• Nov 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg

feels like a poor black friday compared to past

I don't know????

but to me all the best online deals were yesterday before black friday and they weren't anything to write home about. Granted i would think its all about getting people instore. I went to some stores and I have seen better deals periodically than whats onsale today.

"Wait to till black friday" may not be the best pattern to fall into anymore.
Last edited by lead on Nov 24th, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
46 replies
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
agrreed. shitty deals this year. no door crashers. nothing to be excited about
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Thanks to our weak dollar.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1900 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
Was waiting for someone to post this. EXACT SAME thread each and every year without fail :)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1069 posts
100 upvotes
Felt more like a clearance sale on old stock and items no one wants than a Black Friday sale.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Thanks to our weak dollar.
cad to us .79 now
last year was around 0.74
the year before around 0.75
2014 = 0.88

this year just seems worse than the 2 previous years.

Outside of a few posts from amazon limited deals the other online retailers really haven't stepped up with much product to atleast attract much attention to their sites. The lowest price deals were again before today some throughout the week. But today in particular bleeeeh nothing to have wasted your time waiting for.
Last edited by lead on Nov 24th, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 7, 2012
824 posts
847 upvotes
gta
even the states blackfriday sales seemed not as good as other years
the amazon effect? margins are already so low they cant go lower?
plus there hasnt been a breakthrough technology where there is a decidely downwards slide interms of price, everything nowadays is a slight improvement/iteration of the previous device.
Oct 5, 2014
160 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
navyblue wrote: even the states blackfriday sales seemed not as good as other years
the amazon effect? margins are already so low they cant go lower?
plus there hasnt been a breakthrough technology where there is a decidely downwards slide interms of price, everything nowadays is a slight improvement/iteration of the previous device.
This.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
VertigoM wrote: Was waiting for someone to post this. EXACT SAME thread each and every year without fail :)
True, but OP isn't wrong either.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'm also seeing items that were increased in price so they could be reduced for BF, to the price they were sold for a days or a week ago. A couple of stoves that I was looking at are being offered at a BF sale price, which is what exactly they were offered at last week, but the original price for BF was posted as $200-$300 higher. They were never sold at that price.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great deals on entertainment and tech stuff, sorry you couldn't find %50 off on socks or whatever.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
nabiul wrote: Great deals on entertainment and tech stuff, sorry you couldn't find %50 off on socks or whatever.
paid less for everything I wanted long before black friday deal even came close. I going with "its best not to wait for black friday anymore".
The madness alone won't bank you the savings vs vigilance and patience thru out the year.
Nov 23, 2017
3 posts
I compared blackfriday and boxing day for 2016 deals. and found that boxing day had better deals for tv's , a few hundred dollars less on boxing day for many models.

so i think boxing day might be a better day to shop than blackfriday... thoughts?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1173 posts
351 upvotes
It's without a doubt the worst BF I've ever seen. Of course there are a few deals to be had but it's no diff than every other weekend flyer. Our local mall was a ghost town. We did manage to score a $388 32G iPad from Wal-Mart. But all in all the deals were pathetic.
Nov 23, 2015
907 posts
595 upvotes
I was pleased to find 3 things I was planning to buy anyway marked down substantially, most notably the Saeco espresso machine at The Bay. I didn't do any impulse buying, though.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
It all depends on how likely the sales matched what's on your buy list. I was able to pick up some items and was disappointed some other items weren't reduced more. But agree that some of the sales could have been had earlier - I think it's a way the retailers test their sale prices..
Nov 23, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Hoping retailers are just saving all of their best deals for Cyber Monday..
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
Outside of phones and TVs and PS4/Xbox it's really bad imo. For instance there's no laptop like last year at the MS store that has really taken the crown of best deal by far, it's just a bunch of okay deals.

SSDs are literally the same price as last year... I understand prices have gone up due to NAND unavailability but come on.

Like the last two years have been bad too, but at least I could usually count on Amazon to step up and offer a few amazing deals. We'll see if they come up with anything over the weekend...
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Got two 65 inch TVs, two tvs mounts, traded in og ps4 in for a PS4 pro, 3 suits for work and grabbed a bunch of Disney dolls for my daughter

I had a hell of a past 24 hrs, lol

Great BF for me