• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 7:08 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2021
6 posts
5 upvotes

Feedback on xiaomi e-commerce site

Hello all,

We are in the process of soft launching a GTA based e-commerce site that carries products from overseas, specifically xiaomi and xiaomi ecosystem products. My partner and I faced the same shopping challenges over the last 3-5 years when trying to buy xiaomi/overseas products as we have limited options here in north america. Authenticity, quality and warranty/support were always our biggest concern. If we found a website that had authentic products, it would be really expensive with a huge shipping cost(gear best. or bang good), otherwise aliexpress would have way too many options and we worried about authenticity. while all options had little or no warranty/support.

This is when an IT nerd(me) joined forces with a seasoned logistics/operation manager(my partner) to start a GTA based e-commerce site with a local warehouse, local support, 1 year warranty on all our products and a flexible return/exchange policy.

Our goal is to find people that have similar product passions, people that are technology adopters wanting to try new innovative products that are hard to access, and build a fan base that we can cater to here in canada.

So having said that, if you dont mind checking out our site and providing some constructive feedback as experienced shoppers, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

www.modernkomforts.com
Last edited by grindinthe6 on Feb 5th, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
[OP]
Feb 3, 2021
6 posts
5 upvotes
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Please and thank you all!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21790 posts
16010 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
grindinthe6 wrote: Any feedback would be appreciated.
1. You might want to fix the link to your site. RFD's "value add" makes it of no value at all. [Interesting that your IT guy didn't test that.]
2. Where's all the good stuff shown in the photos on the home page, e.g. Amazfit watches?
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Feb 3, 2021
6 posts
5 upvotes
bylo wrote: 1. You might want to fix the link to your site. RFD's "value add" makes it of no value at all. [Interesting that your IT guy didn't test that.]
The link has been fixed, thank you. What do you mean RFDs value add makes no value add at all?
bylo wrote: 2. Where's all the good stuff shown in the photos on the home page, e.g. Amazfit watches?
It should be under the home and office section(if you are on mobile, then you click on the arrow next to the shop to expand the menu. If you are on desktop, you could hover over the word shop to see the sub menu.

If you click on shop, that will shop you all products, but may have to scroll a little more to find the Mi Band 5

Thank for the feedback!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21790 posts
16010 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
grindinthe6 wrote: The link has been fixed, thank you. What do you mean RFDs value add makes no value add at all?
I'm being sarcastic. RFD adds tracking info to the URL so that presumably they can monetize the clicks. This generally works for major sites. But more often than not it screws up on smaller sites like yours. So instead of adding value to an existing link they render it of no value to anyone.
It should be under the home and office section(if you are on mobile, then you click on the arrow next to the shop to expand the menu. If you are on desktop, you could hover over the word shop to see the sub menu.

If you click on shop, that will shop you all products, but may have to scroll a little more to find the Mi Band 5
Yes, I found the Mi Band 5. But Xiaomi makes a large variety of fitness bands and smart watches under the Amazfit banner, e.g. the Bip (original, S, now U...) These are great values compared to name brands like Fitbit, Garmin, et al. The Bip in particular is exceptional because it gets a month on one battery charge. That's twice as long as the competition. IMO you should consider carrying these products.

BTW I do like the concept. If you can provide a local source for Xiaomi products with full support at roughly the same prices as amazon.ca then you should be quite successful.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 29, 2007
311 posts
82 upvotes
Caledon
First off, let me say that I like the concept. I'd far rather buy locally and spend a bit more, than deal with long wait times buying overseas. And in the case of my brand new phone that crapped out in three weeks, I'd much, much rather deal locally.

I was ready your FAQ and you may want to correct the spelling of "physical" in the answer. It also should say, "but are considering them in the future.".
IMG_20210205_142306.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1679 posts
1967 upvotes
mondriano wrote: First off, let me say that I like the concept. I'd far rather buy locally and spend a bit more, than deal with long wait times buying overseas. And in the case of my brand new phone that crapped out in three weeks, I'd much, much rather deal locally.

I was ready your FAQ and you may want to correct the spelling of "physical" in the answer. It also should say, "but are considering them in the future.".

IMG_20210205_142306.jpg
This comment stresses the need for you to pay for a professional editor to review the site for grammar and consistency. You mentioned 24/7 support on one page, then talk about 24-48 hour turnaround on questions or is it as soon as you can via chat? There are a few other points but will leave that for you to look into.

It is easy to over look things especially if it is not your area of focus; have worked with professional writers in the past where the work would be sent to editors for review. If it is customer facing, got to do it properly. Hope it works out for you.
Jul 10, 2020
124 posts
149 upvotes
I would start with Featured items on the first page, I had to scroll down 2 pages to see what sells on your site. Attention on the internet is ultra short, if someone is interested they will explore other areas of your site.

Other than that I'm a huge fan of Xiaomi, very high quality items for incredible price. Almost best bang for buck without sacrifice. It's incredible that people are paying 2x more for items with similar performance from western brands / Samsung
I write an investing blog