• Mar 21st, 2021 7:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2657 posts
2661 upvotes
Ottawa

Federal Public Service - Changing Departments and Parental Supplement

I know this is better asked of the government HR, but I'd prefer not to bring it up with my employer.

When one changes federal departments, is the employment considered "continous" for the purposes of the parental supplement (top up) qualification requirements?

Specifically ... To qualify for the parental supplement, one needs to be working for at least 6 months and commit to returning to work for 6 months afterwards. If I were to change federal departments or agencies less than 6 months prior to the commencement of my parental leave, do I still qualify for the parental supplement?

I think so. From my interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement(sl and relevant government employment policy briefs, changing departments is considered "continuous service", and eligibility for the parental supplement relates to continous service with the "Employer", defined as The Crown.

I have a potential advancement opportunity, for which I am extremely well qualified, that would see me change departments before I take parental in about 6 months, and want to understand how it works before I apply.

I'm hoping someone either has experienced this, or is experienced with this.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2866 posts
3424 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: I know this is better asked of the government HR, but I'd prefer not to bring it up with my employer.

When one changes federal departments, is the employment considered "continous" for the purposes of the parental supplement (top up) qualification requirements?

Specifically ... To qualify for the parental supplement, one needs to be working for at least 6 months and commit to returning to work for 6 months afterwards. If I were to change federal departments or agencies less than 6 months prior to the commencement of my parental leave, do I still qualify for the parental supplement?

I think so. From my interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement(sl and relevant government employment policy briefs, changing departments is considered "continuous service", and eligibility for the parental supplement relates to continous service with the "Employer", defined as The Crown.

I have a potential advancement opportunity, for which I am extremely well qualified, that would see me change departments before I take parental in about 6 months, and want to understand how it works before I apply.

I'm hoping someone either has experienced this, or is experienced with this.
With a collective Ag, aren't you in union? Best to ask them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)