Federal budget expected to offer subsidies for electric cars

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2019 10:39 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3494 posts
2814 upvotes
Richmond Hill
er34er34 wrote: Don't need more base model Model 3's on the road, I find the people driving the base models Tesla's are much more likely to be hypermilers, doing at/below speed limit in the left lane.
Base Model 3s aren't the hypermilers.

It's the short-range ~100km EV's and PHEV drivers.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4246 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto, ON
seafish wrote: You find? Lol. Are there any base model 3 owners here? :D Deliveries haven't started yet.
I RFD wrote: How can you tell theyre base models from the outside? Plus I doubt if many or any have been delivered yet
Can't read?

I said "base model Tesla's" - this includes S 60D's, 70D's. They all drive like grannies, just like Leaf drivers.

This is my observation.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1523 posts
221 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: For non-plugin, no, and there shouldn't be.

The price premium for a hybrid is minor and easily offset through savings on fuel.
i havent researhrched yet but a new 2020 rav4 hybrid. the extra 10 grand for the hybrid model would eventually save u gas money?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1030 posts
936 upvotes
Don't feed the troll. 95% of the drivers doing speed limit in the left lane on 401 in GTA are old folks, in their Buicks, and who is scared enough already.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7597 posts
3942 upvotes
Kootenays
I RFD wrote: So if you buy a car for business use you also dont pay any sales tax? Thats pretty sweet. That's a rebate of 6.24 K (13%) in the 48k example given above. Even sweeter in Quebec as they have higher sales tax and if you can stack with the 8K provincial rebate.
Businesses have always received a full rebate of HST in provinces that have it and GST in provinces that have separate PST/GST for any purchases . It's called an Input Tax Credit, or ITC.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3494 posts
2814 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i havent researhrched yet but a new 2020 rav4 hybrid. the extra 10 grand for the hybrid model would eventually save u gas money?
I assume you mean 2019, because I don't believe the 2020 pricing has been released yet.

According to Toyota.ca, the RAV4 AWD LE starts at $30,690 while the RAV4 Hybrid AWD LE starts at $32,090.

That's a difference of $1400.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3515 posts
2100 upvotes
Ontario
er34er34 wrote: Don't need more base model Model 3's on the road, I find the people driving the base models Tesla's are much more likely to be hypermilers, doing at/below speed limit in the left lane.
OMG - driving at the legal maximum!

How irresponsible to get in your way - you probably need all lanes for weaving!
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Jul 31, 2005
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: Anne is a travelling sales representative working as an independent contractor. She needs to replace the aging gasoline vehicle that she currently uses strictly for her business and is considering the advantages of buying an electric vehicle. Anne drives long distances every day and requires an electric vehicle with a long range. She found that a suitable electric vehicle has a cost of $48,000. With measures announced in this Budget, she could deduct the $48,000 purchase price of the electric vehicle in full in the year she starts using it. This is in addition to the fact that she would be refunded the GST or HST paid. The decision to purchase an electric vehicle would reduce Anne’s federal/provincial income taxes and GST/HST in the year she acquires the vehicle by about $13,000.
Any accountants who can comment on tax write-offs for sole proprietors who have a percentage of there vehicle used for business and how or if the ev tax write-off would work. For example if you drive 40% for business purposes how much would the rebate be using the numbers from the above example.
Dec 3, 2010
132 posts
22 upvotes
romtech2005 wrote: Any accountants who can comment on tax write-offs for sole proprietors who have a percentage of there vehicle used for business and how or if the ev tax write-off would work. For example if you drive 40% for business purposes how much would the rebate be using the numbers from the above example.
Would love to know also. Always hear different things with should you lease or buy a vehicle for business or just write off as Kms? and now to further complicate things, is it worth it to buy an ELECTRIC vehicle for business with this "incentive". Thank you in advance!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1523 posts
221 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: I assume you mean 2019, because I don't believe the 2020 pricing has been released yet.

According to Toyota.ca, the RAV4 AWD LE starts at $30,690 while the RAV4 Hybrid AWD LE starts at $32,090.

That's a difference of $1400.
woops i ment the highlander. at the time to get a hybrid u had to get a limited hybrid and it was 10grand more over the XLE
May 7, 2016
392 posts
308 upvotes
hdom wrote: The people pushing these agendas seems to think the batteries in those EV grow on trees or the electricity to charge those are all generated from renewable resources ??
In many provinces, a big % of the electricity already comes from renewable resources. One of the main issues renewables experience today is that there is no demand at night and it is harder than natural gas to scale up and down, but that will change when everybody has an electric car, charges at home at night and the demand is more stable during the 24h. So this is obviously a step in the right direction.

And even if the electricity comes from coal (and we should definitely work to phase them out), would you rather have a bus polluting in front of your face, or a coal plant in the middle of nowhere?
https://goo.gl/maps/WoUbEc9wuNq
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1686 posts
153 upvotes
onatrio
screwed again
- just wanted the base model 3....by the time the base was released pc's cut the 14000 rebate
and now the liberals mention on 45000 or less..and base is more than that..there goes my liberal vote
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3214 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: What a colossal redistribution of people's OWN MONEY.
MMMPower wrote: this is stupid. stop wasting tax payer's money
So, how do you guys propose we solve the climate change problem?
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3214 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
dcjcdc wrote: screwed again
- just wanted the base model 3....by the time the base was released pc's cut the 14000 rebate
and now the liberals mention on 45000 or less..and base is more than that..there goes my liberal vote
Switching to the Green Party then?
4 years of pain for Ontario...