None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

FDD intermittently runs....

Have an old ( 12 y.o.) AMD/Asus-based desktop that I picked up at a garage sale which came with a FDD (3.5" = have never actually tested it to see if it actually works). Seemingly randomly whenever I am using the wireless keyboard/mouse, it will grind for a couple of seconds (loud and a bit annoying as the computer is my HTPC) as if it were trying to read a floppy. Just wondering what may be causing that. I have not used a computer with a FDD for almost 20 years nor am I aware of any new or archaic programmes that may be trying to access A or B drives (the computer is running Win 10).
Last edited by thriftshopper on Jul 11th, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6269 posts
6563 upvotes
GTA
Is this on boot up? If so that sounds like a normal issue to me, the floppy usually spins the motor during the BIOS check to see if it is there.
If not, disable the damned thing before someone makes fun of you for having a floppy drive. Either that, or set up a cassette player next to it to give the room a real retro vibe.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
BernardRyder wrote: Is this on boot up? If so that sounds like a normal issue to me, the floppy usually spins the motor during the BIOS check to see if it is there.
No not on boot up. Or maybe but I don't notice (yeah, I've used x86 since MS-DOS 2 or 3). Does it randomly when Win 10 is up and running programmes (usually 2 torrent apps and a web browser).
If not, disable the damned thing before someone makes fun of you for having a floppy drive. Either that, or set up a cassette player next to it to give the room a real retro vibe.
Fortunately nicely hidden behind a flap door. I guess I should just disconnect it. None of the old programmes I have on FDD probably work on Win 10 anyway, even in some legacy mode.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Jun 9, 2012
470 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Why use floppy disks? Haven't seen them since 2005. They don't even store a gigabyte of memory.
Sep 12, 2008
188 posts
80 upvotes
Canada
This is usually caused by the antivirus checking to see if there are any disks in the floppy drive. If there are, it will try to do a quick scan.
This is routine, and nothing to worry about. If it annoys you, take out the floppy drive, and if that gives you a free 3.5" bay, you could always
put a cardreader in there to make things look pretty.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
BigBrother0 wrote: Why use floppy disks? Haven't seen them since 2005. They don't even store a gigabyte of memory.
Not even a tiny fraction of. Popular HD 3.5" held 1.44 MB IIRC (formatted or unformatted?) I think there was a 2.88 MB version but that didn't do very well on the market.
shplad wrote: This is usually caused by the antivirus checking to see if there are any disks in the floppy drive. If there are, it will try to do a quick scan.
This is routine, and nothing to worry about. If it annoys you, take out the floppy drive, and if that gives you a free 3.5" bay, you could always
put a cardreader in there to make things look pretty.
Thanks. Most likely explanation. I will disconnect just to remove the annoyance factor. The drive is just a lot noisier than any FDD drive i've heard for quite a while. Then again, it's been years since I heard a FDD grinding away before I got this computer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
havent seen a Floppy Drive in over 15 years. I wonder if any of the magnetic discs are still readable.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9416 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I purchased an IBM 3.5” USB floppy drive in 1998 and I have yet to use it

I purchased an LG external USB DVD RW in 2011 and it is still sealed in the box.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8397 posts
5255 upvotes
Mississauga
I have 3.5” floppies from at least 20 years ago and they still read just fine on an old Win98SE machine I maintain.

1.44 MB is plenty of storage for things like Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8397 posts
5255 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve also lost more files from cheap flash drives going bad than from any floppies.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2654 posts
1780 upvotes
London
shplad wrote: This is usually caused by the antivirus checking to see if there are any disks in the floppy drive. If there are, it will try to do a quick scan.
This is routine, and nothing to worry about.
That's my bet too.
I wonder if an exclusion can be added to the AV, to avoid checking at all.
A few keystrokes vs. opening the case.
thriftshopper wrote: I will disconnect just to remove the annoyance factor.
That's what I did with the zip drive in my old machine.
Half the readers here just did a Google search. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10862 posts
2696 upvotes
Victoria
I had to read this thread because i saw FDD in the title, and I was thinking there's no way someones talking about a Floppy Disk Drive in 2020.

I think I technically have a 3.5" drive somewhere in a spare parts box. I don't think I own any floppies. I could see how some people might keep a spare around in case they need to access an old document of a floppy. At this point the only stuff I might have that is that old are university essay/assignments, maybe even high school ones.

Have you thought about removing it? I know I didn't on one PC, because I didn't have a plastic cover to fill up the gap in the case from removing it. I suppose you could remove the power (molex?) and IDE cable from the back of it?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6269 posts
6563 upvotes
GTA
arisk wrote: That's what I did with the zip drive in my old machine.
Half the readers here just did a Google search. :)
My turn. I have an old W98 machine with...

an internal Syquest EZ135. Still have my parallel port model in my parts storage!
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I was going to say I have 5.25" and 8" FDDs (and FH 5.25" HDDs) but I've only ever had 2 of the 3. Maybe Bernoulli Box for just the name would be cool, as would be a tape backup drive.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14251 posts
3484 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
BernardRyder wrote: an internal Syquest EZ135. Still have my parallel port model in my parts storage!
You got me beat. Mine is the later 230MB model. I always wished that I bought SCSI, but the parallel did come in handy for when I had to reinstall Windows on notebooks pre-USB. Still sitting in a box in a closet :) .

Shame that people went for the cheaper zip drive. The EZ Flyer 230 cost twice as much, but it held 2x more and was 2x faster.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6269 posts
6563 upvotes
GTA
rabbit wrote: You got me beat. Mine is the later 230MB model. I always wished that I bought SCSI, but the parallel did come in handy for when I had to reinstall Windows on notebooks pre-USB. Still sitting in a box in a closet :) .

Shame that people went for the cheaper zip drive. The EZ Flyer 230 cost twice as much, but it held 2x more and was 2x faster.
And Zip drives developed the Click of Death. My SyQuest internal was IDE, I never got in to SCSI. SyQuest drives were pretty good, although some media did go bad on me, no clue why. I loved the see-through casing of each drive, since you could see the metal platter inside.
Floppy disks were pretty good for me. Only cheap brands or ones I had abused ever went bad, overall they were more reliable than USB thumb drives since I have had a bunch of thumb drives go bad on me. It was usually not my fault, and most of them brand names. In hindsight, 3 cheers to the floppy drive...
c'mon get happy!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)