Oct 14, 2007
483 posts
663 upvotes
Thedford

Festool Kapex mitre saw 10% discount during Febuary $1524.00

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 28, 2015
The Festool Kapex sliding mitre saw and some accessories are on sale at authorized Festool dealers during February.

Not for the faint of heart, this is an expensive saw at the $1524.00 sale price. The prices on Festool products are expected to rise about 9 % in March.

Festool products are well-made and thought of by most users.

I have three of their sanders as well as a vacuum and have been very pleased with the performance.

Lots of reviews of the Kapex; Google is your friend.
19 replies
Nov 12, 2011
40 posts
17 upvotes
Sherwood Park
Is the 8' track saw on sale as well? Is the sale online or in Canadian stores as well?
Sep 6, 2008
76 posts
14 upvotes
Once you have used a kapex, there is no way of going back to other mitre saws. The kapex is in a league of its own in terms of its built and performance.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
I have both the track saw and 10' track (which replaces both a table saw and a circular saw and is designed to eliminate chipping of anything you cut) and the router. Expensive but the best tools I have ever owned. Absolutely marvellous German design.
Jan 24, 2014
28 posts
186 upvotes
Calgary
Festool is pricey but take it from someone who uses Festool exclusively, they make the absolute best tool on the market today. If you are looking a quality mitre saw and have the money you should buy this one at 10% off, actually 20% off as I was told by an authorized dealer the price will go up 10% March 1.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3032 posts
2513 upvotes
GTA Ontario
gizmo8 wrote: hell no.. I know trades people who builds million dollars houses using 5 year old dewalts and they do a great job,those who think buying this makes them the next Holmes keep on dreaming.
:facepalm: Yes, you can build any size house with pretty much any tool. The idea that buying a nicer tool makes you famous (or whatever you're implying by referencing Holmes) was never mentioned - that's just a silly assumption on your part. If those trades people you know have ever used a Festool, they'll tell you that it is indeed a lot nicer to use than DeWalt tools. If they haven't, they have nothing to base an option on, other than the price. And since they still get paid to build the house even if they only buy DeWalt, and they aren't interested in finding out whether a Festool would actually be worthwhile for them, they'll never tell you anything other than "DeWalt is good enough". Then ask them if they'd be willing to build those million-dollar houses using a Black & Decker, Master Craft, Kobalt, Job Mate, Fisher Price, etc. mitre saw and guess what they'll say. Funny how they do know that quality has value, yet are only willing to follow that logic to a point. Kinda reminds me of big beer brand loyalty - gotta drink what my friends drink, which is what the commercials tell them to, regardless of what my own taste buds think. Oh well, good for them, if they're happy, and good for DeWalt.

As for me, I bought a big-ass Bosch, only because I don't use a saw often enough to justify the cost of a Festool. But if I used one for a living and/or used one for hours every work day, that would be more than enough justification. You get what you pay for. Quality pays for itself. Aren't you worth it?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4480 posts
1156 upvotes
Hamilton
from a lot of reviews.
People have said the Bosch stands right beside the festool and Dewalt and Milwaukee are second.

I personally have the dewalt one. Nice LED line of sight light on it. Built a 26x12 shed 12 ft high. Came out spot on with it. Never struggled. Rebuilt a small house with it too last summer.

90% of the time, get a nice blade, the rest falls into place with any of the top 3-4 brands out there.
Jul 19, 2004
178 posts
64 upvotes
Wow, quite the emotional debate :)

I have a ton of DeWALT tools, and they're great. Can I produce "million dollar home" quality work with my DeWALT tools? Sure. But I also own a Festool TS-55 REQ saw and it does make extremely clean cuts, quickly and safely, and dead straight. Ever try to break a sheet of plywood down by yourself on a portable table saw? At the same time though, I chose not to buy their dust extractor. My Ridgid vac/Dust Deputy setup does a pretty darn good job (but I did get a Festool hose to connect to the saw).

My point - Festool tools are very well engineered and built tools. A lot of the value in Festool is the system and the dust collection. Yes it's expensive, and it's not worth it to everyone, but it's worth it to enough people either for the quality, or portability, or speed, or dust collection, or accuracy, etc. No need to bash in either direction. :)

Oh, and for the record, I knowingly bought the second best track saw out there, in case I someday find a good deal on a Festool dust collector, or any other Festool tool (I'm keeping an option open to invest in the system.) Google Mafell MT 55 if you're wondering what the best saw is ... and if you thought Festool was expensive!
Oct 25, 2006
275 posts
70 upvotes
Do you need a Ferrari? No, but do you want one? Yes. Just like Festool products if you use tools.
Jan 19, 2012
72 posts
26 upvotes
Whitehorse
gizmo8 wrote: "Quality pays for itself. Aren't you worth it?"..the heart of any sliding saw is its blade.Does Festool have a better reputation for reliablity than say a Dewalt?...Is it worth 2x more than a top of line Dewalt?....how does it make a job easier?...
Yes Festool is significantly more reliable then Dewalt.
Yes Festool is worth 2x the price of Dewalt.

