• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
12 posts
5 upvotes

Fence Issue: neighbour wants to build a shared fence

Our neighbour wants to put in a fence on one side To finish the fence project to box in his property and has come over with plans and estimates to put it in the property line
After he came over I though about it and we do not want a fence to be a on the property line and be a shared expense since we currently have that issue with another neighbour and we are the only ones maintaining the shared tree line. Additionally we know the headache from friends of shared fences etc. And figure for future owners it would be less of a headache.

Would I be the bad neighbour if I tell him I don’t want a shared fence, but he is welcome to put it inside of his s property ? In regards to a say in style extra I already plan on planting cedars on our side.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 20th, 2020 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
41 replies
Jan 22, 2012
647 posts
259 upvotes
Bradford
How long are you planning to stay in the house? Do you want to get along with them after this?

Seems like the neighbour is trying to do things in a respectable way.
Mar 25, 2002
694 posts
131 upvotes
Also depending on your city you will be responsible for half the cost of a chain link fence
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1280 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on your municipality but you may be SOL and need to contribute to a minimum short chain fence (that neither of you want)
May 15, 2017
268 posts
292 upvotes
Yes you would be a less than ideal neighbour if you told them to move the fence over 6" and for them to pay 100% of the cost because you don't want a "shared" fence, even though you will still benefit from it once it is built. The neighbourly thing to do is pay for half the fence and be done with it.

Also, from what I am reading - YOU are the headache with shared fences.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
Neighbours often have too much of their own interests in mind when they want you to share in the fence they have chosen.

Such as, they are getting a dog or wanting to run a daycare business. Or they are going to put their house on the market and want it to look its best.

No real reason why you should contribute to their plans, unless of course you will be inconvenienced on an ongoing basis if you don't.

Their fence on their side, and your cedars on your side sounds like a perfectly sensible plan to me, unless the development or local govt. requires you to have shared fences.

Try and determine if they are open and sincere, and play it by ear. Sometimes it does make sense to be cooperative in order to retain harmony. But case-by-case basis.
Just a fact of life when living in a community, be it single-family housing or multi.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11947 posts
7119 upvotes
Paris
macnut wrote: No real reason why you should contribute to their plans, unless of course you will be inconvenienced on an ongoing basis if you don't.
Except, you know the law and stuff if in Ontario. Fences and lines act.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1385 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know where it says they "have to" pay for the chain link? I think if they dont, the only way to get half the cost of a chain link is to go to small claims court.

I agree with the others, if it's not some ugly fence choice and fits the look of the neighborhood, share it and be done with it. Then plant cedars on your side. Good luck....all the ppl that have done the cedar thing have had to replace half year over year
JS
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11079 posts
4331 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Anyone know where it says they "have to" pay for the chain link? I think if they dont, the only way to get half the cost of a chain link is to go to small claims court.

I agree with the others, if it's not some ugly fence choice and fits the look of the neighborhood, share it and be done with it. Then plant cedars on your side. Good luck....all the ppl that have done the cedar thing have had to replace half year over year
Check local bylaws.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
Jerico wrote: Except, you know the law and stuff if in Ontario. Fences and lines act.
It's a local bylaw issue and each municipality does it differently.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47765 posts
8474 upvotes
Richmond Hill
djeffery wrote: It's a local bylaw issue and each municipality does it differently.
The way bylaws typically work is the province has a standard set, and municipalities will create new ones or make amendments for the local community if needed. This way, there's always a default set of clauses and each municipality does not need to start from scratch.

I'd say most municipalities have not had the need to make changes to the default clauses set out by the province, so it's usually safe to say the Ontario act would usually be applicable.
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
Ontario Act does not speak to who pays for a fence and what kind. It is a local bylaw issue. Call in to find out what your responsibility is for the fence. Some places I have lived it is half the cost of a chain link fence, in others it does not speak to it at all and it is fully up to the individuals.

To OP - as a good neighbour you should pay for half as long as it is not an expensive fence with added things you don’t want. At least half the cost of a regular reasonably priced fence similar to others in the area. After all, you will be enjoying it too. This is a part of homeownership.
Mar 3, 2012
259 posts
127 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You can share the cost for the fence but have his put it on his properties line. So you don’t need to maintain it if something happen to the fence.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
macnut wrote: Neighbours often have too much of their own interests in mind when they want you to share in the fence they have chosen.

