• Jul 10th, 2020 6:40 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes

Fat Free Cheese?

Where in Canada can I source Fat Free Cheese?

I need it for a recipe.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
I mean... most cheese is like 40% fat.

How you'd replace this to get anything edible is beyond me....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50001 posts
14047 upvotes
ONTARIO
death_hawk wrote: I mean... most cheese is like 40% fat.

How you'd replace this to get anything edible is beyond me....
They have these really low 4% fat cheeses. Thats as far as it goes for a somewhat ok cheese. I did this when body building to control macros & fat intake.
That alone speaks to the taste... but you get good at closing your eyes and imagining.

Theres also these processed yellow square slices totally fat free. Only for adding color and texture. No taste.
Fat free cheese is stricly for sparking your imagination while on some sort of strict diet.

It just doesnt add anything.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16855 posts
4630 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
UrbanPoet wrote: They have these really low 4% fat cheeses. Thats as far as it goes for a somewhat ok cheese. I did this when body building to control macros & fat intake.
That alone speaks to the taste... but you get good at closing your eyes and imagining.

Theres also these processed yellow square slices totally fat free. Only for adding color and texture. No taste.
Fat free cheese is stricly for sparking your imagination while on some sort of strict diet.

It just doesnt add anything.
Salsa cheese is fake but I think that’s what you are referring to
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8429 posts
5307 upvotes
Mississauga
I think I’d have a better taste experience eating partially hardened white glue than fat-free cheese...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4812 posts
2941 upvotes
Milton, ON.
OP did not specify what type of cheese they are looking for.
Cottage cheese can be had 0% fat.
Philly cheese can be had 0%

But if they are looking for FF real cheese, I would love to know who came up with that recipe and why.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19655 posts
6587 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: OP did not specify what type of cheese they are looking for.
Good point.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Good point.

I dont think I have ever seen that here in Ontario, it mostly available in the States isn't it?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19655 posts
6587 upvotes
Toronto
lensbuyer wrote: I dont think I have ever seen that here in Ontario, it mostly available in the States isn't it?
Fiesta farms used to sell fat free cheese, but I am not sure if they still do. (may have been imported?)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11089 posts
4338 upvotes
they remove the fat and replace with carbs I'm assuming. I used to see it at most supermarkets but it was pricey
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Good point.

Yes!

Looking to use it in a low calorie recipe.

It’s for myself to keep calories low.

Yes I know it’s not going to taste like 40% fat cheese
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50001 posts
14047 upvotes
ONTARIO
Easto wrote: Yes!

Looking to use it in a low calorie recipe.

It’s for myself to keep calories low.

Yes I know it’s not going to taste like 40% fat cheese
If thats the case... back in my body building super strict macro days...

I ate allegro 4% fat cheese. Its practically fat free.

https://www.ourcheeses.com/directory/allegro-4
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4812 posts
2941 upvotes
Milton, ON.
UrbanPoet wrote: If thats the case... back in my body building super strict macro days...

I ate allegro 4% fat cheese. Its practically fat free.

https://www.ourcheeses.com/directory/allegro-4
From their website........ now I know what you mean about using your imagination lol
This firm lactose-free cheese contains only 4% fat. One 30 g cube provides 20% of the recommended daily calcium intake and 11 g of protein. Keeps you satisfied until the next meal!.

30g cube satisfied until next meal.... in what world???? When is the next meal? The next bite??
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7249 posts
6421 upvotes
Cottage cheese? I'm pretty sure I've seen non fat cottage cheese
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Allegro used to make 4% cheese but they have backed off and now all of their products are 9% MF http://myallegro.ca/en/products/white-500

The texture is more carby because it is all milk solids. It doesn't melt, it toasts. It doesn't emulsify, it clumps. OP, what are you hoping to do? Low fat cheese doesn't tend to work in recipes. It's designed to be eaten cold (shreds on a salad or taco or slices on a sandwich) not heated.

Once you are < 4.5g of fat per 30g it's not cheese, it doesn't behave like cheese. Allegro 9% is 2.5g fat/30g. In a recipe it behaves more like wood chips.

My universal recommendation is to rework the recipe so that it uses fresh cilantro. Low fat, low carbs, assertive flavour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)