• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes

faster webhosting recommendation

I'm currently using shared webhosting and finding my site traffic getting bigger and bigger each month now and I think its ok time to switch to faster webhosting.

I tried to signup for vps hosting through buyshared, however found it very difficult to setup and not beginner friendly at all and in the end couldn't get my website up and running after trying to troubleshoot it for days.

I looked at managed wordpress hosting through namecheap however upon inquiring about free ssl certificates was told there is none, and also the domain name transfer to namecheap seems to be a huge problem for many people. You don't simply change nameservers but rather have to do directs or change the dns. Also they don't have cpanel on it.

I've looked at a few other places but the prices seem quite pricey and setup seems to be difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner friendly fast webhosting that has free ssl certificates and they either setup everything up for you or is very easy to setup your website? I'm finding the jump from shared hosting to the next level to be quite a challenge right now.

Shared hosting (easy to setup) -> vps (very difficult to setup for a beginner and now you have to manage everything)
55 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: I tried to signup for vps hosting through buyshared, however found it very difficult to setup and not beginner friendly at all and in the end couldn't get my website up and running after trying to troubleshoot it for days.
A VPS while (maybe) a faster solution isn't nearly as easy as shared hosting.
You could install something like Webmin/VIrtualmin to make it easier, but it's still up to you to maintain and secure it.
I looked at managed wordpress hosting through namecheap however upon inquiring about free ssl certificates was told there is none,
LetsEncrypt
Cloudflare works too.
the domain name transfer to namecheap seems to be a huge problem for many people.

What problems? I've transferred a bunch in (and lately a bunch out) without any issue.
You don't simply change nameservers but rather have to do directs or change the dns.
Why wouldn't you just change the name server?
I'm not sure what you mean by "directs" or changing the DNS unless it's changing of the authoritative name server.
The right way of doing it is transferring the domain in and changing the authoritative name server in Namecheap to whatever your current DNS is.
Also they don't have cpanel on it.
Cpanel is typically on shared hosts only.
Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner friendly fast webhosting that has free ssl certificates and they either setup everything up for you or is very easy to setup your website? I'm finding the jump from shared hosting to the next level to be quite a challenge right now.

Shared hosting (easy to setup) -> vps (very difficult to setup for a beginner and now you have to manage everything)
Based on your requirements it's probably a better idea to stick with shared. Perhaps someone with a plan that offers more resources.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1095 posts
669 upvotes
Vancouver
Flywheel, WPEngine, GoDaddy all have Managed WordPress Hosting. They will help you get your site setup too, though its not going to be cheap. They even offer Free SSL and a simple interface. This is the best option for someone who doesn't want to deep dive too much into tech.

A VPS with cPanel WHM (not the standard cPanel) installed is another option, though it is harder to manage. If you are already used to Shared Hosting & cPanel, then this maybe your best option. It will be cost effective, while also giving you a proper Web Interface & Support. WHM is kinda daunting at first, but there are more than enough resources on the internet for it. You can even setup cPanel accounts on it and even become a reseller.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
LetsEncrypt
Cloudflare works too.
I inquired about this during online chat with one of their employees and her answer was no, you need to purchase an ssl certificate.
death_hawk wrote:
What problems? I've transferred a bunch in (and lately a bunch out) without any issue.

Why wouldn't you just change the name server?
I'm not sure what you mean by "directs" or changing the DNS unless it's changing of the authoritative name server.
The right way of doing it is transferring the domain in and changing the authoritative name server in Namecheap to whatever your current DNS is.
Read the comments here. A lot of people seem pissed off with their domain migration over to managed wordpress hosting there.
https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowl ... rty-domain
In case you prefer to use EasyWP with an external domain name, the following options may be used:

Add an ALIAS Record

Set up FreeDNS

Create a redirect
A customer commented this
Pointing a domain name from any hosting to EASYWP is a nightmare - the link given is useless, instead there should have been nameserver details and not a link, UP your game guys. And then the support team are sending me to this page with the same instructions which are useless and with all these bad comments at the bottom. Transparency is what customers want guys.
another customer:
I am really disapointed that after URL forwarding, only the FREE address provided with EasyWP is displayed in the address bar !!!! WHY??? I want see MY domain in address bar!! Can I do this with DNS?
Otherwise I will cancel the service. What can I do with your unreadable free address!!! Do something about this, or you will lose your customers.
death_hawk wrote: Based on your requirements it's probably a better idea to stick with shared. Perhaps someone with a plan that offers more resources.
I'm already on the highest tier for shared hosting with my current host. Will be hitting 30k pageviews and 20k users /mth soon. As traffic continues to increase, the site speed will decrease. Also I want to increase site speed to lower than 2 secs. My website right now is averaging around 6 sec due to ads being placed. Was around 4 sec prior to the ads.

