Automotive

FCA crossmember recall notice never received & missed. Car broke down.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 5:08 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
323 posts
249 upvotes

FCA crossmember recall notice never received & missed. Car broke down.

This is my aunt's 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (80K km). last week she found the front crossmember had been rusted broken. See picture.

Took it to dealership, dealer said there was a recall to extend warranty to 10 years. But the car has passed the warranty period(ends 2019-02). The repair cost is 1600ish.

She never gets a recall notice from FCA. If the recall was known to her, she would have got the car checked. Judging from the pictures, the rust must have been on-going for years. (Indoor condo parking, retired person not driving much). Now she asks me for help because I am younger & work on my cars occasionally. I am not sure if we raise the issue to FCA, how likely we are going to get a remedy/warranty repair?

Any input is appreciated. I plan to call FCA to find out. What kind of escalation route should I pay attention to? Thanks!

Some other forum mentioned the recall notice: https://www.caliberforumz.com/showthrea ... d-warranty

Edit: Just looked at the parts price, it should be done <$800 at an indy shop. Even cheaper if I can find a used one.
Part Number: 68211659AA
https://parts.motorcitychrysler.ca/p/Do ... 659AA.html

18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2587 posts
1394 upvotes
If you rust proofed it at the beginning you could have saved it.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1172 posts
865 upvotes
HAMILTON
"If you rust proofed it at the beginning you could have saved it "

Not that is a really helpful statement ........ NOT...

Was his aunts car and asking on her behalf......
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2321 posts
1579 upvotes
Markham
billy_z wrote: This is my aunt's 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (80K km). last week she found the front crossmember had been rusted broken. See picture.

Took it to dealership, dealer said there was a recall to extend warranty to 10 years. But the car has passed the warranty period(ends 2019-02). The repair cost is 1600ish.

She never gets a recall notice from FCA. If the recall was known to her, she would have got the car checked. Judging from the pictures, the rust must have been on-going for years. (Indoor condo parking, retired person not driving much). Now she asks me for help because I am younger & work on my cars occasionally. I am not sure if we raise the issue to FCA, how likely we are going to get a remedy/warranty repair?
Unfortunately, and I will say this is not just FCA, but this is not considered a "recall". It was a warranty extension and is essentially a secret recall filed under usually a TSB. A recall issued by Transport Canada forces the automakers to send out notices to owners to get them done and there is no time limit. Once in a while the automaker will voluntarily recall something likely to both get better PR but also could see a recall possibly happening and are getting ahead of it thus they will follow the same guidelines as a regular recall requires, Transport Canada will note such a recall. This problem, is more of a quiet admission by Chrysler, they will not publicize it and thus regular people like your aunt or people who spend little time researching new information regarding their cars will be left out entirely. Only enthusiasts will post on model specific forums and share this info with one another as you found on the Caliber forums.
billy_z wrote: Any input is appreciated. I plan to call FCA to find out. What kind of escalation route should I pay attention to? Thanks!

Some other forum mentioned the recall notice: https://www.caliberforumz.com/showthrea ... d-warranty
You could always try to call FCA, unknown how much good that will do. In this specific scenario, I know this forum doesn't like dealerships but a good rapport with a dealer in this instance might've had some recourse. Although who was servicing her car all this time? Surely they would've noticed at least during oil changes or tire changes. If it was the dealer, definitely use that recourse.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
323 posts
249 upvotes
JeganV wrote: .. Although who was servicing her car all this time? Surely they would've noticed at least during oil changes or tire changes. If it was the dealer, definitely use that recourse.
Too bad the car was serviced at an indy shop in Markham. Drop the car in the morning and pickup after lunch. If I were there at oil changes, I might have noticed something.

Good news is that I found a used one on Kijiji for $300. It sure is a common problem for FCA cars. Now I feel not wanting to get a RAM1500.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3769 posts
3139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
@billy_z did your aunt buy the vehicle as brand new as the first registered owner of the vehicle? Or is she a second/third owner of a used vehicle?
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
323 posts
249 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: @billy_z did your aunt buy the vehicle as brand new as the first registered owner of the vehicle? Or is she a second/third owner of a used vehicle?
She is the original owner. Bought the car new in 2009.

Just called FCA this morning, it appears that they know this issue very well. The case manager said they can provide some remedy, just let us wait for call back.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3294 posts
1218 upvotes
If this is not a recall... Call the manufacturer and ask "pretty please"?
Maybe they will do it out of good will. I mean, warranty to 2019, and we just started 2020... just over by a few weeks / months...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3769 posts
3139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
billy_z wrote: She is the original owner. Bought the car new in 2009.

Just called FCA this morning, it appears that they know this issue very well. The case manager said they can provide some remedy, just let us wait for call back.
That might make them a slight bit more inclined to help. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1244 posts
490 upvotes
billy_z wrote: Too bad the car was serviced at an indy shop in Markham. Drop the car in the morning and pickup after lunch. If I were there at oil changes, I might have noticed something.

Good news is that I found a used one on Kijiji for $300. It sure is a common problem for FCA cars. Now I feel not wanting to get a RAM1500.
If its a poor design, why would you go with a used part?
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
323 posts
249 upvotes
ziaa wrote: If its a poor design, why would you go with a used part?
If the used one is in good shape, I just spray some seal/paint on it. My thought is this car can not out last whatever parts I put in...
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10141 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Might also want to spray some rust proofing on it yearly too. Krown or fluid film.
billy_z wrote: If the used one is in good shape, I just spray some seal/paint on it. My thought is this car can not out last whatever parts I put in...
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2587 posts
1394 upvotes
billy_z wrote: If the used one is in good shape, I just spray some seal/paint on it. My thought is this car can not out last whatever parts I put in...
If the front subframe is rotted out like that, what do you think the rear suspension or shock towers will be?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9238 posts
7918 upvotes
Markham
IMO it's an FCA... just... be glad you can toss it and get something that isn't FCA... anything but FCA.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18315 posts
2748 upvotes
Langley
It's not a recall, it's a special coverage warranty, and they don't usually notify customers of that. In any case, even if they did, then it broke outside the warranty coverage, so it would just be like anything else that failed after the warranty was up.

A recall means that they will fix every car. A special coverage warranty means they only fix the cars that exhibit a failure.

I have an 08 GMC 2500 that had a 10 year special coverage for weeping transmission line couplings. I knew about the warranty so I kept an eye out for it, but they'd always been fine with no fluid leaking. I happened to be changing my oil about a week before the coverage was up and noticed some trans fluid on the cooler lines, so I took it in. Because I was able to leave it with them for a few days, they were able to squeeze it in two days before the 10-year mark. Not sure what would have happened if they wouldn't have had space to squeeze me in, but it probably would have worked out.
Last edited by i6s1 on Jan 20th, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.