself, you could increase the time met or just leave it on all the time and see if that works.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)