I keep on hearing ppl suggest to go with vps hosting after you outgrow the needs of sharedhosting, but setting it up especially for a newbie is a huge pain in the ass. I spent nearly 3 days trying to get it up and still couldn't do it.

I just wished there was something as easy to use as shared hosting but a lot faster like 4-5x the speed of shared hosting with minimal maintenance and having to manage it like with shared hosting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Flywheel, WPEngine, GoDaddy all have Managed WordPress Hosting. They will help you get your site setup too, though its not going to be cheap. They even offer Free SSL and a simple interface. This is the best option for someone who doesn't want to deep dive too much into tech.

A VPS with cPanel WHM (not the standard cPanel) installed is another option, though it is harder to manage. If you are already used to Shared Hosting & cPanel, then this maybe your best option. It will be cost effective, while also giving you a proper Web Interface & Support. WHM is kinda daunting at first, but there are more than enough resources on the internet for it. You can even setup cPanel accounts on it and even become a reseller.
I've heard a lot of bad things about godaddy so probably not gonna use them. Also wpengine is ridiculously expensive for what you get.

I just looked at flywheels prices:

$23/MO

Billed at $275/year.
Includes 1 month free!

1 WordPress install
25,000 monthly visits
5GB disk
50GB bandwidth

This must be a joke. I pay $18 a year for hosting that has 4x the size of disk space, and 1000 gb of bandwidth, and there's no limits on the # of visitors to my site.

Also a cpanel license is around $15/mth is it not? Quite expensive as well :(

Do you have any experience with siteground managed wordpress hosting? Their prices aren't cheap but a hella of a lot better then these 3 companies.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1095 posts
669 upvotes
Vancouver
Managed WP hosting is expensive, but then again it comes with things like Staging, SSL, Security, Emails, everything setup and working properly.

$18/year is a joke and probably are hosted on HostGator or some such shared hosting service. At that price point, it is the best you are gonna get. Seriously there is nothing cheaper than that. If that is too slow for you, then look at adding a CDN or a caching solution such as Fastly. These solutions work excellently for static content driven sites.

The option I recommend would be at-least 40$/month. This would be a Dedicated server with static IPs with cPanel WHM set up on it. WHM is the parent of cPanel, and using it you can even set up other cPanel accounts, to resell to people. While it may seem expensive, these are like roughly a 1000x of your current server, and can really take the load of a heavy site. That 1000x is not going to scale linearly and your site won't load in 1/1000th the time. Just that it'll handle 1000x more visitors, with ease.

Another option for a server is someone like Digital Ocean or Linode. They offer dedicated servers for super cheap (starting from $5/month) but are meant for resellers and tech savvy people. You could take one these and install your own copy of WHM on it, to get it going for cheap.

Also, Webmin is a free alternate to cPanel but nowhere even close in terms of functionality & everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Managed WP hosting is expensive, but then again it comes with things like Staging, SSL, Security, Emails, everything setup and working properly.

$18/year is a joke and probably are hosted on HostGator or some such shared hosting service. At that price point, it is the best you are gonna get. Seriously there is nothing cheaper than that. If that is too slow for you, then look at adding a CDN or a caching solution such as Fastly. These solutions work excellently for static content driven sites.
This is on buyshared shared hosting. Been satisfied with the service so far on shared hosting, not so much with the vps service.
The option I recommend would be at-least 40$/month. This would be a Dedicated server with static IPs with cPanel WHM set up on it. WHM is the parent of cPanel, and using it you can even set up other cPanel accounts, to resell to people. While it may seem expensive, these are like roughly a 1000x of your current server, and can really take the load of a heavy site. That 1000x is not going to scale linearly and your site won't load in 1/1000th the time. Just that it'll handle 1000x more visitors, with ease.
This sounds like overkill for the moment but would be good for later on when I start getting to the 100k+ site visitors a month range. I'm only getting around 400-500 visitors a day right now.
Another option for a server is someone like Digital Ocean or Linode. They offer dedicated servers for super cheap (starting from $5/month) but are meant for resellers and tech savvy people. You could take one these and install your own copy of WHM on it, to get it going for cheap.
I also looked up digital ocean. It seems very tech heavy. Definitely not something I can setup on my own and manage.
Also, Webmin is a free alternate to cPanel but nowhere even close in terms of functionality & everything.
I could probably forgo cPanel, its not a big deal. The only reason why I wanted it was because its relatively easy to use, when compared to the other options. The main thing I really need is wordpress. I could care less what happens in the background as long as security is being taken care of and updates are being pushed out. I guess in this case, managed wordpress would be my best bet eh?

