Shopping Discussion

FedEx Charge - What are my options

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 10:15 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 14, 2021
1 posts
2 upvotes

FedEx Charge - What are my options

Got a bill from FedEx a few weeks after receiving a package. The package was worth just over $300. Fees are as follows:

Disbursement - 10.00
HST on Disb - 7.20
Clearance Entry Fee - 45.35
Canada HST - 52.46
Total = 115.01

Happy to pay the HST and the disbursement, but $45 for a clearance entry fee? Never heard of this before. What are my options to contest this charge, or perhaps refuse the package all together? The package was left on my doorstep, FedEx agent knocked on the door and walked off. I didn't sign anything, and would not have accepted it had I known it would be $115. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
33 replies
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
856 posts
495 upvotes
Victoria
This is how Fedex has done it for a long time. There are a few threads on here about self clearing.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
12143 posts
15201 upvotes
Vancouver
Horsey2345 wrote: This is how Fedex has done it for a long time. There are a few threads on here about self clearing.
That option is only available when you refuse a delivery and the package is returned to the depot for you to self-clear. That was denied to him when Fedex dumped the package on his doorstep and left. The package has now been cleared through customs by Fedex, no self-clear is available to the OP anymore.
superfuzzz wrote: worth just over $300. [...] left on my doorstep
I'd be more upset about that than anything else. Drop & dash is the scourge of 2020/2021. It's bad enough when domestic prepaid shipments are dumped for porch pirates. But when done with an international shipment, not only have you have had the option to self-clear and dodge these fees denied to you, but you are still on the hook for all of it should a porch pirate get to it first. Totally unethical by FedEx. Don't pay them.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20292 posts
4817 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Fedex has some system now where they first deliver the shipment, and then later on they generate the commercial invoice and other customs paperwork, and do the clearance work with CBSA. You can't refuse the package and ask for the commercial invoice, because that stuff hasn't even been generated yet.

The OP has stated that several weeks have passed. This means that FedEx has already done their legwork and performed clearance. Nothing to do now but pay them.

If you want to avoid this in the future, you need to get in contact with FedEx Trade Networks immediately after the items clears customs, even before they leave the shipment on your doorstep.

I have done it before. It was a massive PITA and a huge run-around. The saga lasted for months because of FedEx's incompetence and multiple attempts to bill me, after confirming recepit of my CBSA B15 form.
The details are in this thread: How to Save $14.95 on DHL fees by self-clearing packages
- casual gastronomist -
Member
Jul 20, 2017
201 posts
169 upvotes
hvwkzq wrote: Ignore.
You risk your credit score with this option. You will also get a debt collector, but you won't get anyone knocking at your door for a relatively small amount. But you have to think if it is worth it going through this struggle over $45 of a BS fee.

My suggestion is to call them. I could be wrong, but I believe from other posts I have read in the past, they have the ability to waive the entry clearance fee because I believe that is their fee for clearing it for you. (I might be wrong because I get all the carriers confused in my head with the thousands of posts about self-clearing on this forum)

Good luck!
Here to buy stuff I don't need
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14160 posts
9454 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Call FEDEX and tell them you weren't given the option to self clear or not when they were at your door.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I only use US couriers when they shipped to my box in Detroit. Might be another year before I can drive back there, so there's no US packages coming for me. Anyone other than USPS is really pulling down your pants when they import.

Many companies will use USPS if you ask, if not, go somewhere else.

This exact thing happened to me before and I refused the package at the door. I'd call Fedex and say "I'm refusing this package" and see what happens.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
14272 posts
9041 upvotes
Markham
Not sure where the shipment came from but if it's USA...this is why I've decided to only use Shippsy or Cross Border Pickups. I know the cost to Niagara Falls NY and from there it's only the Shippsy (or CBP) Fee + taxes and duties (if applicable). It's these brokerage and clearance fees I'm worried about because I don't know how much they are and I don't like surprises like this.

I ordered something from the US very recently and although they offered shipping to me here in CDA, I specifically decided not to have it come to me directly. It's coming thru Shippsy.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
856 posts
495 upvotes
Victoria
Kiraly wrote: That option is only available when you refuse a delivery and the package is returned to the depot for you to self-clear. That was denied to him when Fedex dumped the package on his doorstep and left. The package has now been cleared through customs by Fedex, no self-clear is available to the OP any
I'd be more upset about that than anything else. Drop & dash is the scourge of 2020/2021. It's bad enough when domestic prepaid shipments are dumped for porch pirates. But when done with an international shipment, not only have you have had the option to self-clear and dodge these fees denied to you, but you are still on the hook for all of it should a porch pirate get to it first. Totally unethical by FedEx. Don't pay them.
Not true at all, just call them and tell them you wanted to self clear and they didnt give you a chance. Done it several times.
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
856 posts
495 upvotes
Victoria
Not sure what you people are talking about, i’ve never paid more than the tax. Soon as you get the fedex or ups or whatever tracking number just call them and tell them you want to self clear. I know for ups at least you can have it added to your account that you will always self clear.
If they deliver before they send the info just call them and tell them its their problem. Like i said i have never paid more than the tax.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2602 upvotes
Edmonton
superfuzzz wrote: Got a bill from FedEx a few weeks after receiving a package. The package was worth just over $300. Fees are as follows:

Disbursement - 10.00
HST on Disb - 7.20
Clearance Entry Fee - 45.35
Canada HST - 52.46
Total = 115.01

Happy to pay the HST and the disbursement, but $45 for a clearance entry fee? Never heard of this before. What are my options to contest this charge, or perhaps refuse the package all together? The package was left on my doorstep, FedEx agent knocked on the door and walked off. I didn't sign anything, and would not have accepted it had I known it would be $115. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Seems like your only dispute is with the clearance fee. For $45, just eat it. Self-clearance is a hassle. I posted in another thread about the types of FedEx shipments and how it operates. For example, the $10 fee is waived if you have an account with them but then they just automatically charge your account.

