FedEx now collecting duties and taxes at delivery

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 8:38 am
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
38 posts
34 upvotes

FedEx now collecting duties and taxes at delivery

Looks like the days of receiving a random FedEx bills 3 months later are over.

Received an automated phone call from FedEx saying duties/taxes were owed on my shipment. Either prepay online/by phone or pay the driver at the time of delivery.

When the driver delivered my package, he collected the duties/taxes owed before releasing my package to me.
19 replies
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
InvalidDeal wrote: When the driver delivered my package, he collected the duties/taxes owed before releasing my package to me.
Isn't that how it has always been? Or at least it was for me whenever the occasion would happen with a US delivery
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: Isn't that how it has always been? Or at least it was for me whenever the occasion would happen with a US delivery
No, it wasn't for me. I just received a bill last week from Fedex a month after the delivery for $50 on a warranty replacement order. If I knew that there is a fee for that, I wouldn't have accept the delivery. Now I don't know what to do. The replacement product was on $20 something US, but the invoice said $80, so I got a big bill. The point is I didn't even purchase from the states, its only a warranty claim. Can I even ask them to come pick up the package and return to the sender to avoid the fee? I am not going to pay.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
Dealfinder111 wrote: No, it wasn't for me. I just received a bill last week from Fedex a month after the delivery for $50 on a warranty replacement order. If I knew that there is a fee for that, I wouldn't have accept the delivery. Now I don't know what to do. The replacement product was on $20 something US, but the invoice said $80, so I got a big bill. The point is I didn't even purchase from the states, its only a warranty claim. Can I even ask them to come pick up the package and return to the sender to avoid the fee? I am not going to pay.
That doesn't sound right, where was the purchase made from?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2372 posts
1188 upvotes
London
Dealfinder111 wrote: No, it wasn't for me. I just received a bill last week from Fedex a month after the delivery for $50 on a warranty replacement order. If I knew that there is a fee for that, I wouldn't have accept the delivery. Now I don't know what to do. The replacement product was on $20 something US, but the invoice said $80, so I got a big bill. The point is I didn't even purchase from the states, its only a warranty claim. Can I even ask them to come pick up the package and return to the sender to avoid the fee? I am not going to pay.
u can if the package is unopened.
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: That doesn't sound right, where was the purchase made from?
Purchase was from Canada, 1 year warranty. It is an US company. For some reason the company put $80 on the invoice, but I didn't have to pay since it is warranty claim.
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: u can if the package is unopened.
I can just tape it back, its a small plastic envelope. Do I have to contact Fedex and tell them about my issue and ask them to come pick it up and ship back? I haven't have any experience before. Anyone please advice. From now on, I will ask the delivery people and the fee before accepting the parcel to avoid the hassle.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2372 posts
1188 upvotes
London
Dealfinder111 wrote: I can just tape it back, its a small plastic envelope. Do I have to contact Fedex and tell them about my issue and ask them to come pick it up and ship back? I haven't have any experience before. Anyone please advice. From now on, I will ask the delivery people and the fee before accepting the parcel to avoid the hassle.
no u cant just tape it back up. once u open it u cant refuse it.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
If the purchase was made in Canada from a Canadian based company regardless where their head office is at you shouldn't be liable as to how this company does its conduct unless it's stated somewhere
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: If the purchase was made in Canada from a Canadian based company regardless where their head office is at you shouldn't be liable as to how this company does its conduct unless it's stated somewhere
I have no idea what's going on. But the product was shipped from the states. Now should I contact Fedex and explain to them or just ignore the bill? I am afraid that they will sent it to collection and ruin my credit which I don't want to. But for sure I am not going to pay $50 for a warranty replacement which cost only $25 cad to buy.
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: no u cant just tape it back up. once u open it u cant refuse it.
Then its totally unfair, I didn't know I will owe them money when accepting the parcel.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
Dealfinder111 wrote: I have no idea what's going on. But the product was shipped from the states. Now should I contact Fedex and explain to them or just ignore the bill? I am afraid that they will sent it to collection and ruin my credit which I don't want to. But for sure I am not going to pay $50 for a warranty replacement which cost only $25 cad to buy.
No... I would be talking with the company you bought it from and say WTF is this extra service charged, nowhere did you say I will be charged extra or mention it's coming from the states. I didn't agree to buy it like that. I agree to buy it from you not somewhere else, again unless it is stated it is coming from the states and you will be charged extra duty fees
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2372 posts
1188 upvotes
London
Dealfinder111 wrote: Then its totally unfair, I didn't know I will owe them money when accepting the parcel.
ur only option is to contact the company who sent it and complain to them. its there fault for not properly declaring the item as a warranty replacement and also over valuing the item on the customs paper.

if they care about good c/s they will contact fedex and have them apply the invoice onto there fedex account. other then that ur only other option is to just pay the bill and make sure not to buy from that company again.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1614 posts
355 upvotes
Vancouver
InvalidDeal wrote: Looks like the days of receiving a random FedEx bills 3 months later are over.

Received an automated phone call from FedEx saying duties/taxes were owed on my shipment. Either prepay online/by phone or pay the driver at the time of delivery.

When the driver delivered my package, he collected the duties/taxes owed before releasing my package to me.
Nothing new at all. FedEx has done this for ages just as the other carriers do it.
Oct 11, 2009
398 posts
741 upvotes
BC
sandy_beach wrote: Nothing new at all. FedEx has done this for ages just as the other carriers do it.
yes, exactly
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: ur only option is to contact the company who sent it and complain to them. its there fault for not properly declaring the item as a warranty replacement and also over valuing the item on the customs paper.

if they care about good c/s they will contact fedex and have them apply the invoice onto there fedex account. other then that ur only other option is to just pay the bill and make sure not to buy from that company again.
I received a second letter from Fedex for this fee. I actually contacted the company who sent the item to me a month ago when I got the first letter, she admitted it was their mistake for the declare value and they will deal with it and ask me don't have to pay. Looks like they didn't fix the mess yet. What should I do now? Should I contact Fedex and ask them to follow this charge with the sender? I just don't want to be sent to collection and ruin my credit.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2372 posts
1188 upvotes
London
Dealfinder111 wrote: I received a second letter from Fedex for this fee. I actually contacted the company who sent the item to me a month ago when I got the first letter, she admitted it was their mistake for the declare value and they will deal with it and ask me don't have to pay. Looks like they didn't fix the mess yet. What should I do now? Should I contact Fedex and ask them to follow this charge with the sender? I just don't want to be sent to collection and ruin my credit.
contact the company again. fedex wont do anything for u.
Jul 24, 2012
698 posts
103 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: contact the company again. fedex wont do anything for u.
What I am thinking is if the company is willing to help, they should have already fixed the issue in the first call.

Update: Call the company again this morning, this rep is very helpful. She apologized for the inconvenience and frustration and paid my fedex invoice right the way with a confirmation email for the payment. So everything is good now and I am very happy with that company.