Now the trouble is finding a decently priced one, that is easy to use, and is easy to migrate from and to. I thought namecheap fitted this bill, but after chatting with sales, it didn't seem that way. I don't mind paying for an ssl, but not being able to quickly change nameservers to migrate over to them but instead having to do redirects, use subdomains, or mess with dns, or setup alias is a dealbreaker.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1095 posts
669 upvotes
Vancouver
cPanel WHM is a big deal. It is the one piece of software that can take server from DO and make it into a Shared Hosting server. Nothing else needed. Which is also why it is so expensive and the defacto choice for most hosts. It takes care of server security, updates, Apache/nginx, PHP, MySQL everything.

For you, WHM will probably be overkill, but will be a great learning experience. It is kinda techy, so do expect a steep learning curve. It is also very well documented & there is enough resources on the internet, due it's super wide user base.

However, keeping WordPress and it's various security vulnerabilities in mind, a growing site managed by an inexperienced admin would probably be best on a Managed WP Host. They normally have off-site backups, automatic plugin/theme updates, staging, and other features to keep the management simple.

Namecheap, afaik, is the newest entrant in the Managed WP Hosting space and should be the cheapest. Though, yes, I do see the domain restriction. They want the domain to be registered on NameCheap. Which means you'd need to transfer your domain to them, from your current registrar. That is pretty straightforward process and should even get you a discount on your first year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: cPanel WHM is a big deal. It is the one piece of software that can take server from DO and make it into a Shared Hosting server. Nothing else needed. Which is also why it is so expensive and the defacto choice for most hosts. It takes care of server security, updates, Apache/nginx, PHP, MySQL everything.

For you, WHM will probably be overkill, but will be a great learning experience. It is kinda techy, so do expect a steep learning curve. It is also very well documented & there is enough resources on the internet, due it's super wide user base.

However, keeping WordPress and it's various security vulnerabilities in mind, a growing site managed by an inexperienced admin would probably be best on a Managed WP Host. They normally have off-site backups, automatic plugin/theme updates, staging, and other features to keep the management simple.

Namecheap, afaik, is the newest entrant in the Managed WP Hosting space and should be the cheapest. Though, yes, I do see the domain restriction. They want the domain to be registered on NameCheap. Which means you'd need to transfer your domain to them, from your current registrar. That is pretty straightforward process and should even get you a discount on your first year.
What's your opinion on managed vps hosting? I'm seeing those go for around $25-40 a month such as https://beezerhost.com/index.php.

I'm assuming they take care of everything such as setup and maintaining updates/security/etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1095 posts
669 upvotes
Vancouver
Sadly no. Managed VPS means they will install cPanel on a server and hand it off to you. Support would be able to help in case of major issues, pertaining to the server itself. But they tend to be technical and will not be able to help on website & other software related issues. Their focus is on management of the server itself and ensuring cPanel runs on it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Sadly no. Managed VPS means they will install cPanel on a server and hand it off to you. Support would be able to help in case of major issues, pertaining to the server itself. But they tend to be technical and will not be able to help on website & other software related issues. Their focus is on management of the server itself and ensuring cPanel runs on it.
What do you think about this wordpress hosting from this provider? https://www.hostinger.com/wordpress-hosting

They also offer cloud hosting as well. What's the difference between that? Is that easy to use like shared hosting? https://www.hostinger.com/cloud-hosting
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: I inquired about this during online chat with one of their employees and her answer was no, you need to purchase an ssl certificate.
Oh managed hosting you probably have to buy their certificate (mostly because they're selling the product) but there's nothing stopping them (or you) from sticking something like CLoudflare or a similar service in front of it.
LetsEncrypt would work just fine if you're hosting your own.
Read the comments here. A lot of people seem pissed off with their domain migration over to managed wordpress hosting there.
https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowl ... rty-domain
Both of those comments sound like the original poster has no idea what they're doing.
The easiest way would be to use Namecheap's DNS system that's free. That'd fix everything.
If you don't want to use their DNS, Cloudflare's DNS could easily fix that.
If you're not on Cloudflare, there's ways of fudging it in other ways.
I'm already on the highest tier for shared hosting with my current host. Will be hitting 30k pageviews and 20k users /mth soon. As traffic continues to increase, the site speed will decrease. Also I want to increase site speed to lower than 2 secs. My website right now is averaging around 6 sec due to ads being placed. Was around 4 sec prior to the ads.
Cloudflare. But that's kind of a bandaid.
You're either gonna pay a lot more for shared hosting or you're gonna have to figure out how to use a VPS (or a couple) in a hurry.
I keep on hearing ppl suggest to go with vps hosting after you outgrow the needs of sharedhosting, but setting it up especially for a newbie is a huge pain in the ass. I spent nearly 3 days trying to get it up and still couldn't do it.
It's probably time to pay someone to do it for you.
Shared hosting isn't working and someone new to a VPS is just asking for trouble.
Pay someone to set it up and secure it for you then on a recurring basis to make sure security is up to date.

