Expired Hot Deals

Fendrihan

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin (150g) - $20

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2021 4:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22760 posts
176092 upvotes
GTA

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin (150g) - $20

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Fendrihan
Fendrihan is having their Labour Day sale and noticed this shaving cream (which has great reviews / have heard of here on RFD but have never tried) is on sale for $20. Seems to be going for $30+ on Amazon and other sites and the 3 humps shows it has not been in the $20 range for almost a year and a half. Might be a good time to stock up or buy it to try it out. Downside is free shipping requires $50+ spend, so have to purchase multiple units unless you find something else interesting on sale...

https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/taylo ... 1196915825

Labour Day Sale link:

https://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/la ... =grid-view
26 replies
Feb 5, 2017
171 posts
165 upvotes
Tried it before, nothing special and doesn't last as long as porasco while being significantly more expensive.
Aug 13, 2006
9 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use the sensitive skin cream for the last 3 years. Great smell compared to proraso which smells way too strong.
Jun 12, 2007
947 posts
600 upvotes
Dont know what you guys are talking about with Arko and Proraso.. Those are the budget of the budget brands.
Taylor of Old bond street is wayyyy better. I've been ordering Ogallala Bay Rum soap from fendrihan for a while, i like it for the price, smell and you can microwave it to mold into your mug or old soap container.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22760 posts
176092 upvotes
GTA
cloudsuck wrote: Arko is unbeatable!
If you just want the lowest cost per shave, buy it and be done with it, then sure. But for many of us, it's not all about counting pennies and/or finding the absolute cheapest way to shave. While I am not one to 'collect' shaving software and / or have shelves full of the stuff, I would say that I like to have at least 1-2 'nicer' creams/soaps other than Arko to shave with every so often.

While I have yet to try this one out, I think I can confidently say that comparing Arko to these types of creams is like comparing a Corolla to a Mercedes.
Sep 14, 2012
955 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: . But for many of us, it's not all about counting pennies
Is such a statement even allowed on RFD?? Winking Face
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21886 posts
475 upvotes
Newmarket
Another vote for Arko.
Shave quality beats Taylor (and Proraso), lasts forever and is cheap.
Downside- the scent.
But in truth, TOBS scents always smell artificial to me anyway, so not a big win for TOBS.
All of the above is YMMV though. Different ppl like different kinds of cream, scents etc. So, there is no best.

Judge this based on whether you think $20 or $30 is a good value for TOBS. I personally would never pay $30 for TOBS. At $20, it’s ok. About what it should cost IMO. But in that range I prefer Henri et Victoria on Amazon.

This isn’t an either -or situation. Own and use both. Shaving with the same cream gets boring.
I have about 7 kinds on the go at any given time.
Aug 4, 2020
18 posts
15 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Am I the only guy still buying Gilette? I've read thru this thread and I've never heard of almost any of these brands. Mind blown.
Feb 22, 2007
225 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
thestreak wrote: Am I the only guy still buying Gilette? I've read thru this thread and I've never heard of almost any of these brands. Mind blown.
Read up on shaving with a safety razor or a straight razor and change your life in many ways:
  1. Cheaper cost per shave
  2. Better for the environment
  3. Makes you feel like a manly man
  4. Closer, smoother shave
  5. Increase sex appeal
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1516 upvotes
thestreak wrote: Am I the only guy still buying Gilette? I've read thru this thread and I've never heard of almost any of these brands. Mind blown.
+1 Gillette Squad Gang here also.

Actually I often buy the LIFE brand knockoff at shoppers. I find it crazy how there are niches for everything these days with the internet. People in this thread are comparing shaving creams to Corollas and Mercedes! hahaha.

The one dude even says "Shaving with the same cream gets boring." My man, how dull is your life that a new shave cream is an excitement?
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1516 upvotes
slicky803 wrote:
  1. Increase sex appeal
"Hey babe, if you like my shave, just wait until you see me pull out gift cards at the keg, and then explain to you how I got them using this loophole where if you use your PC Optimum points to get Sport Chek gift cards, then wait for Bonus Triangle Point days to use the Sport Chek cards to buy Keg Cards, and then...