Consider it a lesson learned and pay attention to how your item will be shipped and by what method. For example, I made a U.S. order the other day and received my FedEx package in two days with no charges. This is because the company specifically states duty free to a certain dollar amount and no additional charges at the door plus they collect the GST with the order.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
You never have to pay these invoices. They have no effect on your credit.
Last edited by Spinner on May 17th, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12656 posts
9257 upvotes
Edmonton
Horsey2345 wrote: Not sure what you people are talking about, i’ve never paid more than the tax. Soon as you get the fedex or ups or whatever tracking number just call them and tell them you want to self clear. I know for ups at least you can have it added to your account that you will always self clear.
If they deliver before they send the info just call them and tell them its their problem. Like i said i have never paid more than the tax.
Unless you have a time machine for the OP, that doesn't really help them.

C
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
TylerOakville wrote: You risk your credit score with this option. You will also get a debt collector, but you won't get anyone knocking at your door for a relatively small amount. But you have to think if it is worth it going through this struggle over $45 of a BS fee.

My suggestion is to call them. I could be wrong, but I believe from other posts I have read in the past, they have the ability to waive the entry clearance fee because I believe that is their fee for clearing it for you. (I might be wrong because I get all the carriers confused in my head with the thousands of posts about self-clearing on this forum)

Good luck!
These invoices have zero effect on your credit rating because you never entered an agreement with FedEx. Credit rating agencies don't accept these because there's no written agreement between FedEx and the receiver. Otherwise, people would mail junk to your doorstep and threaten your credit history.

From a practical perspective, FedEx doesn't have your birth date or legal name, so they wouldn't be able to pin anything to your history.

Ignore these invoices.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
superfuzzz wrote: Happy to pay the HST and the disbursement, but $45 for a clearance entry fee? Never heard of this before. What are my options to contest this charge, or perhaps refuse the package all together? The package was left on my doorstep, FedEx agent knocked on the door and walked off. I didn't sign anything, and would not have accepted it had I known it would be $115. Any advice?
The reason the fee is so high is because most receivers don't pay it. Maybe 3 out 10 suckers do. FedEx has the choice of releasing packages based on COD, but their driver time costs more.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: Unless you have a time machine for the OP, that doesn't really help them.

C
Why is that? I've called when Fedex/UPS has left a package with outrageous charges on it and they took them off. Sounds like he/she wants to try and not call defeat right on the spot.

When you say you are "returning to sender" or "come pick it back up, I'm refusing it", their attitude changes.

It's not like Fedex isn't making record profits in the Pandemic with parcel volumes going through the roof and paying rookie drivers $16/hour... then turfing them before they get their seniority. Less work during the pandemic as well, when you don't need any signatures at the door.

And if they call and fail, at least they tried. I'd send it back before I paid outrageous charges and find the item to buy from somewhere else.
Last edited by Gibsons on May 17th, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2487 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
TylerOakville wrote: You risk your credit score with this option. You will also get a debt collector, but you won't get anyone knocking at your door for a relatively small amount. But you have to think if it is worth it going through this struggle over $45 of a BS fee.
I think the ignore reply was a joke based on another thread where the OP said he got a notice that there is a fee of around $60. The driver came back for a 2nd delivery attempt and the OP asked the driver if there is a charge for the delivery. The driver said no so the OP accepted the package. A few days later the OP got a notice saying that he owes around $60 and the OP chose to ignore it. It then went to collections.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2602 upvotes
Edmonton
FedEx’s own charges are one thing but with $52.46 owing in HST, I seriously doubt that they will absorb this on OP’s behalf. Multiply this by X number of other customers.

Not sure why people think the culprit is FedEx. Their charges and fees are available for everyone to see.

If you don’t like FedEx charges, use another carrier. You can’t expect to order from the U.S. from a vendor that doesn’t collect tax and expect to get off Scott free.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
starchoice wrote: FedEx’s own charges are one thing but with $52.46 owing in HST, I seriously doubt that they will absorb this on OP’s behalf. Multiply this by X number of other customers.

Not sure why people think the culprit is FedEx. Their charges and fees are available for everyone to see.

If you don’t like FedEx charges, use another carrier. You can’t expect to order from the U.S. from a vendor that doesn’t collect tax and expect to get off Scott free.
Nobody here is denying HST charges (Tax), but carriers do add ridiculous charges to import the item.

Don't know where you get this from...

Believe it or not, you can get a USPS service package and only pay the HST and a handling charge. There's about $52 too much in that assessment, compared to what USPS would charge.

Top