Automotive

Feedback on the purchase of a "Manager's Demo"

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2016 9:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
1096 posts
90 upvotes
Calgary

Feedback on the purchase of a "Manager's Demo"

I would like to get your feedback on a potential purchase. A local dealer has a 2015 truck I'm interested in that has been used as a managers demo (salesperson's terminology) with about 6500kms on it. I have never dealt with this dealership before but they do have an A+ standing on BBB.

The price I can work on and considering it;s a demo the deal would have to be very good.

My question is, would you buy a demo with this much on the odometer. Are demo's typically driven hard and abused?
52 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32027 posts
17915 upvotes
Ottawa
Manager's demo = vehicle used for test drives.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3216 posts
703 upvotes
Well sometimes they register car in the name of dealership and let one of their sales drive it. I wouldn't want to buy demo car but in this case it is different, I might consider it. Also try too squeeze some extra warranty :)
Newbie
Mar 30, 2009
79 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Well they're human so I'd assume it's driven hard and abused. Also you may lose out on valuable warranty time depending on then the car was registered.

Pro: you save on destination/delivery fees saving you $2000 off the bat and you should get new car financing rates.
Con: it's a used car and you may lose out on warranty time.

Make sure you get an amazing discount...don't let them fool you into thinking it's still at "brand new" pricing.
Member
May 14, 2012
375 posts
69 upvotes
PICKERING
I would want a pretty good price. While I'm not 100% sure on this, I believe that Manager Demo's will show as having been "commercially registered" or something to that effect on the Carproof. The reason this may matter in the future is that dealer's generally self insure for collision, so if the car had been repaired it wouldn't show on a CarProof and may be used in the future as a tactic by a dealer upon trade in to lower the price they offer. Very similar to how a former daily rental would work. I did by a former daily rental and to be honest I thought it wound up all right in that I owned it for 5 years and the reduction in cost at purchase (around $5k) was more than the hit I took when I traded it in (around $2k).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
3125 posts
1727 upvotes
Vancouver
Nearly all dealer demo vehicles are the same.

During the daytime, it's used as a customer demo for the sales team. After work, an assigned salesperson takes it home for personal use. On some occasions, it is used a loaner vehicle for the service dept.

Whatever they call them, demo cars all live similar lives.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
18262 posts
2712 upvotes
Langley
How likely that the extra repairs or lost resale value will be more than the upfront discount? Go for it, if the discount is worthwhile.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
1096 posts
90 upvotes
Calgary
booblehead wrote: before you go and try to submit an offer, have you checked out any factory credit allowance on the new ones ?

For example, MY2015 Ford F150 is offering up to $11,000 from the factory side credit + whatever you can get off from the dealer side.

http://bpfoc.ford.ca/2015-Ford-F-150?br ... 46.LAR.%5D
This month there are no rebates on the 2015's in this particular model (or 2016's either, besides some cheesy financing offer). There is zero difference between the 2015 or 2016 model. I checked the Nissan website for this info and ran a Car Cost Canada report.

Last month Nissan was offering a $4200 rebate on new 2015's of this model if you pay cash - which I would.

I sent an email to the dealer asking if the vehicle was still available (on their website they have it listed - but not as a demo). That's when they emailed back saying it was still available and it was the manager's demo with 6500kms on in. They said they would reduce the price $5800 off MSRP. I'm assuming I would not have to pay freight or air conditioning fee (nor would I if they requested that) since it's a used vehicle - but did not follow up yet with the dealer to obtain this info.

Even at $5800 off they would have to come down more than that. The vehicle is a Nissan Frontier and has not really changed since 2005 - meanwhile there is a new Tacoma and Chevy/GM as midsized truck competition.

It's an automatic transmission so unless the guy was redlining it in neutral I don't think it was abused - at least in that way.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There's no such thing as a "managers" car. It's just a fancy name for dealerships demo car which everyone test drove. You'll save on PDI probably, but not much more. Now a days it seems demos are overprcied and dealerships try to screw people over on the prices of them. If you're fine with the fact that people test drove the car than go ahead. I know when I test drive cars I definitely drive it hard, brake extremely hard, and test out the suspension :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2007
1216 posts
472 upvotes
Only if you get an amazing price. Remember that the warranty starts the day the car is register, not when you buy it. You have so look at the discount and see if less warranty and the fact that since drove the car like it wasn't their own.

Sales people normally get cars as part of their job, and the dealer sells them at that mileage.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8412 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
Chuck Garabedian wrote: I would like to get your feedback on a potential purchase. A local dealer has a 2015 truck I'm interested in that has been used as a managers demo (salesperson's terminology) with about 6500kms on it. I have never dealt with this dealership before but they do have an A+ standing on BBB.

The price I can work on and considering it;s a demo the deal would have to be very good.

My question is, would you buy a demo with this much on the odometer. Are demo's typically driven hard and abused?
Demo`s at the dealerships where I have worked demo`s were not abused. At two of the dealerships I had a demo and at one dealership they were checked weekly. The only time my demo was given out was if one of the owners customers had there car in for service and it had to stay overnight and those instances were rare.
warnabrotha wrote: Well they're human so I'd assume it's driven hard and abused. Also you may lose out on valuable warranty time depending on then the car was registered.

Pro: you save on destination/delivery fees saving you $2000 off the bat and you should get new car financing rates.
Con: it's a used car and you may lose out on warranty time.

Make sure you get an amazing discount...don't let them fool you into thinking it's still at "brand new" pricing.
You don`t save freight it is charged on new vehicles and demo`s, The vehicle had to get there somehow.
Spinner wrote: Nearly all dealer demo vehicles are the same.

During the daytime, it's used as a customer demo for the sales team. After work, an assigned salesperson takes it home for personal use. On some occasions, it is used a loaner vehicle for the service dept.

Whatever they call them, demo cars all live similar lives.
Not true. Not all demo`s are used for test drives, most aren't. The salesman`s demo`s are used for test drives.
foodyforlife wrote: There's no such thing as a "managers" car. It's just a fancy name for dealerships demo car which everyone test drove. You'll save on PDI probably, but not much more. Now a days it seems demos are overprcied and dealerships try to screw people over on the prices of them. If you're fine with the fact that people test drove the car than go ahead. I know when I test drive cars I definitely drive it hard, brake extremely hard, and test out the suspension :) [/QUOTE

There is such a thing as a Managers car`s, Owners car, owners wife`s car etc etc.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21436 posts
2265 upvotes
Chuck Garabedian wrote: I would like to get your feedback on a potential purchase. A local dealer has a 2015 truck I'm interested in that has been used as a managers demo (salesperson's terminology) with about 6500kms on it. I have never dealt with this dealership before but they do have an A+ standing on BBB.

The price I can work on and considering it;s a demo the deal would have to be very good.

My question is, would you buy a demo with this much on the odometer. Are demo's typically driven hard and abused?
Its just a used car that happens to be owned by the dealer. Do not pay freight/PDI, back out any factory rebates and then discount what you feel is appropriate for a used car.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8412 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
Kasakato wrote: Its just a used car that happens to be owned by the dealer. Do not pay freight/PDI, back out any factory rebates and then discount what you feel is appropriate for a used car.
Good luck with that. Using your logic he wont be buying any demo`s.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)