I just wished there was something as easy to use as shared hosting but a lot faster like 4-5x the speed of shared hosting with minimal maintenance and having to manage it like with shared hosting.
I don't know what your content is like, but I'd start offloading static content to a CDN. No point in loading everything off your hosting plan.
This will buy you some time, but if you're experiencing any sort of growth, you're gonna have to go bigger at some point.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: I could probably forgo cPanel, its not a big deal. The only reason why I wanted it was because its relatively easy to use, when compared to the other options.
Webmin/Virtualmin is similar in terms of ease of use.
But that doesn't do much in terms of security.
but not being able to quickly change nameservers to migrate over to them but instead having to do redirects, use subdomains, or mess with dns, or setup alias is a dealbreaker.
Outside of a DNS server change, are you really changing your records that often?
Wait for a lull where you're not changing anything and set your TTL to something low.
Wait a couple days for that to propagate. While that's happening setup all your existing records in Namecheap.
Change your authoritative to Namecheap. Anything new will go there. Anyone that's already cached will use your old. This isn't a huge deal since there's no new changes.
A couple days later and no one is the wiser. It shouldn't even be that long since you changed your TTL a few days prior.

Or better yet, instead of Namecheap, use Cloudflare so you get a CDN, cert, and DNS services for free.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1095 posts
669 upvotes
Vancouver
wolf30 wrote: What do you think about this wordpress hosting from this provider? https://www.hostinger.com/wordpress-hosting

They also offer cloud hosting as well. What's the difference between that? Is that easy to use like shared hosting? https://www.hostinger.com/cloud-hosting
Hostinger - first time I am hearing about them. The site seems decent.

Cloud hosting, basically means, glorified shared hosting. The major difference is that, in Shared Hosting, the site is still tied to the server it is hosted on. It lives on a particular server, and those resources are shared amongst a very large number of sites, on a first come first serve basis.

On Cloud hosting, there is no one server your site is tied to. The server provider has a large pool of servers, on which they try and pack as many sites as possible. Due to the flexibility of the software underneath, they can literally pack sites like Tetris. Each site has resource limits based on what you pay, and it is moved between servers, as needed. Due to this flexibility, one can scale a site within minutes instead of hours/days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Oh managed hosting you probably have to buy their certificate (mostly because they're selling the product) but there's nothing stopping them (or you) from sticking something like CLoudflare or a similar service in front of it.
LetsEncrypt would work just fine if you're hosting your own.

Both of those comments sound like the original poster has no idea what they're doing.
The easiest way would be to use Namecheap's DNS system that's free. That'd fix everything.
If you don't want to use their DNS, Cloudflare's DNS could easily fix that.
If you're not on Cloudflare, there's ways of fudging it in other ways.

Cloudflare. But that's kind of a bandaid.
You're either gonna pay a lot more for shared hosting or you're gonna have to figure out how to use a VPS (or a couple) in a hurry.

It's probably time to pay someone to do it for you.
Shared hosting isn't working and someone new to a VPS is just asking for trouble.
Pay someone to set it up and secure it for you then on a recurring basis to make sure security is up to date.

I don't know what your content is like, but I'd start offloading static content to a CDN. No point in loading everything off your hosting plan.
This will buy you some time, but if you're experiencing any sort of growth, you're gonna have to go bigger at some point.
I'm already on cloudflare and using caching plugins as well. I run a niche blog and posts anywhere from 4-10 times a month and the content isn't really updated.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3157 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Managed Wordpress hosting is expensive (especially good providers). For the love of all that is holy do not use someone like GoDaddy or HostGator for a business site. Nothing screams amateur hour more than when i see that stupid gator picture on a website who went over their bandwidth by 1MB.

If you have the knowledge and time to manage your own server that's way better bang for your buck, but i didn't want the hassle. It sounds like you don't really know what you're doing, so i think you're better off going with a managed wordpress provider.

