Shopping Discussion

FedEx closing all retail office stores in Canada...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 1:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3458 posts
102 upvotes
GTA

FedEx closing all retail office stores in Canada...

This is bad news for their employees and for our company, FedEx had always been our preferred shipper.
CBC News: wrote: Source.

Shipping giant FedEx has quietly moved to close retail office stores in all Canadian cities putting more than 214 people out of work and ending three decades of doing business in the country.

FedEx will continue to ship within Canada, but its copy and office supply stores will close Aug. 18.

"We reached the decision to exit the Canadian market after thoughtful evaluations of our business operations and considerations about our future," a company statement said.

FedEx has 24 stores in Ontario, Nova Scotia and B.C., with the bulk located in Ontario.

There are 18 FedEx office stores in Ontario. Shipping giant FedEx has quietly moved to close retail office stores in all Canadian cities putting more than 214 people out of work and ending three decades of doing business in the country.

FedEx will continue to ship within Canada, but its copy and office supply stores will close Aug. 18.

"We reached the decision to exit the Canadian market after thoughtful evaluations of our business operations and considerations about our future," a company statement said.

FedEx has 24 stores in Ontario, Nova Scotia and B.C., with the bulk located in Ontario.

The news came as a shock to customers wondering where they will do business.

"I needed to ship a parcel to New York yesterday and I was told by the woman at the counter that all the office stores in Canada were closing," London customer Jeff Blake explained.

"I find it puzzling," he said, noting that FedEx had recently built a new store in the city.ntario, with the rest in B.C. and Nova Scotia (Google Street View)

"I needed to ship a parcel to New York yesterday and I was told by the woman at the counter that all the office stores in Canada were closing," London customer Jeff Blake explained.

"I find it puzzling," he said, noting that FedEx had recently built a new store in the city.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
7521 posts
8278 upvotes
Vancouver
zalapski wrote: This is bad news for their employees and for our company, FedEx had always been our preferred shipper.
Bad news for your company? You bring your packages to the FedEx store to ship? Did you know that FedEx does pick ups of shipments? You can also drop at Staples and many other locations.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4864 upvotes
Toronto
Not profitable business get eliminated. That's the trend.
Ask among us, how many of us use FedEx or even visit FedEx store other than shipping and & receiving parcels?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 13, 2017
784 posts
373 upvotes
FedEx closing all retail office stores in Canada
214 employees have been given notice, customers told doors will close Aug. 18
CBC News Posted: Jul 21, 2017 11:49 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 21, 2017 12:06 PM ET

FEDEX Closing stores in Canada link

Shipping giant FedEx has quietly moved to close retail office stores in all Canadian cities putting more than 214 people out of work and ending three decades of doing business in the country.

"I find it puzzling," he said, noting that FedEx had recently built a new store in the city.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4601 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
Store fronts are becoming extinct.
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17989 posts
1556 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
FYI, this is basically Kinko's. They were acquired and renamed to FedEx Office.
Feb 21, 2010
886 posts
262 upvotes
Scarborough
I was in UPS store last week in New York City, had to take few photocopies. It was busy, they sell stationery, provide document solutions - fax, copy, scan, prints, etc. They sell boxes for moving etc. Two guys were running the operation, seemed a busy operation. Amazon pickup and returns were happening as well
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
So, would we still be able to use FedEx services, just not at storefronts?

This is too bad. UPS franchise stores around the GTA have shitty customer service, so FedEx used to be my go-to here, even though I'm happy using either FedEx or UPS state-side.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9230 posts
2901 upvotes
London
The market has certainly changed over the last three decades.
FWIW these used to be Kinkos.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4070 posts
3346 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wonder if UPS will follow suit. If it's unprofitable for Fedex, it should be unprofitable for UPS too.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23464 posts
22417 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
To be honest other than the UPS Store (aka Oops Store) I did not know that other Courier Companies had Store fronts in Canada .. Until I read about them here on RFD (Purolator now FedEx)

Like others, cannot say I see a need.

You want something shipped, ya call for pickup.

Ya need photocopies etc you go to Staples.

I think these Courier Retail Stores are going belly up cause no one needs them
Or is like me, and never heard of them to begin with (p!ss poor advertising)
Sep 5, 2011
225 posts
772 upvotes
Toronto
canoek wrote: Wonder if UPS will follow suit. If it's unprofitable for Fedex, it should be unprofitable for UPS too.
Not necessarily. One, the UPS Stores are mostly if not all franchised, so the individual stores are not a drag on UPS' bottom line (whereas FedEx Office stores are all corporate-owned). The store owner takes the risk while UPS gets more sales and probably a licensing fee to boot.

Two, most of the UPS stores I've come across tend to be smaller single-person operations without a lot in the way of equipment, versus the larger footprints and staffs of the FedEx stores, so they are likely cheaper to run individually.

Three, there are many more UPS stores, and while I wouldn't be shocked if the number drops in the years to come, for now they have a scale advantage over others like FedEx.
Feb 9, 2011
7 posts
Surrey
Is sad for the 214 peoples to be layoff, but if no more business but is good they still ship & receive "good business"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6972 posts
1740 upvotes
The original concept ( Kinko's) was fine when a lot of this stuff was out of reach of joe public, but so much of this can be done at home using a AIO printer/scanner etc ..demand slowly erodes and margins are non existent. Wait till $15 min wage comes in ... that'll push lots of retail over the edge
Aug 8, 2003
989 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario
As others have mentioned this is FedexOffice (Kinkos)
FEDEX Express and Ground delivery services are not affected.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1663 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Too bad, sad for their employees.
Never used FedEx though, most of the time I use Canada post
Jun 27, 2017
85 posts
6 upvotes
To be honest who uses FedEx anyway? They are overpriced and not much better than Canada Post.
Well, they could be faster than Canada Post sometimes in terms of delivering, but how they handle packages is not their strongest point.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15130 upvotes
Liselsia wrote: To be honest who uses FedEx anyway? They are overpriced and not much better than Canada Post.
Well, they could be faster than Canada Post sometimes in terms of delivering, but how they handle packages is not their strongest point.
LOL I think this^ misunderstanding is one (of several) reasons they're closing down. People see "FedEx" and think it's a shipping place. While they do shipping as well they are primarily a copy/print shop--remember these were rebrands of Kinkp's locations when FedEx bought out Kinko's. One error of FedEx was they should have kept the Kinko's name and called it something like "Kinko's by FedEx" or something like that. Once they renamed it to "FedEx Office" I think too many people thought it was just a place for shipping stuff.

Anyway.... Another one bites the dust in Canadian retail. Can't say I'm surprised. Just a dying breed in general.
Jun 27, 2017
85 posts
6 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL I think this^ misunderstanding is one (of several) reasons they're closing down. People see "FedEx" and think it's a shipping place. While they do shipping as well they are primarily a copy/print shop--remember these were rebrands of Kinkp's locations when FedEx bought out Kinko's. One error of FedEx was they should have kept the Kinko's name and called it something like "Kinko's by FedEx" or something like that. Once they renamed it to "FedEx Office" I think too many people thought it was just a place for shipping stuff.

Anyway.... Another one bites the dust in Canadian retail. Can't say I'm surprised. Just a dying breed in general.
I am actually very aware of it being a copy/print shop but who uses it when you have Staples? Staples has more shops which is a lot more convenient than FedEx. And beside Print/copy, Staples also sells other stuff as well where as FedEx only offers copy/print. If I were the customer, I would definitely choose Staples over FedEx. Then as for shipping, it's nowhere better than Canada Post. Just , I am surprised that FedEx lasted this long.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)