Those are facts, and with more time and experience you will learn this too.

Are you asking how a more accurate and lighter mitre saw makes a job easier? I am not going to answer this because it should be self explanatory.

Did you know that the you can set the Kapex on the floor and use the size one Systainers to support your work piece because the Kapex was designed to be used this way? Or how it is easier to be able to use a miter saw inside of a house when doing finish carpentry vs having to go outside to make every cut?

The next time your at the hardware store flick the blade on the Kapex with your finger, it gives a dull thud then go and flick the blades on the other miter saws and you will hear a very clear difference.

Festool sells a system of tools and components that work together, dewalt sells overpriced tools that are not compatible with each other and fail on you when you need them (this is a fact that has been proven to me time and time again)

But in the end what it comes down too is do you need the reduced weight and improved dust extraction, and however slight improved accuracy of the Kapex over a Bosch Glide (which comes on sale for as low as $600)?

Another benefit to Festool is they hold their value and you can buy there tools without having to look up numerous reviews to try and figure out if that particular make and model is any good. Plus a money back guarantee, and you don't have to wait for a sale because they have pretty consistent pricing. Hell you could probably buy the Kapex today and sell it in a year and maybe make $20 in the process, you can do this with dewalt, although dewalt tools will match the rest of the tools you stole from work, which is the only reason I can imagine any one buying that yellow crap.

Oh fun fact, in Europe if you had your work truck stolen and you file a police report Festool will replace everyone of there tools you had stolen.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Yes I needed a Ferrari, i.e. the Festool track saw. It allows me to cut 8'x4' veneered plywood sheets which I cannot do alone a tablesaw. It also cuts without chipping the veneer which tablesaws and circular saws can't do. It allows me to transport the saw which I cannot do with a tablesaw by myself. It is part of the festool system. It has the best dust extraction system out there.

For a few hundred bucks more on each tool my frustration and hassle factor is 1% of what it is with other tools.The extra cost is a pittance compared to everything else I spend on home renovation and it is also something I can reuse day after day after day.

Yes, sometimes a 'Ferrari' is not just an indulgence.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5027 posts
1704 upvotes
Unless you're a high end contractor doing a ton of large trim work, this is a total waste of money. You can get 3 DeWalt 780s for the same price.
Let's hug it out
Dec 18, 2005
411 posts
8 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Yes I needed a Ferrari, i.e. the Festool track saw. It allows me to cut 8'x4' veneered plywood sheets which I cannot do alone a tablesaw. It also cuts without chipping the veneer which tablesaws and circular saws can't do. It allows me to transport the saw which I cannot do with a tablesaw by myself. It is part of the festool system. It has the best dust extraction system out there.

For a few hundred bucks more on each tool my frustration and hassle factor is 1% of what it is with other tools.The extra cost is a pittance compared to everything else I spend on home renovation and it is also something I can reuse day after day after day.

Yes, sometimes a 'Ferrari' is not just an indulgence.
Track saws are also being made by Dewalt and Makita. I personally have Makita, it's great .
I have Festool jigsaw and cordless drill, paid a lot more than I would have for Dewalt or Bosch.
To be honest I don't see a lot of difference. Festool is a great brand, but way overpriced.
Jan 4, 2017
93 posts
25 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Russian wrote: Track saws are also being made by Dewalt and Makita. I personally have Makita, it's great .
I have Festool jigsaw and cordless drill, paid a lot more than I would have for Dewalt or Bosch.
To be honest I don't see a lot of difference. Festool is a great brand, but way overpriced.
Much higher priced, but I don't think overpriced.

I have a Ridgid SCMS that is more than enough for me, but it takes up a lot of space to operate, and the dust collection is iffy at best.

We had work done recently and they brought a Kapex. Setup in a hallway with room to get by (impossible with the Ridgid) and caught every single dust particle with the Festool vac setup.

Expensive, but when you have the system, there are valuable benefits.

If I was buying now, I'd get the Bosch slider. Zero rear clearance and decent DC at 1/2 (sometimes 1/3) the price. And I've been happy with my Bosch 18v and l-boxx setup.

If I had a Festool vac/dc , it would be the Kapex instead. Then the track saw.
Then the rest of my money. What a hobby!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Russian wrote: Track saws are also being made by Dewalt and Makita. I personally have Makita, it's great .
Well if you take a look at how the Festool is engineered versus the other brands you mentioned you'll see there's no comparison. Festool is way better designed and manufactured. It takes more than the label 'track saw' to compete with Festool
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
the festool track saws give me wet dreams... fun fact, the dewalt is often more money

I am a "tool" guy. I worked for various manufacturers and have seen the tolerances tools are built too, and heard the horror stories when things go south and lived the recalls. Festool stands on their own.

Full disclosure: I don't have any of their tools and mainly have Dewalt corded, Ryobi pre-2000 (before they went all Depot pricee point), Ridgid and Milwaukee. I own around 7 cordless drills and the same in impacts from various companies, and have helped reverse engineer many manufacturers tools.