Such as, they are getting a dog or wanting to run a daycare business. Or they are going to put their house on the market and want it to look its best.
So this neighbor is doing the right thing and asking to help before anything becomes an issue. Else next thread we see is .. neighbor got a dog and its in my backyard because he did not put up a fence. All three scenarios you mentioned have mutual benefits in the long term to both parties.

Never get why people want to own nice stuff e.g. houses, cars but when it comes time to put up the costs of owning such assets start complaining.

As others have said .. as long as costs are in line and it's matching the rest of neighborhood I would just go along. At the most I would get the fence contractor just to be sure it's done correctly.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1004 posts
216 upvotes
Another scenario, if neighbour wants to extend the fence to the front yard (half of front yard) and they have decided to hire their own contractor without consulting and asked if you want to split the cost ? I was laid off, so politely told them that would love to split the cost later or I can re-do the the existing shared fence to match the new fence in couple of months with my own expenses to compensate. After a day or 2, neighbour informed me that, they need $250 only I agreed but later neighbour changed their mind and put fence on their side (single side, exposing my side) without informing me, should i still give the the $250 ? I don't mind giving them or I'm planning to re-do the old existing shared fence with new ones without taking money from them ! Should I still give them $250 or not ?

FYI: I took few quotes for the same job and most of the contractor's quoted pretty cheap compared to their price but neighbour decided to go ahead with their contractor only.

What you will do in this scenario. Right now fence is in their property and my side is exposed (No complaints at all).
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4594 posts
4020 upvotes
Toronto
The cost of fences over the time you'll own the house amounts to peanuts. Just pay half of whatever reasonable quotes they get (suggest 3 quotes, and get your own) and be done with it. Then plant your cedars and you're done.

15 years from now you'll have to think about the fence again if it was built properly. Who cares.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22785 posts
21626 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MK1986 wrote: Another scenario, if neighbour wants to extend the fence to the front yard (half of front yard) and they have decided to hire their own contractor without consulting and asked if you want to split the cost ? I was laid off, so politely told them that would love to split the cost later or I can re-do the the existing shared fence to match the new fence in couple of months with my own expenses to compensate. After a day or 2, neighbour informed me that, they need $250 only I agreed but later neighbour changed their mind and put fence on their side (single side, exposing my side) without informing me, should i still give the the $250 ? I don't mind giving them or I'm planning to re-do the old existing shared fence with new ones without taking money from them ! Should I still give them $250 or not ?

FYI: I took few quotes for the same job and most of the contractor's quoted pretty cheap compared to their price but neighbour decided to go ahead with their contractor only.

What you will do in this scenario. Right now fence is in their property and my side is exposed (No complaints at all).
Sorry, but sounds complicated ... front yard & all

A photo to see what it is you are dealing with might be helpful

But $ 250 (your half) sounds extremely cheap to me for any fence. Heck I know fencing companies where that would be just their call out fee
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1004 posts
216 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Sorry, but sounds complicated ... front yard & all

A photo to see what it is you are dealing with might be helpful

But $ 250 (your half) sounds extremely cheap to me for any fence. Heck I know fencing companies where that would be just their call out fee
My house frontage is few step behind my neighbour's house frontage (garage to garage), we already have shared fence till front of my house (front entrance) but neighbour wanted to extend the fence till their garage (hardly 20 feet fence) and they want to install an additional gate as well on their side. I will try to get a picture. Total quoted cost was $1400 (including gate for them) verbally but the contractor did some repair job on my neighbour's other side fence as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1509 posts
1224 upvotes
HAMILTON
Neighbors and fences are a PITA.

If you do not want the fence, tell them. Explain why, don't just say no. Tell them what your plans are.

I personally think it is very presumptuous of neighbors to ask you to pay 1/2 of a fence that they want. It is almost a sense of entitlement that they demand you pay 1/2 of their fence.

My own opinion of how the process should go if I want a fence, talk to the neighbor, explain what I am going to do and ask it they are interested in paying a portion. If not, no big deal,. Fence on my side of property line by and inch or 2 and carry on with life.

People ( neighbors ) should not get all bent out of shape that you do not share their vision.
Dec 25, 2006
311 posts
94 upvotes
Why people want an open field behind their backyard with multiple neighbours and such little privacy is beyond me. As others have said, just pay for your share of the fence. Depending on your lot size, it should be $1k to $2k. Work a deal with your neighbour if you are short on the money. The concerns on fence maintenance are incorrect. A new fence will hold up fine for 10-15 years with little to no maintenance. Wood comes pressure treated and does not even need staining these days. Do people actually like having no privacy in their backyards?