52 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12548 posts
9775 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We love Farm Boy
Been fortunate to live in Eastern Ontario and be a Customer for decades

But they are more of a Specialty Store than a regular full serve grocery store like Loblaws
Perfect for one stop for items that used to be best bought at a bunch of retailers
Bringing together an excellent Produce Store - Bakery - Cheese Store - Fishmonger - and Butcher
But not so great for dry goods (the aisles in the middle of a conventional Grocery Store)
For those items you still got to go elsewhere

SHOULD ALSO ADD - The Produce here is for most their biggest draw. A lot of it is Ontario grown, and extremely fresh. And better quality than many other stores, and often cheaper.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Dec 10th, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4063 posts
1243 upvotes
GTA
I've been to a couple of locations in London. Seems okay but nothing special either. Prices are what you'd expect for a "higher end" grocery store I guess.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19600 posts
4742 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes their sales are pretty good. I am in Leslieville so I've been going to the Leslie and Lakeshore location. Baked goods are also really good. Pricey but similar to Loblaws across the street.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8955 posts
2466 upvotes
London
Farm Boy is the place I'll shop at when I win the lottery. For now, I gotta make due with the slaughterhouse rejects and unloved misshapen vegetables left over at the end of the day at the farmers market.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3578 posts
3803 upvotes
GTA
I just looked through FB's flyer.... seems like a cheaper version of Summerhill Market. The variety is impressive, I hope the quality stacks up.

Then I looked thru Loblaws flyer...same boring , overpriced stuff, week in and week out.... for example, their Farmer's Market goods = ho-hum and so not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8414 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
I have visited the Farm By by Sherway gardens Toronto. The store is pricey. I like the hot and cold offerings for lunch but not cheap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3578 posts
3803 upvotes
GTA
One of FB's new locations will be 740 Dupont Street.....within a 5 minute drive of and square in the middle between a Sobey's and Loblaws....taking the fight right to the big boys backyard! Gotta love it.
fb.PNG
I
Last edited by Kfox on Dec 14th, 2019 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8414 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
Kfox wrote: One of FB's new locations will be 740 Dupont Street.....within a 5 minute drive of and square in the middle between a Sobey's and Loblaws....taking the fight right to the big boys backyard! Gotta love it.
It should get interesting. I wonder if that is head office strategy or finding land big enough for a store dictates where they go?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3578 posts
3803 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote: It should get interesting. I wonder if that is head office strategy or finding land big enough for a store dictates where they go?
Compete with Loblaws, yes....... and so happens an ideal parcel of land nearby .......
fb land.PNG
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1241 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Kfox wrote: One of FB's new locations will be 740 Dupont Street.....within a 5 minute drive of and square in the middle between a Sobey's and Loblaws....taking the fight right to the big boys backyard! Gotta love it.

fb.PNG
Farm Boy is owned by Empire Company Limited, who also owns Sobey's.
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3578 posts
3803 upvotes
GTA
pete_rfd wrote: Farm Boy is owned by Empire Company Limited, who also owns Sobey's.
Did not know that.... I guess that Dupont Sobey's is finished--- it's too small anyway and probably not very profitable
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3850 posts
3123 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Farm Boy is the place I'll shop at when I win the lottery.
If you think Farm Boy is lottery priced, you've never been to Whole Foods or McEwan's.
You do realize Sobey's owns Farm Boy right?

What happened here in Durham Region, Farm Boy took over most of the former Target at Pickering Town Centre. How's this for a fight? Across Liverpool to the west is a big Loblaws, maybe 50% bigger in floor area than FB. Across Kingston Rd. to the north is a big Asian supermarket, Pacific Fresh Food. So far it's surviving. Different customer base vs Loblaws and Pacific. You see much nicer cars in the lot and much better dressed customers browsing at Farm Boy.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12548 posts
9775 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pete_rfd wrote: Farm Boy is owned by Empire Company Limited, who also owns Sobey's.
Good catch

I knew that ... but I forgot it
(Sobey’s bought Farm Boy in 2018)

Latest is they have no plans to change what’s been working for Farm Boy since it’s founding in 1981