Fee to cancel Airbnb request?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2022 9:14 pm
[OP]
May 19, 2013
253 posts
134 upvotes

Fee to cancel Airbnb request?

This is my first time using Airbnb. I requested to reserve a house in France for a month during the RWC. The host sent me a message stating that the house is not available on the dates I requested and asked me to cancel the reservation to avoid paying a fee. Would I have to pay a fee? I chose this place because it had free cancellation until August so I don't think I should have to pay anything. I guess I would like to know what will happen if I let the request expire instead of cancelling.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2625 posts
3759 upvotes
What did AirBNB say when you reached out to them?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1722 posts
1039 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rtmrrtmr wrote: This is my first time using Airbnb. I requested to reserve a house in France for a month during the RWC. The host sent me a message stating that the house is not available on the dates I requested and asked me to cancel the reservation to avoid paying a fee. Would I have to pay a fee? I chose this place because it had free cancellation until August so I don't think I should have to pay anything. I guess I would like to know what will happen if I let the request expire instead of cancelling.
The host probably does not want to be seen as having cancelled the reservation. There may even be a fee for them to do so.

You can cancel for free until August so you can wait if you want to or you can contact AirBnb support although I have not usually found them to be too helpful.

Personally I would just cancel and go and find somewhere else.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10549 posts
3867 upvotes
I would ask them why you would hit cancel when it is them cancelling on you.

They’re gaming the system they don’t want review that say “the host cancelled this stay” which I believe appears when this happens.

My guess is they got a private offer and want to dodge airbnb fees.

While I try and be flexible. You are doing a disservice to other airbnb guests. If these guys pull this funny business it should be documented.

Probably rented the place out for a weekend for a majority of what you paid for a month.

Say ne pas!
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2569 posts
3911 upvotes
West
Do not EVER give in to a request from the host to cancel. They can do it on their end, but try to pull this BS since they get penalized for doing so (i.e. losing Super Host status). Simply put, if they aren't free to rent for those dates, they shouldn't have released availability. There is zero excuse to wreck someone's vacation. Can't have it both ways.

You should contact AirBNB and ask them to review the message log, and that the host is cancelling on you. They will usually block the host from renting those dates in the future, in case they want to jack up rates, rent to someone else, etc. Further, if there are major price differences between the unit you reserved and the remaining units out there, they can sometimes issue you a credit to make up for the difference.
[OP]
May 19, 2013
253 posts
134 upvotes
Thank you, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to go about it.

Update: He ended up approving the stay since I didn't cancel. He messaged me saying he "had the dates wrong" and that there is a cleaning fee that wasn't advertised.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10549 posts
3867 upvotes
rtmrrtmr wrote: Thank you, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to go about it.

Update: He ended up approving the stay since I didn't cancel. He messaged me saying he "had the dates wrong" and that there is a cleaning fee that wasn't advertised.
Well done. I imagine he pulled this garbage before and it worked. .
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
Hypothesizing...

The host got another request to book probably from another site that perhaps he listed for higher price. As someone else said, they wanted OP to cancel so they can take the higher booking.

IMO Host cancellations and lies/fabrications should have penalties and repercussions.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2625 posts
3759 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: IMO Host cancellations and lies/fabrications should have penalties and repercussions.
Sure, but who's going to prove a lie or fabrication?

I have been compensated by AirBNB in the past when the host cancelled a booking.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
13inches wrote: Sure, but who's going to prove a lie or fabrication?

I have been compensated by AirBNB in the past when the host cancelled a booking.
It's not that hard to prove a fabrication...you have pics and notes of the listing. Compare that to the pics of the actual rental. Eg. They say it's got Air Conditioning and it doesn't. Send it to AirBnb.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10549 posts
3867 upvotes
13inches wrote: Sure, but who's going to prove a lie or fabrication?

Well nobody can force a host to rent to you. What is the disgraceful part here is the host told the OP to cancel on his side, then doubled down the lied by syaing the OP would dodge a fee.

Both lies. Both dishonest. Seems the host gave in and said fine which would piss me off because it’s a monthly rental and you are already on bad start with the host. Especially if theyre actually french. The host is probably insulted. Imagine if other issues come up.

The OP should report the host for the shadiness but that will further damage the relationship.

A jerk host period.
Autocorrect sucks