Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
798 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto

Fiber Internet vs. Cable Internet

I'm currently on Rogers and have their 100mbps internet, home phone and cable tv.

I called Bell to see what they could offer me. For roughly the same price, they offered me a better cable package and a worst internet package - 50mbps.

They told me that their 50mbps fiber optic lines is a lot better than Rogers 100mbps lines. They say I will see their fiber transmitting faster and more reliable internet than Roger's, even at half the speed.

How could a Fiber cable transmitting 50mbps be faster than another cable transmitting 100mbps? That just doesn't add up. Was the Bell rep spewing lies, or is fiber really that magical?
29 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4774 posts
2809 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Haha

Seriously

This is a new low from Bell
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3063 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
vonblock wrote: Haha

Seriously

This is a new low from Bell
Got this response a month ago from bell chat
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1408 posts
849 upvotes
Barrie ON
steeped wrote: I'm currently on Rogers and have their 100mbps internet, home phone and cable tv.
I found that cable Internet only provided the advertised speed during the off normal hours. During peak times the speed would drop drastically.

I found that Bell speeds were exactly the same for the entire day.

What are you currently experiencing with cable speeds throughout the day? What are the minimum and maximum speeds you see?

Edit: Just to clarify my point, 100 mbs is no doubt faster than 50mbs, but if your only getting 30mbs during the times you most often use the Internet, then 50mbs from Bell all day long, may be preferable. At least these were my experiences with cable over 10 years ago when I switched to Bell.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4456 posts
694 upvotes
Don't listen to their BS. They told me that their "Fibe" 5 was faster than my Ignite 250.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4774 posts
2809 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Rick007 wrote: I found that cable Internet only provided the advertised speed during the off normal hours. During peak times the speed would drop drastically.

I found that Bell speeds were exactly the same for the entire day.

What are you currently experiencing with cable speeds throughout the day? What are the minimum and maximum speeds you see?
Canada governmental internet speed testing don't think that.

Cable internet faster than 10 Mbps in Canada offer 100% of its speed everytime.

In fact 40+ Mbps cable or fiber FTTH have the exact same reliability according to this massive research.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/ ... 160317.htm
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
Latency wise, Fibe does rock. Brute speed, that Roger's line should win most of the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1408 posts
849 upvotes
Barrie ON
vonblock wrote: Canada governmental internet speed testing don't think that.
Thanks for that link. It looks like things have changed over the years. I guess 100mbs really is faster than 50mbs these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4774 posts
2809 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Rick007 wrote: Thanks for that link. It looks like things have changed over the years. I guess 100mbs really is faster than 50mbs these days.
It's still true when they can only offer crappy speed like below 10 Mbps.

It's because they usually pushing things to the limit and it get more unreliable, more distance from the relay. More error prone and usually more user on the same network so they have to reduce speed in peak hours.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20420 posts
8457 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, fibe is a marketing gimmick used by Bell to give the impression that a fiber optic link is deployed into the home. That said, Bell is working on bringing gigabit service to homes. It is a really slow process. They have been hard at work burying orange colored cable in my neighborhood for several months now. There are signs all over the place advertising that the new service is coming soon.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2495 posts
138 upvotes
York
When talking about Rogers and Bell you can't blame them for spamming their bs marketing crap. I doubt anyone working there even knows anything about networking. IMO (for Canadian internet at least) it's up to us as a consumer to be informed to make smart decisions.

Names are names for advertising sake. Fibe is just a word. FTTN is not the same as FTTH. Most areas only have FTTN, meaning the fastest package available to most people will be Fibe 50.

I'm looking to switch back to Bell DSL because of a cable networking issue in my area that is not getting solved anytime soon it seems. Was recently speaking with Bell a few times about their internet packages and they just throw random information that I suppose sounds nice on paper but has no relevance to the questions I asked. For example, when asked if they have a unlimited usage window at nights/mornings similar to some cable providers they kept talking about how their modem was so amazing. I legitimately reached the point where I had to specify to the rep that what I was asking was a yes or no question and that they needed to respond with one of those two options... They baffle me as well, both Fibe 25 and 50 are available in my area. I told them I was interested in Fibe 50 with their unlimited usage add on and they kept trying to sell me Fibe 25 at a discounted price. Like i'm offering them twice as much money, and they just won't take it.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
798 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: Lol, fibe is a marketing gimmick used by Bell to give the impression that a fiber optic link is deployed into the home. That said, Bell is working on bringing gigabit service to homes. It is a really slow process. They have been hard at work burying orange colored cable in my neighborhood for several months now. There are signs all over the place advertising that the new service is coming soon.
I have FTTH in my area, so they're offering the gigabit speeds... But so does Rogers, and I'm pretty sure Rogers gigabit is the same speed as Bell's Fiber gigabit.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
steeped wrote: I have FTTH in my area, so they're offering the gigabit speeds... But so does Rogers, and I'm pretty sure Rogers gigabit is the same speed as Bell's Fiber gigabit.
You should see what kind of offer you can get from both companies. Both services will be great. Lots of us got Gigabit + VIP TV through Rogers last week for $99/month guaranteed for 2 years. Other people are claiming that Bell is offering a similar deal for $80/month. Good luck! I would just go with whoever offers it cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1271 posts
115 upvotes
steeped wrote: I have FTTH in my area, so they're offering the gigabit speeds... But so does Rogers, and I'm pretty sure Rogers gigabit is the same speed as Bell's Fiber gigabit.
Speeds on both are stable if you have fibre coming into your home for Rogers and Bell, but latency on Rogers is still worse since they don't use fibre all the way to the modem. They use RFoG where Bell is GPON for their FTTH customers.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I get sub 5ms and 900Mbps+ on my Rogers Gigabit cable connection.

Bell sales reps are the worst! Those guys are in India if I'm not mistaken and lie through their teeth to get a sale.
They're basically the equivalent of those duct cleaning calls you get daily.
Jun 21, 2016
29 posts
5 upvotes
When I test my 100M Rogers cable connection at various times and days of the week, my speed varies from 70M to 170M, but is usually more than the 100M that I'm paying for. Any of my friends who have Bell Fibe have reported that they have yet to even report 90% of their speed and usually are hovering around 50%. So, their 50M service tends to hover around 25M.

At the end of the day, all our home connections junction somewhere that will likely bottleneck at times of heavy use...whether on Cable or Fibe.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1271 posts
115 upvotes
lcoughey wrote: When I test my 100M Rogers cable connection at various times and days of the week, my speed varies from 70M to 170M, but is usually more than the 100M that I'm paying for. Any of my friends who have Bell Fibe have reported that they have yet to even report 90% of their speed and usually are hovering around 50%. So, their 50M service tends to hover around 25M.

At the end of the day, all our home connections junction somewhere that will likely bottleneck at times of heavy use...whether on Cable or Fibe.
My Rogers ranges from 700-910mbps so close to my max. When I was on the Rogers 250 plan before, I usually got 280. But with Bell service, I have always got 100% of the advertised speed, no more, no less.