Health & Wellness

Are fast food restaurant workers supposed to wear gloves?

[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
328 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Are fast food restaurant workers supposed to wear gloves?

I stopped by a McDonald's at Yonge & Bernard a few days ago and saw that NONE of the employees there were wearing gloves, which was quite shocking considering they're touching and assembling cooked food, which ends up in your mouth within like 30sec. Isn't this against covid policies?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1026 posts
116 upvotes
OP, what da you gonna do?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6026 posts
6258 upvotes
Toronto
No, there is no requirement for this. Gloves can infact sometimes make things worse for transmission on contaminants.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1294 posts
501 upvotes
Vancouver
Heartcloud wrote: I stopped by a McDonald's at Yonge & Bernard a few days ago and saw that NONE of the employees there were wearing gloves, which was quite shocking considering they're touching and assembling cooked food, which ends up in your mouth within like 30sec. Isn't this against covid policies?
It's worse when they wear gloves. They end up touching everything with the gloves AND prepare your food.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2467 posts
1188 upvotes
GTA
someone16 wrote: It's worse when they wear gloves. They end up touching everything with the gloves AND prepare your food.
In one episode of undercover boss, restaurant boss cleans the toilet with gloves on. He then uses same gloves and sponge to clean door handles too. Lol. Video cuts out, not sure if he prepared food with same gloves.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5314 posts
1632 upvotes
0 downvotes
no gloves is fine as long as they wash their hands constantly which is a requirement.

The one thing I was shocked is a lady was making my sub, and wearing gloves, then using the same pair of gloves to handle money and cash register, then went back to make the next persons sub with the same gloves.

hunny, the gloves arent to protect your hands, theyre to protect my sandwitch/sub from getting condaminated with dirty money
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2491 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Heartcloud wrote: I stopped by a McDonald's at Yonge & Bernard a few days ago and saw that NONE of the employees there were wearing gloves, which was quite shocking considering they're touching and assembling cooked food, which ends up in your mouth within like 30sec. Isn't this against covid policies?
When I worked at McDonald's we were taught to wash our hands before coming onto the floor (no matter which section you worked in). I followed those rules and so did everybody else that I worked with. I hope most people are doing the same.

As mentioned, don't put so much thought into the gloves. Just hope that everybody is keeping clean.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2400 posts
559 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
The fact that McDonald's is not food is what you should be worried about, not whether anyone is wearing gloves. OP not saying this is you, but the drive thru lines at McDonald's and all these other fast food places are ridculous, the amount of obesity in this country will be out of control (and it already was) trying to beat the US in obesity rates is not what Canadaians should be aiming for.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2017 posts
1808 upvotes
Ottawa
JACKIE26 wrote: The fact that McDonald's is not food is what you should be worried about, not whether anyone is wearing gloves. OP not saying this is you, but the drive thru lines at McDonald's and all these other fast food places are ridculous, the amount of obesity in this country will be out of control (and it already was) trying to beat the US in obesity rates is not what Canadaians should be aiming for.
I was obese - 6' tall and 330 lb. I lost 145 pounds from 2008-2012. I've kept it off for 9 years and no longer need medication for high cholesterol, for high blood pressure, or to control my asthma.

I still enjoy a burger and a plate of fries on occasion. I also love baked goods, ice cream, wine, and tons of other yummy things. All are loaded in refined sugars, bad fats, and carbs, and "bad for you".

Anything, including junk food, is fine in moderation, provided the majority of one's lifestyle is properly balanced.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5314 posts
1632 upvotes
0 downvotes
Dynatos wrote: I was obese - 6' tall and 330 lb. I lost 145 pounds from 2008-2012. I've kept it off for 9 years and no longer need medication for high cholesterol, for high blood pressure, or to control my asthma.

I still enjoy a burger and a plate of fries on occasion. I also love baked goods, ice cream, wine, and tons of other yummy things. All are loaded in refined sugars, bad fats, and carbs, and "bad for you".

Anything, including junk food, is fine in moderation, provided the majority of one's lifestyle is properly balanced.
I lost a bunch of weight too, I love subway so im going to do what Jerrod did to lose weight, eat healthy stuff like subs loaded with veggies and stuff and hold off on the mayo. etc.
Hi
Nov 17, 2018
172 posts
107 upvotes
What you should look is, if they put the gloves right before preparing your food, and if they touch anything else with those gloves except your food.
At Tim Hortons where I usually take my coffee, there is one person who make sandwiches and another who deal with customers.