Students

Fanshawe MRT Students

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2013 10:26 pm
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Yup, I am in Class D as well. I still have yet to write my WRIT Assessment in which I will do in the upcoming two weeks.
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys! Im also in the same boat as you all in terms of trying to contact the program coordinator and preparing for 1st year! I guess the coordinator is on vacation or away until mid to late August... but to answer some questions, I found out that although we have a gen ed credit per term, MRT students for some reason get automatically enrolled in the SOCI-7003 course instead of getting to choose a course. It sucks... but if you guys have completed other post secondary courses at other colleges or universities that may qualify as a gen education course, you can get a credit and will be exempt from the course. That is what I did, I applied for a gen ed credit with my previous Womens studies course I took at Western University and got out of the SOC course, so I dont have to take it. :) One less course to worry about! Its $40 for the application, you fill out the form along with a copy or your transcript and hand it over to the registrar. They process applications pretty fast and let you know if you are granted credits or not. I heard they accept many courses in the arts and humanities, and would also accept things like geography or psychology... so I say try it out if you can. :)

I'm also in CLASS D... not sure if that means we will be in the same section! I heard from a 2nd year student that the whole group has class together on many occasions for lecture, but for labs or tutorials we are split into 4 groups (smaller groups makes it better to practice).

Im going to take the WRIT assessment this Saturday. Ill let you guys know how it went! :) Im a little nervous, but ive been told its pretty simple and not to worry about it (We read an article and respond I essay format writing an intro with thesis, body with arguments and end with conclusion. Also make sure to pay attention to proper use of punctuation, I have been told).

Im so excited to meet you all! My name is Chantal by the way. :)
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
Chantal,

Thanks for all your information!

Im going to apply for an internal credit as I have some gen ed classes (psyc) from my previous post secondary education which I completed at fanshawe. I will let you know how it goes. Internal credit applications are free so that's a bonus.

I'm going to take the WRIT assessment within the next two weeks so look forward to hearing your feedback.

Alanna
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the information Chantal and Alanna!

I'll just post the link below just in case someone else has the same problem as us regarding gen. ed courses.
http://www.fanshawec.ca/admissions/regi ... rse-credit

Was also wondering that since some of us have already attended a post-secondary education, are we eligible for "Advanced standing (transferring from another post secondary institution)?" If so, I wonder if there will be any repercussions.

I'm also going to be taking my WRIT assessment within the next two weeks as well.

Cheers,
David
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys! Can you believe August is almost here? School is starting soon! :)
Regarding the WRIT Assessment, I went last Saturday and can tell you that it is pretty simple and straight forward. Im sure you know that it is 50 minutes in length and to bring a pen with you... we were given a short article (2 pages in length) to read, and at the end, it listed instructions to read the prompt, summarize the main points and respond by stating your opinion on it (agree, disagree, etc). So basically, it was asking us to write an essay in response to the article and I was told by a few people who took it in past years not to worry about writing a masterpiece response, but rather focusing on delivering flawless format, punctuation and spelling. Make sure there is an intro paragraph, body and conclusion. If you can follow all of that... you should be ok (I have been told)! :)

Im curious to see how the assessment goes for you! Let me know.
Talk to you soon, Chantal.
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the update on the WRIT assessment Chantal...I'm going next Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I cannot get out of the SOC class; only university credits are acceptable for credit transfers with our program because it is considered an advanced diploma.

Look forward to meeting all of you very soon!!

Alanna
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
London
Kylie,

I was just wondering what the course load is like for the second semester?

Alanna
Ktrotter2 wrote: Hi, my name is Kylie Trotter. I'm currently going into my second year of the MRT program at Fanshawe College and I found your thread. I just thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have and give advice if you'd like it :) I'm sure we will see each other around come September. Congratulations on your acceptances!
Mar 12, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
I'm pretty sure I am placed out of the WRIT course since it is no longer is showing on my timetable or schedule!
After writing the placement, we are advised that grading the tests can take weeks, and the only way to find out if you pass is by looking at your sched on Webadvisor...if it disappears, you most probably passed! :)
Good luck on the assessment guys!