Automotive

Faulty Parking Violation Letter. What to Do?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2015 9:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
97 posts
5 upvotes

Faulty Parking Violation Letter. What to Do?

Hi,

My dad received a letter in the mail saying he has a parking infraction that was not paid and that we need to fight it or plead guilty. The letter stated that the infraction took place in a small town in Ottawa on September this year. My dad retired from driving for the past 3 years and does not own a car. THis is definitely a mistake by someone. No way that he is going to travel all the way to Ottawa to fight it in court as we live in Markham. There is a number on the letter which we called but it goes staright to an answering machine. Anyone came across this situation? What can we do?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If your dad is not planning on registering the car ever again, just ignore it.
Lol at small town of Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1425 posts
343 upvotes
Good thing is, if he is not going to renew insurance there's nothing they can do to him.

EDIT: Ninjaed
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12636 posts
2725 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a scam to me. Call the parking department there as well.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
97 posts
5 upvotes
valeradunets wrote: If your dad is not planning on registering the car ever again, just ignore it.
Lol at small town of Ottawa.
No he is no planning to. The town is Arnprior. Thanks for your help.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4958 posts
4541 upvotes
GTA
Just pay it. Even if he is not planing on driving, the outstanding fine will slowly kill him. He will be thinking about it every day - unnecessary stress.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Also, where is his last set of plates? Maybe they got stolen/ thrown out and someone else is using them illegally.