Fanshawe MRT Students

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2013 10:26 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts

Fanshawe MRT Students

Hi guys,

Just started this thread so Fanshawe Medical Radiation Technology students could share information and get to know each other before September!
27 replies
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Hi everyone! So glad to see that someone created a thread for the MRT group!
My name is Chantal and I've accepted my offer at Fanshawe for this September (was my 1st choice) :)
Hope to hear from other people in the group. Maybe we could create a Facebook group also? Just a thought. :P
[OP]
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Ya sounds like a good idea!! Anyone go to the open house? What kind of info was presented?
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Hey, first off congratulations to those who got into the MRT program at Fanshawe. I will be excited to meet and work/study with you guys next year!
I also concur for an MRT Facebook Group as well to keep in touch.
I went to the open house this Saturday so I'll provide a brief summary of my experiences with the MRT program tour.
I had a lovely chat with two MRT students in their third year currently doing clinical placement in their designated hospital assigned. They both completely love the program and wished they knew about the program earlier as one student completed her undergrad degree and another student applied after finishing her Pre-Health Science program. In terms of course load, the MRT program at Fanshawe is intense with 6 courses per semester (if I remember correctly, the courses are outlined on the Fanshawe MRT website) and they are usually tested every week on the materials. Sometimes it can be twice or so a week. Textbooks range up to 800-1000 dollars for the first year however, they mention that the textbooks are used again for the upper years so it's good to keep them as references. Regardless, almost everything they learned is required for their career. During lab time, labs are split into two-three classes; 20-30 each or less for optimal learning and teaching. They have one big lab with 3-4 radiography machines. Meanwhile, lectures are composed of usually the entire group of people in the MRT program. They mention that the instructors for the program are really kind and dedicated into teaching. They usually know you on a one to one basis. However, the students stressed that this program is intense and studying everyday is mandatory to keep up with the pace of the materials learned. In case you ever need to practice on the radiography machines for your assessment, it can be booked.

There are around 50 - 60 spots as I have heard and one of the registrar on campus was kind enough to tell me that the number of the applicants this year ranged over 1000 making MRT one of the most competitive programs on their campus.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Thanks for all the extra info David!! I can't wait to get started in the fall !
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Wow! Thanks for all that great info David! I also went to visit on Open House Day and I talked to one of the 3rd years about the program. I don't know if it was because it was at the end of the day (near 2pm)... he seemed a little tired or shy or something because he didn't give me as much info as I was expecting. That being said, he told me that he was currently doing his clinical at University Hospital and was enjoying it so far.
On a side note, I know someone who is in her 1st year in the program, and she tells me that that the program is very overwhelming at times (over 30 hours of class/week and lots of studying is needed to be on top of things)... it all sounds very intense, but as long as you study regularly and participate, you should be fine!
Also, a member of the admissions team from the registrar's office told me that MRT was THE top (most competitive) program by far this year. She said that they had 1700+ applicants this year!!! Wow! So, hopefully all you guys who got in will feel proud of such an accomplishment! *pats own back* :)
I think that once more people start accepting offers and the spots in the program are determined (in May or June), one of us could think about setting up a Facebook group for Fanshawe MRT Class of 2016 (I noticed that there are groups for class of 2014 and 2015). :P
Anyhow, hope to hear from you guys again or others soon!
Chantal
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
ccormie4 wrote: Wow! Thanks for all that great info David! I also went to visit on Open House Day and I talked to one of the 3rd years about the program. I don't know if it was because it was at the end of the day (near 2pm)... he seemed a little tired or shy or something because he didn't give me as much info as I was expecting. That being said, he told me that he was currently doing his clinical at University Hospital and was enjoying it so far.
On a side note, I know someone who is in her 1st year in the program, and she tells me that that the program is very overwhelming at times (over 30 hours of class/week and lots of studying is needed to be on top of things)... it all sounds very intense, but as long as you study regularly and participate, you should be fine!
Also, a member of the admissions team from the registrar's office told me that MRT was THE top (most competitive) program by far this year. She said that they had 1700+ applicants this year!!! Wow! So, hopefully all you guys who got in will feel proud of such an accomplishment! *pats own back* :)
I think that once more people start accepting offers and the spots in the program are determined (in May or June), one of us could think about setting up a Facebook group for Fanshawe MRT Class of 2016 (I noticed that there are groups for class of 2014 and 2015). :P
Anyhow, hope to hear from you guys again or others soon!
Chantal
WOW! 1700+ applicants?!?! That's insane....Makes me appreciate the passion for this program even more.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
Sorry I have been MIA. I also went to the open house. I meet with some of the third year students who had done their placement at Vic in the emergency dept. The placements are all over the province and in various settings. I was told that the course load is intense the frist year with approx. 30 hours per week. The students all write the CAMRT exam together in May, which gives them about one month to study at the end of school. Overall, they were very happy with the program!
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
Oh also, the MRT program is the most competive program at fanshawe and very difficult to get into as you must have post secondary education. On the point system I know the cut off last year was 160 and nursing was only 127. Im not sure what the point cut off was this year, but I know I had 168. We should all be very proud! Congrats everyone.
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Hey, just wondering, since I already got accepted, was wondering if they could revoke your acceptance on let's say you did bad on one course and it bought your GPA down a little.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
JDavid_Le wrote: Hey, just wondering, since I already got accepted, was wondering if they could revoke your acceptance on let's say you did bad on one course and it bought your GPA down a little.
All offers are conditional, however you would know by now if they revoked your offer. Also, any courses not taken by the deadline cut off are given a 65% so as long as you did better than that your fine.
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
JDavid_Le wrote: Hey, just wondering, since I already got accepted, was wondering if they could revoke your acceptance on let's say you did bad on one course and it bought your GPA down a little.
Hey! Just wondering... are you currently taking Pre-Health Science and that is why you're afraid they'll revoke it? I'm currently in a registered Nursing program and when I called to ask if my offer was conditional she said no and they don't need to see any of my final course marks... only if the courses you are taking are all "required" in order to get in (ie. Pre-health).