I've personally used a LOT of the managed Wordpress hosting options so ill put my thoughts below. They all include free SSL via letsencript.

WPEngine is expensive because they're arguably the best, their customer service is amazing and knowledge, not like the idiots i encounter everywhere else. I use them for mission critial stuff (ie stuff i can't afford to have go down) and strongly recommend them to clients since they're so reliable. For a business the cost is reasonable, especially when you have multiple sites and no time to manage a server yourself.

FlyWheel is more or less the same as WPEngine (was actually just bought by them). Good performance but doesn't include CDN which i found annoying given their price. A little cheaper than WPEngine.

Pressable I've used them for a few years. Customer service has gone downhill (their 1st tier responders are idiots now - they used to be great). If you have an issue and get it escalated past the first group they're amazing. I had the idiots troubleshoot a question i asked (that was on their end) on my LIVE PRODUCTION server causing it to go down momentarily, instead of making a clone of the site and troubleshooting it there. They also updated themes/plugins when i specifically asked them not to until a certain date. Instantly started moving all my sites off once this happened, but their pricing is cheap for great speed. They just moved to a different/upgraded server setup.

Cloudways by far the stupidest customer support of the bunch, but great bang for your buck on the cheaper site. It's more of a DIY panel so less help is offered. I had random issues that support couldn't solve so i gave up on their service. When it was running properly it was ok but i would definitely not recommend them.

Closte currently using them now for all my personal and non-mission critical stuff. Completely pay as you go, so you only pay for the bandwidth/resources that you actually use. Can be expensive if you have a crappy bloated website, but if you're building an optimized site properly it's great bang for your buck. I currently host 5 small wordpress sites for $15USD a month for all of them (they're low bandwidth). It's all on Google's hardware so its BLAZING fast. Support is geared towards IT people so don't expect any help unless the problem is their fault. Backoffice is basic but easy to use. They've been very knowledgeable but again its not geared towards the same crowd as WPEngine.

The others that i've considered using but haven't tried yet:

SiteGround: better than GoDaddy/HostGator, but worse than all the above. I don't trust any provider that offers "unlimited" hosted websites for a fixed price so i've never used them.

Kinsta about the same as WPEngine except more expensive.

Pagely if you want to see what expensive really is.

Media Temple i forgot why now but there was a reason i didn't like them, they look OK.

edit: spelled closte as close by mistake
Last edited by Ecsta on Dec 27th, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Hostinger - first time I am hearing about them. The site seems decent.

Cloud hosting, basically means, glorified shared hosting. The major difference is that, in Shared Hosting, the site is still tied to the server it is hosted on. It lives on a particular server, and those resources are shared amongst a very large number of sites, on a first come first serve basis.

On Cloud hosting, there is no one server your site is tied to. The server provider has a large pool of servers, on which they try and pack as many sites as possible. Due to the flexibility of the software underneath, they can literally pack sites like Tetris. Each site has resource limits based on what you pay, and it is moved between servers, as needed. Due to this flexibility, one can scale a site within minutes instead of hours/days.
I just tried adding their premium managed wordpress into my cart and it looks quite deceptive. The price quickly jumped into 11.95 a month + $4.99 setup fee for a month by month basis or $2.15 a month for a 4 year term. Then there's all these extra addon fees like $.95 a month for daily backups, $9.95 for cloudflare, and $1.99 for priority support they are pushing.

I'm not doing business with companies like this, with no transparency. Guess its back to looking for another provider.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: I'm already on cloudflare and using caching plugins as well. I run a niche blog and posts anywhere from 4-10 times a month and the content isn't really updated.
Load balancing would be my next step.
2 shared hosts is better than one. 3 is better than 2.
EZPZ since you're mostly static.
It'd be much more difficult if it was something like a forum where updates are constant.
Unless you have a giant comments section.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1729 posts
156 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Load balancing would be my next step.
2 shared hosts is better than one. 3 is better than 2.
EZPZ since you're mostly static.
It'd be much more difficult if it was something like a forum where updates are constant.
Unless you have a giant comments section.
What do you mean by load balancing? I only have 1 site right now with a lot of traffic that has its own shared hosting plan. I have another tiny one hosted on a different shared plan that is not connected to it in any way.
Don't get a lot of comments yet.
I think I will give namecheap a try for a month, with a new domain that I purchased recently and see how well it fairs on there before deciding to move my bigger site on over.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12324 posts
3483 upvotes
take a look at directhosting.ca, very reasonable pricing for what they provide
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop