Shopping Discussion

FedEx does not provide drop off package receipt ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2023 9:52 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto

FedEx does not provide drop off package receipt ?

Trying to return something to Lenovo for repair. Their instructions ask me to obtain the FedEx receipt. However, the depot said they don't provide receipt, and ask me to check online. Just want to confirm if it is true.

Thanks
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
rdx wrote: Trying to return something to Lenovo for repair. Their instructions ask me to obtain the FedEx receipt. However, the depot said they don't provide receipt, and ask me to check online. Just want to confirm if it is true.

Thanks
What kind of FedEx depot is this? Sometimes these are nothing more than corner stores that provide this service for FedEx and yeah they probably don't even have the means to give you a receipt.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: What kind of FedEx depot is this? Sometimes these are nothing more than corner stores that provide this service for FedEx and yeah they probably don't even have the means to give you a receipt.
FedEx Authorized ShipCentre
+1 800-463-3339

https://g.co/kgs/Q9NQA4
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
rdx wrote: FedEx Authorized ShipCentre
+1 800-463-3339

https://g.co/kgs/Q9NQA4
I mean which SPECIFIC depot did you call that said no receipt would be given? That link goes to a search site that returns every location that exists, including Phong Uyen Video Store and Laundromat on Kingsway who would take my drop-off package but also wouldn't give me a receipt. Try a place like Staples, they are more likely to have the means to print out a drop-off receipt for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
depends were u take it like staples are drop off places for fedex but they don't have a scanner to scan the package it.

u have to take it direct to the main fedex drop off place in your town they will def be able to provide u with one.

as long as the package gets scanned into the system your fine
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I mean which SPECIFIC depot did you call that said no receipt would be given? That link goes to a search site that returns every location that exists, including Phong Uyen Video Store and Laundromat on Kingsway who would take my drop-off package but also wouldn't give me a receipt. Try a place like Staples, they are more likely to have the means to print out a drop-off receipt for you.
If you click on the link on my reply, that is the exact Authorized FedEx Depot I went in Richmond Hill. That guy was rude. I went in and said good morning, no response. Then I asked if I can't get a receipt for the drop off , he said no receipt for a long time, just go online to check. He then went back to watch video on his phone. It is not like he was busy at all. No other customer at that time inside and he was not doing anything other than watching video on the phone....... Anyway, going to try another authorized depot.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
4686 posts
24764 upvotes
Canada
I have taken my packages to the main Fedex depot and they have also refused to provide a drop off receipt. I was just told to put my package in a pile and then told to leave. I think they only scan the packages once a day even at the depot.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
rdx wrote: If you click on the link on my reply, that is the exact Authorized FedEx Depot I went in Richmond Hill. That guy was rude. I went in and said good morning, no response. Then I asked if I can't get a receipt for the drop off , he said no receipt for a long time, just go online to check. He then went back to watch video on his phone. It is not like he was busy at all. No other customer at that time inside and he was not doing anything other than watching video on the phone....... Anyway, going to try another authorized depot.
Oooh I also thought that was just a random Google suggestion that matched the search term of "FedEx Authorized ShipCentre"

You went to a 3rd party place (Envoy Business Services in this case), where usually they accept packages (and maybe offer holding of packages for you to pick up) but usually tracking info at them is very limited.

Best to visit an actual FedEx branded place, or try a Staples / PenguinPickup location.
Alternatively, call to schedule a pickup and pay the nominal fee of ~$4. There probably will be no receipt, but it'll definitely be scanned in.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
rdx wrote: If you click on the link on my reply, that is the exact Authorized FedEx Depot I went in Richmond Hill.
Ahh, missed that. When I first clicked the link it took me to Google search results. I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway, yeah that's exactly the kind of hole-in-the-wall place that isn't going to give you a receipt.
That guy was rude. I went in and said good morning, no response. Then I asked if I can't get a receipt for the drop off , he said no receipt for a long time, just go online to check. He then went back to watch video on his phone. It is not like he was busy at all. No other customer at that time inside and he was not doing anything other than watching video on the phone.......
Yup I'm not surprised. Remember you are not his customer and he gets no money from you, so it's not surprising most people at these kinds of places don't want to give you the time of day.
Anyway, going to try another authorized depot.
I was going to suggest Staples but @aaron158 says they won't give you one either, so idk really.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote: Ahh, missed that. When I first clicked the link it took me to Google search results. I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway, yeah that's exactly the kind of hole-in-the-wall place that isn't going to give you a receipt.

Yup I'm not surprised. Remember you are not his customer and he gets no money from you, so it's not surprising most people at these kinds of places don't want to give you the time of day.

I was going to suggest Staples but @aaron158 says they won't give you one either, so idk really.
idk if every staples is the same. but i know the staples here in London fedex and purolator don't even give them a scanner to scan the package in. so until the driver comes to pick up the package there is no scan so if anything were to happen to it before the driver comes and gets it and scans it in your screw u have no proof u dropped it off and they won't honour the insurance if the package gets lost or stolen if its not scanned into the system.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Akitakara wrote: Oooh I also thought that was just a random Google suggestion that matched the search term of "FedEx Authorized ShipCentre"

You went to a 3rd party place (Envoy Business Services in this case), where usually they accept packages (and maybe offer holding of packages for you to pick up) but usually tracking info at them is very limited.

Best to visit an actual FedEx branded place, or try a Staples / PenguinPickup location.
Alternatively, call to schedule a pickup and pay the nominal fee of ~$4. There probably will be no receipt, but it'll definitely be scanned in.
Someone above has confirmed that even FedEx office themselves do not provide receipt.....

