• May 13th, 2019 7:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
619 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

At Fault Accident on G2

Hi,
My wife rear ended a vehicle a few days and damaged the bumper of the car she hit on a right turn that had a yield sign.
The impact couldn't be a big one, as the cars were merely feet away, she was looking left and didn't realize the car in front was not moving.
So, the bumper is damaged.
We offered the lady whose car was hit to repair any damages, shared the insurance info and went separate ways.
Now, 2 days after this whole debacle, the lady's husband is saying that her wife is having back pains and can't move. I even offered to pay for getting new bumper, car rental and even physio sessions but he is insisting on going through insurance.
My wife's on G2 and has a speeding ticket (zero demerit points) that's why I wanted to settle outside insurance.

So, we have booked my wife's G test appointment to get that done but any thoughts on by how much/percentage should I expect my premiums to go up?

What the other party can getting out of this? As the lady that got hit clearly drove away with any problems and their side of story has also been changing every day? I am not sure what their intentions are but doesn't make sense at all...
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13773 posts
8811 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
1. Get insurance to deal with them.
2. Insurance will sky-rocket for your wife.
3. Better off taking Public Transportation.

Your wife hit them, so it's in their ballpark what they want to do.
Last edited by Cheapo-Findo on May 13th, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1104 posts
1316 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
injuredcold wrote:
My wife's on G2 and has a speeding ticket (zero demerit points) that's why I wanted to settle outside insurance.
I just want to say that 0 demerit points means nothing in the eyes of insurance...
If you are convicted, your premium will go up
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5730 posts
5213 upvotes
injuredcold wrote: Hi,
My wife rear ended a vehicle a few days and damaged the bumper of the car she hit on a right turn that had a yield sign.
The impact couldn't be a big one, as the cars were merely feet away, she was looking left and didn't realize the car in front was not moving.
We offered the lady whose car was hit to repair any damages, shared the insurance info and went separate ways.
Now, 2 days after this whole debacle, the lady's husband is saying that her wife is having back pains and can't move. I even offered to pay for getting new bumper, car rental and even physio sessions but he is insisting on going through insurance.

So, we have booked my wife's G test appointment to get that done but any thoughts on by how much/percentage should I expect my premiums to go up?

What the other party can getting out of this? As the lady that got hit clearly drove away with any problems and their side of story has also been changing every day? I am not sure what their intentions are but doesn't make sense at all...
What about it doesn't make sense? It's entirely possible and quite common to walk away from a rear-end accident and develop neck/back pain later on.

At best, it could be a sprain or just a sore neck. At worst, permanent damage and chronic neck/back pain can certainly result from a rear-end impact, even at speeds as low as 10km/hr.

Because the other driver wants to go through insurance, I suspect that they are truly injured. Otherwise, they would be asking you for money.

I would be looking at getting a bus pass for the wife.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1908 posts
1123 upvotes
Speeding ticket and now an accident on a g2? It's unfortunate you're part of this but the only way for her to learn is through the wallet, and you both will certainly be feeling it when she gets booted to facility.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21212 upvotes
Center of Universe
G2 with a speeding ticket an at-fault, plus an injury claim.
She may very likely be dropped by the current insurer and will now have to get high risk insurance coverage.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3921 posts
1280 upvotes
BC
Would you ride shotgun with her?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11885 posts
8138 upvotes
Edmonton
injuredcold wrote: Hi,

They probably feel they can make more money going through insurance rather than through your pocket. It’s entirely their choice. Frankly, you’re better off finding this out right from the start rather than after they start taking your cheques.

It is what it is. Your insurance is going to do whatever it’s going to do. You don’t really have much control here.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1781 posts
504 upvotes
Would a g2 driver have accident forgiveness in their policy? If so use that done.
Apr 15, 2014
959 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't think the other party is making up the back issues. They would need proof. They are probably just making sure that they won't get screwed over on this, hence going through insurance. I would do the same in this scenario. Nothing you can do in this situation. Your insurance could go up by $50-$200 / month. Just remember, it's not the end of the world!
Please respond
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13122 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have accident forgiveness on her policy?
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
619 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Thanks for the feedback guys and also to whoever decided to make light of the situation.
There's no accident forgiveness on G2. I guess it is what it is, will have to face it one way or another
Nov 28, 2006
489 posts
81 upvotes
you will most likely be dropped by your insurance come renewal time
RIBO licenced
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13434 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Better get the lube ready. I’m no saint on the roads, but your wife already has a speeding ticket and now an at fault accident with a G2. At this rate, ride sharing may be cheaper.