Babe? Babe?! where you going? But... I shave with Taylor Old Bond!!!"
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21886 posts
475 upvotes
Newmarket
mikebmt wrote:

The one dude even says "Shaving with the same cream gets boring." My man, how dull is your life that a new shave cream is an excitement?
Very, very dull. The downside of not having to sweat spending a few bucks on some luxuries.

But your wannabe Kevin Hart shtick is tired too.

You’re ranting in a thread about $20+ shaving cream. Maybe it just ain’t for you?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22760 posts
176092 upvotes
GTA
mikebmt wrote: +1 Gillette Squad Gang here also.

Actually I often buy the LIFE brand knockoff at shoppers. I find it crazy how there are niches for everything these days with the internet. People in this thread are comparing shaving creams to Corollas and Mercedes! hahaha.

While each person's skin is different, (and so opinions on comfort/effectiveness will vary), in general, those cheaper aerosols/creams are not very good for your skin. They contain a lot of extra chemicals that don't do your skin / your body any favours. Personally, I hate them primarily because I find them very drying on my skin, and so I try to buy something better of better quality. No shame in that. I mean, sure, if money is so tight that you can't afford to spend a bit more (doesn't even have to be this $20 tub) then by all means, grab the cheapest product you can and carry on. But if you are of reasonable means, I'd recommend to buy something better.

Put it this way: It's like going to McDonald's, finding a cheapest burger on the menu and then deciding to have that same thing day after day. You get what you pay for. Just saying...
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1516 upvotes
stealth wrote: The downside of not having to sweat spending a few bucks on some luxuries.
toguy wrote: I mean, sure, if money is so tight that you can't afford to spend a bit more (doesn't even have to be this $20 tub) then by all means, grab the cheapest product you can and carry on. But if you are of reasonable means, I'd recommend to buy something better.

How insecure are you both that you directly tried to imply I can't afford $20 shave cream? Wow.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22760 posts
176092 upvotes
GTA
mikebmt wrote: How insecure are you both that you directly tried to ply I can't afford $20 shave cream? Wow.
Uhhh...OK? :rolleyes: Sure, buddy, you march into this thread and start trolling out of the gate, and now try to turn it around and act like others have said something wrong. Sorry this was too hard for you to understand, but obviously I'm talking in general with that post, and not 'you' specifically, just like when I said 'it's bad for your skin' it's not literally not only 'your' skin but everyone's skin.

If you have no legitimate interest in the product, maybe now might be a good time to ignore this thread and move on...smh
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1516 upvotes
toguy wrote: Uhhh...OK? :rolleyes: Sure, buddy, you march into this thread and start trolling out of the gate, and now try to turn it around and act like others have said something wrong. Sorry this was too hard for you to understand, but obviously I'm talking in general with that post, and not 'you' specifically, just like when I said 'it's bad for your skin' it's not literally not only 'your' skin but everyone's skin.

If you have no legitimate interest in the product, maybe now might be a good time to ignore this thread and move on...smh
I'm gonna try your $20 shave cream. Do I need to buy a safety razor and a brush also?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22760 posts
176092 upvotes
GTA
mikebmt wrote: I'm gonna try your $20 shave cream. Do I need to buy a safety razor and a brush also?
I would say a brush is definitely not required (especially since this one is a cream vs. a soap), but consider a safety razor - usually results in fewer razor bumps/ingrown hairs due to a single blade vs. the 3-5 blades that are more common with the cartridge systems.

Note that it usually takes a bit for your beard to adjust when you switch shaving methods, so if you're switching to SE/DE shaving and it isn't perfect on the first try, give it 1-2 weeks before you decide whether it's working for you or not.
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1516 upvotes
toguy wrote: I would say a brush is definitely not required (especially since this one is a cream vs. a soap), but consider a safety razor - usually results in fewer razor bumps/ingrown hairs due to a single blade vs. the 3-5 blades that are more common with the cartridge systems.

Note that it usually takes a bit for your beard to adjust when you switch shaving methods, so if you're switching to SE/DE shaving and it isn't perfect on the first try, give it 1-2 weeks before you decide whether it's working for you or not.
I'm getting a merkur 34C and some sample blades, and a styptic pen and going to give it a try.

How did $20 shave cream I didn't even want end up costing me this much?!