By the way, that guy only said check online. I wonder what do I check online if he does not provide me anything ??? I assume they will give me tracking # even they don't provide a receipt
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
rdx wrote: Someone above has confirmed that even FedEx office themselves do not provide receipt.....

By the way, that guy only said check online. I wonder what do I check online if he does not provide me anything ??? I assume they will give me tracking # even they don't provide a receipt
When you arranged with Lenovo to send the item in to repair, did they generate a Fedex shipping label for you? The tracking number should be on that. Don't count on an Authorized ShipCentre to provide you with anything else. In my experience, they don't even have the scanner to provide the tracking system with the info that you even dropped it off. All they do is hold it until the FedEx truck comes and picks it up. That's when it gets scanned in and marked as dropped off and in its way, by the FedEx driver; not by the guy at the ShipCentre.

It's a broken system, since after you drop it off, if it goes missing before the FedEx truck comes for it, you are SOL. Nobody has any proof that you actually dropped it off, not even you.

Maybe take a video of you dropping it off that clearly shows the shipping label with tracking number and the person receiving it at the ShipCentre. Crazy that this is necessary, but when the system is this broken you're gonna have to do something to protect yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
This isn't really any different than how courier pickups have been for decades. Even back in the old days when you filled out a pad of waybills by hand and kept one of the carbon copies, it didn't really provide proof it was shipped. People have been putting packages into courier drop boxes for years with no receipt, sometimes they don't even put them in the right company's box. But even then, the package usually makes it where it's going with maybe a couple days delay. Nobody actually gets a receipt that their package is now in the hands of the courier company. There are companies that send out thousands of packages a day by the tractor trailer load and their is no proof of pickup with any of those until it hits a sort hub and gets automatically scanned as it comes off the trailer.

If you printed out a shipping label that was emailed to you for the return, just keep either a paper or digital copy of that for your tracking. It is just so incredibly rare that a package disappears into thin air forever, considering the millions a day that get handled by the various companies that it doesn't make sense at all to provide some type of receipt over and above the tracking number you already have
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11766 upvotes
GTA
djeffery wrote: This isn't really any different than how courier pickups have been for decades. Even back in the old days when you filled out a pad of waybills by hand and kept one of the carbon copies, it didn't really provide proof it was shipped. People have been putting packages into courier drop boxes for years with no receipt, sometimes they don't even put them in the right company's box. But even then, the package usually makes it where it's going with maybe a couple days delay. Nobody actually gets a receipt that their package is now in the hands of the courier company. There are companies that send out thousands of packages a day by the tractor trailer load and their is no proof of pickup with any of those until it hits a sort hub and gets automatically scanned as it comes off the trailer.

If you printed out a shipping label that was emailed to you for the return, just keep either a paper or digital copy of that for your tracking. It is just so incredibly rare that a package disappears into thin air forever, considering the millions a day that get handled by the various companies that it doesn't make sense at all to provide some type of receipt over and above the tracking number you already have
True but it happened to me. I dropped off a package at a UPS store years ago to be returned to HP. I didn't get a receipt but luckily the guy scanned the package at the counter while I was there so there was a record of it being dropping it off. A week or so later I got an email from HP saying they if I didn't send the item back soon that I would be charged for it. I called and told them I sent it back already and they opened an investigation with UPS. Turns out UPS lost it and the only proof that I had was the original scan made in the UPS store, there were no more updates just that one scan. I would have been SOL if the guy hadn't scanned it. I will never leave a package without a receipt or a scan if possible. It doesn't seem possible with Fedex but it is with UPS.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17376 upvotes
Markham
Dropped a Purolator package once at Staples and the person said they don't give a receipt so I snapped a picture of them walking away.

This provides me with a date and time stamped GPS location of the drop.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
gr8dlr wrote: Dropped a Purolator package once at Staples and the person said they don't give a receipt so I snapped a picture of them walking away.

This provides me with a date and time stamped GPS location of the drop.
that wouldn't matter in case of an insurance claim if the package gets lost before the driver comes to scan it. they will still tell u to bad if there is no scan.

really ur better off just calling the 800 number for witchever shipping company and getting them to come pick it up they will do it for free and the driver has the scanner in his hand with him so he scan it as soon as u hand it to him. only downside is u gotta wait around all day.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17376 upvotes
Markham
aaron158 wrote: that wouldn't matter in case of an insurance claim if the package gets lost before the driver comes to scan it. they will still tell u to bad if there is no scan.

really ur better off just calling the 800 number for witchever shipping company and getting them to come pick it up they will do it for free and the driver has the scanner in his hand with him so he scan it as soon as u hand it to him. only downside is u gotta wait around all day.
When the driver scans it, you still don't get a receipt though.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
gr8dlr wrote: When the driver scans it, you still don't get a receipt though.
don't need one as long as its scanned into the system that's all that matters.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
aaron158 wrote: that wouldn't matter in case of an insurance claim if the package gets lost before the driver comes to scan it. they will still tell u to bad if there is no scan.

They don't pick up everything. Almost all Amazon returns need to be dropped off somewhere due to the price Amazon pays for return shipping. If you take it the courier's own shipping counter (I know, not always in the most convenient location), they scan it there and you can see it when you track it online.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
djeffery wrote: They don't pick up everything. Almost all Amazon returns need to be dropped off somewhere due to the price Amazon pays for return shipping. If you take it the courier's own shipping counter (I know, not always in the most convenient location), they scan it there and you can see it when you track it online.
no it don't. u just have to call the 800 number for the shipping company. tell them u have a return label and need a free pick up. they will pick it up no problem. don't matter where the label comes from.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)