Fastest Way to Independently Learn French

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2008 9:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote

Fastest Way to Independently Learn French

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to learn French? I am thinking about doing this, and hoping for some insight from anyone who has taught themselves French?

I am also interested in finding out what are the best methods for learning French independently? What works? What doesn't

Thanks in advance
5 replies
Feb 14, 2008
111 posts
I had to take a year long french course for IB last year and it basically boiled down to teaching yourself enough french for the final exam.

I would suggest immersing yourself into the language as much as possible. Read french books/articles/anything, watch french tv, listen to french music (with lyrics) and speak french to other francophones. The best and most effective way would be going to france and isolating yourself in their language for maybe a month, and you would probably pick up the language quite well. So the more french stuff you surround yourself with, I'm guessing the faster you would pick up the language.

I found speaking to be the hardest because you don't really have time to think about how you want to say something. Reading is fairly easy to pick up as the grammar conventions aren't really that difficult. Buy yourself on of those french vocab books and just learn as much vocab as you can. This also goes for writing.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2373 posts
57 upvotes
give Rosetta Stone a try.
Jan 12, 2006
203 posts
1 upvote
I've been learning on and off for the past two years. I would recommend taking actual courses at university or alliance francais rather than learning by yourself. You really need actual human contact to grasp everything at least thats how it was for me. If you're really, really serious, look into getting a tutor and taking an intensive immersion course in a french speaking part of the world, thats what i'm planning on doing.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
back to a previous thread.....

Is there some sort of French proficiency test/exam that would allow me to be officially recognized as bilingual?

I am thinking of trying Rosetta Stone (it is expensive!)
Jan 23, 2008
170 posts
14 upvotes
don't do Rosetta Stone

get Michel Thomas, its an audio tape that is absolutely incredible. You can get them at your local library or *cough*Aquire Them*cough*

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)