Fence Quote taking us to the cleaners?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2022 10:56 am
Tags:
Feb 26, 2019
607 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa
I am in Ottawa. I had fencing quotes done in March, just before shut down. This pricing was before the lumber shortages. I had two fencing companies (Ideal Fence and Fence-all). Both were charging $80/linear foot for 6' privacy fence in cedar. I was getting 140 linear feet of fence. I also had two landscapers give me quotes, and there prices were essentially the same. There was another $500 for disposal of old fence and $450 for a gate. This is on a fairly tight urban lot with tricky access. Might be cheaper out in the 'burbs.

So this, seems a little cheaper than your quote.

BUT: the landscaper I hired has ordered the wood for my fence last week, and has had to come back to me for more money. Materials ended up being about 1200 more than spring pricing from the lumber yard. Added about $10/linear feet. so current prices are about $90-100/ft for cedar fence here in Ottawa.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1522 posts
946 upvotes
ottawa
dottawat wrote: I am in Ottawa. I had fencing quotes done in March, just before shut down. This pricing was before the lumber shortages. I had two fencing companies (Ideal Fence and Fence-all). Both were charging $80/linear foot for 6' privacy fence in cedar. I was getting 140 linear feet of fence. I also had two landscapers give me quotes, and there prices were essentially the same. There was another $500 for disposal of old fence and $450 for a gate. This is on a fairly tight urban lot with tricky access. Might be cheaper out in the 'burbs.

So this, seems a little cheaper than your quote.

BUT: the landscaper I hired has ordered the wood for my fence last week, and has had to come back to me for more money. Materials ended up being about 1200 more than spring pricing from the lumber yard. Added about $10/linear feet. so current prices are about $90-100/ft for cedar fence here in Ottawa.
Thank you for the insight! I think material wise cedar is usually quite a bit more, but it sounds like PT is right up there right now, for the delta in cost makes total sense to do cedar ATM.
Mar 18, 2020
4 posts
How did things work out with the fence? We are finalizing details currently for our fence and being quoted $80 per linear square foot pressure treated wood for spring 2022 in Ottawa area. So 65' of 7' high fence is costing us aprox $5000.

Is this high?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)