Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2020

FFVII Remake is $52.79 on the Playstation shop. Should I get it now or wait for a possibly better Boxing Day sale?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 4:43 pm
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote

FFVII Remake is $52.79 on the Playstation shop. Should I get it now or wait for a possibly better Boxing Day sale?

I probably will want to play the FFVII Remake at some point, and right now it's 34% off its usual price on the Playstation shop, at $52.79 marked down from $79.99. However, since I'm not actually in a rush to play and got other games to keep me busy for the next little while, I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to wait until Boxing Day when potentially there'll be an ever bigger sale. What do people think? Historically, how have sales on the Playstation store on Boxing Day compared to those on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10658 posts
1392 upvotes
Brampton
Its $49.99 at some retailers for BF.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 63-0-0 and counting.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Thanks! I've been trying to avoid in-person video game retailers since the pandemic began (ironically before the pandemic I was doing the exact opposite in order to try and support small business), but I might have to look into that. Though that's really only a $3 difference, so I'unno....

I'm still wondering if there'll be an upcoming sale, likely around Boxing Day, where it'll be even cheaper.
Aug 14, 2015
917 posts
575 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I played 10 hours of it and lost interest fairly quickly. That was during the October sale when it was $55.

Don't know why - I may have more interest in continuing if I hadn't played through the original FF7 once.

Knowing what I know now - for me personally - it might be better if I just wait until all the discs comes out. Then purchase that entire deluxe package on sale for about $25.

I suspect that price will happen in ~2.5 years or so.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Ah, OK, thanks! You said during October there was a sale where it was $55? Which is basically comparable to the sale now. And October wasn't around any traditional "discount days" like Black Friday or Boxing Day. So even if I do hold off for now it sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity for upcoming sales, including Boxing Day and even potentially beyond that. Perhaps I'll do that. Thanks again!

Also, even just money aside, I'm not super-looking forward to downloading a 100 GB file. =S I would have to stagger this over the course of many days in periods between 2 AM and 8 AM when TekSavvy doesn't count my download total.
Dec 7, 2008
153 posts
70 upvotes
Depends on if you care about ff7, it's only a small portion of the entire game. For me, I preordered it, played it and loved it and thought the money was well spent, but only because it brought back childhood memories.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Looks like I made the right call, as it's now $39.99! And better yet, TekSavvy is temporarily waiving download limits until January 31st, meaning I don't have to worry about only trying to acquire this 100 GB game during the hours of 2 AM and 8 AM!