• Jun 10th, 2020 6:14 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2006
335 posts
25 upvotes
Markham

Feedback on Ubiquiti Edge X router

Hello all

Anyone have any feedback on the Ubiquiti Edge X router paired with a Ubiquiti long range AP.

I’ve read good reviews and want to replace my Bell home hub 3000. I recently ordered and returned both a Asus and Dlink as both devices keep dropping my 2.4 band.

Any feedback welcome...

Cheers
Rob
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4238 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
I have that exact setup for the last few years and it has worked great for me. If you want to save a bit, you can also settle for the AC-Lite or even a TP-LINK EAP245. The ER-X can also power one of the Ubiquiti access points through its PoE out.

While this setup works great in terms of stability, you also have to realize it's may not be as easy to setup as a Asus or Dlink. You'll need a bit more networking know-how. It also doesn't help that the ER-X is the Edgerouter line of products and the access points are Ubiqiuti. That means they don't share the same interfaces. To setup the ER-X, you have to use EdgeOS. To setup the Ubiquiti access points, you have to use an app or the Unifi controller software.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2006
335 posts
25 upvotes
Markham
Thanks for the feedback!

I've ordered from Amazon so we'll see how things go....

Cheers
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4116 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Been using one now for sometime and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I agree with @Dave98 they should have a UI that is similar across all products to make it rather seamless to manage.

Their wizard is rather easy to use, just make sure you update the firmware of the router so that you have access to more features. My version of the edgerouter x at the time didn't have certain options in the wizard which became available in later revisions.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2545 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
Zero1 wrote: Been using one now for sometime and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I agree with @Dave98 they should have a UI that is similar across all products to make it rather seamless to manage.

Their wizard is rather easy to use, just make sure you update the firmware of the router so that you have access to more features. My version of the edgerouter x at the time didn't have certain options in the wizard which became available in later revisions.
I hope not. It'll just end up being a Jack of all trades master of none like most Residential routers. Their catalog is just too big with varied Commercial networking gear. EdgeMAX productline is not marketed as the cheap solution for the UniFi.

AmpliFi UI for standard home users with entry level setup. An all-in-one solution. $$$
UniFi UI for mid-grade, can do advanced but geared more towards centralized LAN management. A la carte setup where you can throw in management of Cameras, VOIP and WAP. $$
EdgeMAX if you will be doing alot of advanced WAN networking. Managing WISP, operator equipment paired with airMax, AirFiber, UFiber etc. Basically site to site connections . $
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24482 posts
3038 upvotes
Montreal
I have the Edge router x for a year now. The inlcuded software is a PITA to work with. I ended up wiping it and installing open source software (Open WRT). Runs fine now. I use various wifi APs from tP link or whatever. Ubiquitis APs are hella expensieve.
Sep 13, 2011
790 posts
453 upvotes
Québec
mr_raider wrote: I have the Edge router x for a year now. The inlcuded software is a PITA to work with. I ended up wiping it and installing open source software (Open WRT). Runs fine now. I use various wifi APs from tP link or whatever. Ubiquitis APs are hella expensieve.
You can get this excellent AP for 75$:
https://www.deploydepot.ca/ubiquiti-nan ... n-loco5ac/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9531 posts
2132 upvotes
Winnipeg
elgros4 wrote: You can get this excellent AP for 75$:
https://www.deploydepot.ca/ubiquiti-nan ... n-loco5ac/
Its single band, 100 port and PTP directional so not remotely applicable and your basically gonna need 2 to work and they aren't even throwing in the poe injector either...

I think they were referring to omni directional dual band with atleast latest wave 2 protocols.
Sep 13, 2011
790 posts
453 upvotes
Québec
lead wrote: Its single band, 100 port and PTP directional so not remotely applicable and your basically gonna need 2 to work and they aren't even throwing in the poe injector either...

I think they were referring to omni directional dual band with atleast latest wave 2 protocols.
It's single band but in the whole 5GHz, if you read the specs 802.11AC does not exist in the 2.4 GHz. So it work in 802.11n mode. Only 802.11ax support 2.5 GHz.

This product is perfect to be place in a attic for example.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9531 posts
2132 upvotes
Winnipeg
elgros4 wrote: It's single band but in the whole 5GHz, if you read the specs 802.11AC does not exist in the 2.4 GHz. So it work in 802.11n mode.

This product is perfect to be place in a attic for example.
you have no clue what that is for do you?

look at the specs
Range: 10+ KM

its for directional point to point.Its a cpe. Not for your attic to cover your home it wont work that way.

You use them for long distances the band and antenna uses a beam so narrow its to shoot a concentrated signal in one direction and then you use a second pointed in that same direction to catch it. They use them instead of running long cables to connect signals from buildings to buildings.

You could use one in your barn pointed at your farm house and then cord it to another router with an omni directional wifi to extend wifi in a barn etc thats an example of what you use them for. Plus it needs clear line of site to work right.
Sep 13, 2011
790 posts
453 upvotes
Québec
lead wrote: you have no clue what that is for do you?

look at the specs
Range: 10+ KM

its for directional point to point.Its a cpe. Not for your attic to cover your home it wont work that way.

You use them for long distances the band and antenna uses a beam so narrow its to shoot a concentrated signal in one direction and then you use a second pointed in that same direction to catch it. They use them instead of running long cables to connect signals from buildings to buildings.

You could use one in your barn pointed at your farm house and then cord it to another router with an omni directional wifi to extend wifi in a barn etc thats an example of what you use them for. Plus it needs clear line of site to work right.
You are right about the point to point, but the antenna gain is low for an ptp, 10 dbd. It should work close too. 10 Km is exagerated a lot !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9531 posts
2132 upvotes
Winnipeg
elgros4 wrote: You are right about the point to point, but the antenna gain is low for an ptp, 10 dbd. It should work close too. 10 Km is exagerated a lot !
It is exaggerated. theoretical under perfect optimal conditions maybe.

I like the soc on edge-x but its weak now. Kinda ageing out.
Look at this
https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=282
openwrt
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/nanopi-r2s- ... vice/65374
look at those numbers with sqm cake enabled and aes encryption. Now match those numbers with a unified product capable of sqm cake and aes. The edge-x maybe could hit 100mbps with true cake.

You add a sub -20 gigabit switch and a 69.99 eap 225. Thats crazy affordable with amazing numbers you could probably run a full pihole too as its going to only to use 2 cores.Maybe even a omaha controller on it or just buy 2. There are already guys who have ran rpi 4's with usb gigabit ethernet for over a year and true cake.

a76 socs are out this year too. I think common routing is in for a wake up. I don't see why I would pay 450 for a53 soc on an ax all in one router right now on inflexible proprietary software when some really affordable opensource powerful solutions are already becoming available.