Federal jobs / security screening step

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 10:50 am
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes

Hello everyone,
I have applied to many Federal gov. Jobs and i was meet the requirements for one and placed in a pool for CR05 Clerical Admn positions in feb 2018.
Then 2 weeks later i got an email to past a test, 2 days after the writting test, i had a phone an interview with the PWSGC HR staff, then few days later they request authorization to proceed a security screening a reliability check, including digital fingerprinting etc.
So mu question was to know if this is a good sign or is it part of the screening process to end up in a fully assessed pool ?
They also sent me the advertisement of the position for which am being assessed.
Its a position in the gov. Pay department.

So am kind of stressing out.
Need your advices.

Update: I got an offer but!

Something really weard haeppened. Indeed after passing the exams, interviews and security screening stuff. They just emailed me saying "After a careful assessment of your file, the Selection Committee concluded that you do not meet one or more of the required criteria required for the position .
And then a month later, I received an offer for a term contratc but for the same position.
So I don't know what happended and did not ask or complain, I just accepted the offer and waiting for the letter to be sent out.
But it's just no sens!
Now i just have to find a way to get to an indeterminate position i guess.

Thank you folks for your advices and support.
Last edited by Staf84 on Mar 10th, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Yes its a great sign that u got picked or screening.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Nov 22, 2016
515 posts
270 upvotes
GTA
Screening process can take a while, sometimes a month or two.

Once the pool is established they hire people from that pool as they need them so its not guaranteed you'll get a job out of it.

Keep applying to other places until you get a confirmation of a job is my recommendation
Manny
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
mannyafzal wrote: Screening process can take a while, sometimes a month or two.

Once the pool is established they hire people from that pool as they need them so its not guaranteed you'll get a job out of it.

Keep applying to other places until you get a confirmation of a job is my recommendation
Thank you for the advice.
I have applied for at least 22 jobs postings with the fed.. I have been rejected for 2 or 3 postion but am retained for the others.
Niw am just Waiting to get a call or an email.
In the meantime i keep applying for any new postings for which i qualify.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6122 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a good sign. Once your security screening results are finished, your name is usually placed in a pool meaning that you are eligible for hire. Then you wait until a manager needs to hire.

BTW: Are you even a little aware of the Phoenix boondoggle?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
skeet50 wrote: It's a good sign. Once your security screening results are finished, your name is usually placed in a pool meaning that you are eligible for hire. Then you wait until a manager needs to hire.

BTW: Are you even a little aware of the Phoenix boondoggle?
Phoenix isn't an issue for all new hires. My husband got hired directly from military to federal government last March, so he was hired as an experienced person (highest pay rate for the EG group he was hired into). He has received proper pay from day 1. The only thing he had to correct was his vacation entitlement. It had defaulted to 15 days (new employee) when it was supposed to be 30 days (federal government counts previous military service time, and hubby had 28 years in military). He managed to get that fixed and is now being credited with his proper leave allotment.

I have heard of some of his co-workers that also transferred over from military to public sector jobs were put into the lowest pay level for their position when they were supposed to be at the highest level like my hubby. Phoenix seems to default to lowest level for new hires, so unless the person inputting the information is careful (which you would hope they should be) then you can get stuck with lower pay than your letter of offer set out - until it is eventually sorted sometime in the next decade or so:)
Jul 23, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
it is hard to say, I am going through the process now for a PM-01, they asked me to fill out a screening form and reliability check 2 weeks ago now and asked for references. My references has yet to be contacted, and still waiting for news.

Getting a job with the feds is a notoriously long process and definitely tests ones patience.
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
Yes i'm aware of what's happening with the phoenix pay system. And i was even wondering about the turn over in the pay and compensation department. It's such seems to be a mess
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6122 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: Phoenix isn't an issue for all new hires. My husband got hired directly from military to federal government last March, so he was hired as an experienced person (highest pay rate for the EG group he was hired into). He has received proper pay from day 1. The only thing he had to correct was his vacation entitlement. It had defaulted to 15 days (new employee) when it was supposed to be 30 days (federal government counts previous military service time, and hubby had 28 years in military). He managed to get that fixed and is now being credited with his proper leave allotment.

I have heard of some of his co-workers that also transferred over from military to public sector jobs were put into the lowest pay level for their position when they were supposed to be at the highest level like my hubby. Phoenix seems to default to lowest level for new hires, so unless the person inputting the information is careful (which you would hope they should be) then you can get stuck with lower pay than your letter of offer set out - until it is eventually sorted sometime in the next decade or so:)
The OP stated it was a job working as a Pay Advisor. You would have to pay me more than an AS02 salary to work at that position right now with Phoenix.
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
I have received my security clearance certificate today. They ask me to sign and send it back.
It went pretty fast as i send the application form and fingerprints last friday. So less than a week.
Will keep u posted.
Jul 23, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
Staf84 wrote: I have received my security clearance certificate today. They ask me to sign and send it back.
It went pretty fast as i send the application form and fingerprints last friday. So less than a week.
Will keep u posted.
Nice!! Seems like they are desperate at the pay center, too bad I am not from Ottawa otherwise I would of applied.
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
Desperate? Oh really? Please don't scare me.. Héhé.
I'm not from Ottawa region. I'm curently in the southwestern Ontario. Near London. But am willing to move there if i get an indetermined contract. Will see
Jul 23, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
Staf84 wrote: Desperate? Oh really? Please don't scare me.. Héhé.
I'm not from Ottawa region. I'm curently in the southwestern Ontario. Near London. But am willing to move there if i get an indetermined contract. Will see
Yeah Phoenix has been a mess and fellow public servants are having numerous problems with pay.. expect to get a earful...

Oh.. I didn’t know they also had a London posting.. I only saw the Ottawa one for pay center.
Mar 7, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
Actually it wasn't a London Posting but Ottawa's. I just applied to it knowing that it was for Ottawa because i wanted to relocate there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Staf84 wrote: Actually it wasn't a London Posting but Ottawa's. I just applied to it knowing that it was for Ottawa because i wanted to relocate there.
You will LOVE Ottawa. I moved here 4 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Seriously.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)