Either way, I'm sure you will be fine as long as you don't fail anything. :)
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
ccormie4 wrote: Hey! Just wondering... are you currently taking Pre-Health Science and that is why you're afraid they'll revoke it? I'm currently in a registered Nursing program and when I called to ask if my offer was conditional she said no and they don't need to see any of my final course marks... only if the courses you are taking are all "required" in order to get in (ie. Pre-health).

Either way, I'm sure you will be fine as long as you don't fail anything. :)
Thanks ccormie! I'm currently finishing up my undergraduate degree and I know that they do not need to check your final transcript however before applying, I also made a payment to have my transcript delivered at the end of my term. So just being precautious if any of my grades turn out bad and they can revoke the offer (I already accepted).
P.S none of the courses that I am currently taking are required.
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Does anyone know if there is a tuition fee we have to pay to ensure our spot and when the deadline is? I have not received any mail or email regarding this matter yet.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
JDavid_Le wrote: Does anyone know if there is a tuition fee we have to pay to ensure our spot and when the deadline is? I have not received any mail or email regarding this matter yet.
I have not received any information as of yet. I know the 1st payment is due June 25, 2013. This is the information I found on the website.

•First Fee Payment deadline is June 25, 2013
•Admission Conditions must be met by August 13, 2013
•First day of classes for most programs is September 3, 2013

I think the deposit is $300.00 if you don't pay the tution up front.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
All keep in mind, there is a WRIT assessment that must be completed prior to September.
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
amurphy714 wrote: All keep in mind, there is a WRIT assessment that must be completed prior to September.
Thanks a lot of the update! I tried contacting the program coordinator ever since then, however I guess he is away for the time being. I'm hoping to receiver a letter from Fanshawe soon to explain what needs to be done.
Jul 18, 2013
1 posts
Hi, my name is Kylie Trotter. I'm currently going into my second year of the MRT program at Fanshawe College and I found your thread. I just thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have and give advice if you'd like it :) I'm sure we will see each other around come September. Congratulations on your acceptances!
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Hey,

I hope you all received your Fall schedule for MRT.

If not, this is the list of courses we will be taking during Fall:
RADL-1001-04 - Radiographic Procedures 1 - 8.0 Hours per week
2 RADL-1002-04 - Diagnostic Imaging 1 - 5.0 Hours per week
3 RADL-1003-04 - Medical Radiation Sciences 1 - 5.0 Hours per week
4 RADL-1004-01 - Patient Care - 2.0 Hours per week
5 RADL-1005-01 - Anatomy & Physiology 1 - 3.0 Hours per week
6 SOCI-7003-02 - Intro to Sociology 1 - 3.0 Hours per week
7 WRIT-1048-97 - Reason & Writing 1 for HLT - 3.0 Hours per week

I was wondering if it is mandatory to take Intro to Sociology 1 as this seems to be a gen.ed course according to the schedule layout list. Can we transfer to another gen.ed course? The Fanshawe Gen.Ed selection courses do not have a list for the MRT program and I tried calling the program coordinator but I guess he’s out for the day. Please advise.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
I received my schedule as well and was wondering the same thing about the elective course. Also, are you in class D? When I go into the grid it says Program/Class: MRT11 Class D....just wondering if we are all on the same schedule?
JDavid_Le wrote: Hey,

I hope you all received your Fall schedule for MRT.

If not, this is the list of courses we will be taking during Fall:
RADL-1001-04 - Radiographic Procedures 1 - 8.0 Hours per week
2 RADL-1002-04 - Diagnostic Imaging 1 - 5.0 Hours per week
3 RADL-1003-04 - Medical Radiation Sciences 1 - 5.0 Hours per week
4 RADL-1004-01 - Patient Care - 2.0 Hours per week
5 RADL-1005-01 - Anatomy & Physiology 1 - 3.0 Hours per week
6 SOCI-7003-02 - Intro to Sociology 1 - 3.0 Hours per week
7 WRIT-1048-97 - Reason & Writing 1 for HLT - 3.0 Hours per week

I was wondering if it is mandatory to take Intro to Sociology 1 as this seems to be a gen.ed course according to the schedule layout list. Can we transfer to another gen.ed course? The Fanshawe Gen.Ed selection courses do not have a list for the MRT program and I tried calling the program coordinator but I guess he’s out for the day. Please advise.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)