• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 1:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
983 posts
49 upvotes
London, ON

At Fault Accident Question

Early last year (Feb 2018) my SO was in an at fault accident. He made an improper left turn and was hit by an on coming car, totaling both vehicles.

He was given an `improper left turn`ticket (non criminal offence) and everything progressed smoothly from there. No issues since.

Today, in the mail we received a letter from the other drivers lawyer and they will be making a claim for damages arising from the accident (under section 258.3 of the insurance act). It`s been nearly 2 years and we`re quite surprised this came.

Has anyone ever dealt with such a situation? I don't even know what to expect from this...will insurance cover what they are claiming or will they be able to take our house/assets?

I am completely freaking out over this.

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1249 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
Let your insurance agent know about it and let them handle it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7418 posts
5445 upvotes
Kitchener
That's what $1M liability insurance coverage is for.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
983 posts
49 upvotes
London, ON
My SO will send this to the Insurance company as soon as he gets home from work (I can't because it's all in his name). I'm just at home freaking out, I have never encountered anything like this and am scared about what kind of financial impact this could have on our family.

Thanks all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7418 posts
5445 upvotes
Kitchener
Tinka844 wrote: My SO will send this to the Insurance company as soon as he gets home from work (I can't because it's all in his name). I'm just at home freaking out, I have never encountered anything like this and am scared about what kind of financial impact this could have on our family.

Thanks all.
Likely no impact.........insurance should take care of it and rates won't change because of being sued.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5294 posts
2858 upvotes
Toronto
Tinka844 wrote: My SO will send this to the Insurance company as soon as he gets home from work (I can't because it's all in his name). I'm just at home freaking out, I have never encountered anything like this and am scared about what kind of financial impact this could have on our family.

Thanks all.
Do a search here or on web. Standard practice to sue right before the deadline.

How much are they sueing you for?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1367 upvotes

Thanks all.

OP, don't be scared. This is typical for Ontario. Your insurance company will be involved. Usually, plaintiff lawyers claim $millions, but proving it is a totally different ballgame. If you want peace of mind, you/or your husband should have a talk with your insurance broker or insurance agent, about the process. They should answer all of your questions. The only thing I can say is that this is typical.

Also, don't give any specific details about the accident. You never know who could be lurking here.

M
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13781 posts
8825 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!