• Aug 26th, 2021 9:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario

Fibre options

Hey guys, live out in the sticks so I haven’t paid too much attention to this stuff.

Finally on the short list for Fibre in my area, it’s Rogers that is running it (I’m in Ontario).

With Rogers doing the line, what providers outside of Rogers can I get? I’m going to assume I can’t get Bell or Virgin. Tec Saavy? Fido? Bueller?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2047 posts
1446 upvotes
Vancouver
Type your address into the provider websites and figure it out if they offer fiber. Or check coverage maps
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
kramer1 wrote: Type your address into the provider websites and figure it out if they offer fiber. Or check coverage maps
Nothing comes up on any of them yet, as there is no service yet. They are running it starting this month. Previously only other options were wireless.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2047 posts
1446 upvotes
Vancouver
I heard some people got Starlink working, maybe that’d be an option.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
kramer1 wrote: I heard some people got Starlink working, maybe that’d be an option.
It is, but with Fibre being rolled out here, I’ll take that over Starlink.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
DanC13127 wrote: It is, but with Fibre being rolled out here, I’ll take that over Starlink.
Good Call going with the cable over the starlink. Not that starlink is bad but you will save money with cable over the startup costs/monthly price of starlink.

As for your cable, you should be able to use any cable internet provider that piggybacks on rogers network. The issue is that until your address is updated in the rogers system none of the other providers will be able to 'see' you on the network. My last house was in Shaw country in a new subdivision and never had cable run into the house (had local ISP fiber to the home). Once I wanted to go with cable because of the price increases of the FTTH I got ahold of Shaw and had them come and put the cable into the house. After a year with them I was able to switch to any cable provider that piggybacked on Shaw as my address was 'in the system'.

Your best bet maybe to go with Rogers as a new customer (should be able to get a deal) for a year then check your options at that point.
May 29, 2008
809 posts
343 upvotes
None of the third party ISPs have access to any of the big players' fibre at the time, as far as I know.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13093 posts
4703 upvotes
Ontario
If its like Bell Fiber to the home nobody has access to it other then the company that installed it. Now if rogers is just doing fiber to your area then a regular cable line to your home then other companies will likely have access. But if its direct fiber to your home you likely will only have Rogers as options.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
A lot to look into. I always prefer wired. I’ve been stuck with Bell rural hub and finally Xplornet once the area was upgraded. I’ve had no issues with it, but need more upload.

Almost pulled the trigger with Starlink, but the cost was too much, knowing upgrades were coming.

I’ve been that guy locally bugging all levels of government for us to get upgrades. Thankfully they bypassed the 50/10 aim and went for big gig.

The issue we have alway had is we are too close to town that we get over looked, but too far from “up north” to get help.

From what I understand, Rogers is running the line up the road, and then to each house from the road. I have friends that got Bell Fibre run to their place and we’re able to go with Virgin instead. Most likely I will go with Rogers right away, there will probably be deals to be had. Then look around.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
DanC13127 wrote: A lot to look into. I always prefer wired. I’ve been stuck with Bell rural hub and finally Xplornet once the area was upgraded. I’ve had no issues with it, but need more upload.

Almost pulled the trigger with Starlink, but the cost was too much, knowing upgrades were coming.

I’ve been that guy locally bugging all levels of government for us to get upgrades. Thankfully they bypassed the 50/10 aim and went for big gig.

The issue we have alway had is we are too close to town that we get over looked, but too far from “up north” to get help.

From what I understand, Rogers is running the line up the road, and then to each house from the road. I have friends that got Bell Fibre run to their place and we’re able to go with Virgin instead. Most likely I will go with Rogers right away, there will probably be deals to be had. Then look around.
Sorry I maybe confused, is rogers running Fiber to your home or Cable? I assumed it was cable because fiber is usually limited to higher density area's because of the cost associated with it. You said you are in a rural area. I would verify with rogers they are not giving you a marketing term or if they are really running Fiber to your home or neighbourhood...
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
kr0zet wrote: Sorry I maybe confused, is rogers running Fiber to your home or Cable? I assumed it was cable because fiber is usually limited to higher density area's because of the cost associated with it. You said you are in a rural area. I would verify with rogers they are not giving you a marketing term or if they are really running Fiber to your home or neighbourhood...
From the Press release.

In a release, Rogers said that once it completes the expansion, residents and business owners will have access to the full suite of Rogers services, including Ignite Internet and Ignite TV. Further, carrier says its Ignite Internet will offer download speeds of up to 1.5Gbps.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Rogers invests $140 million to expand fibre to Quinte Region in Ontario
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
DanC13127 wrote: From the Press release.

In a release, Rogers said that once it completes the expansion, residents and business owners will have access to the full suite of Rogers services, including Ignite Internet and Ignite TV. Further, carrier says its Ignite Internet will offer download speeds of up to 1.5Gbps.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Rogers invests $140 million to expand fibre to Quinte Region in Ontario
My apologies, I made an assumption and it appears I am incorrect. Rogers is most likely running fiber to the neighbourhood with cable as the 'last mile'. This is the same as my last address where Shaw was my cable isp. Checking that address I can see that Teksavvy/VMedia are both offering service up to cable 1000 with the right modem now that the address is in the system. It will probably be the same with you, you'll need to be with rogers ignite internet first. At least that was my experience. Sorry I couldn't offer more concrete info, maybe someone else can.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1394 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
its fiborlite so you'll be limited upto 20/30 mbits upload .. congrats and welcome to 2021

its like sticking a 5" exhaust on the end of the existing tail pipe on a corrolla

we are doomed as a country when it comes to telecom :(
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
DeletedMemories wrote: its fiborlite so you'll be limited upto 20/30 mbits upload .. congrats and welcome to 2021

its like sticking a 5" exhaust on the end of the existing tail pipe on a corrolla

we are doomed as a country when it comes to telecom :(
I get it, but that's a huge leap from the 1-3 mbps upload I get now.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1394 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
DanC13127 wrote: I get it, but that's a huge leap from the 1-3 mbps upload I get now.
thats true. give it a try and see how you like it but you may not need the top tier.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
DeletedMemories wrote: thats true. give it a try and see how you like it but you may not need the top tier.
I figure I’ll end up with the 150/10 package for the longer haul. We really aren’t huge users. We don’t watch too much tv. We have been fine with our current provider (minus the terrible upload). We average 38/2. It’s a definite struggle when there is heavy usage and when we were all home working/school.

We can stream a movie/show, daughter Can be watching YouTube and my son gaming and it can keep up just fine right now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
DanC13127 wrote: I figure I’ll end up with the 150/10 package for the longer haul. We really aren’t huge users. We don’t watch too much tv. We have been fine with our current provider (minus the terrible upload). We average 38/2. It’s a definite struggle when there is heavy usage and when we were all home working/school.

We can stream a movie/show, daughter Can be watching YouTube and my son gaming and it can keep up just fine right now.
38/2?!? i'm on 5/0.5 in rural Ottawa Valley. Seriously considering Starlink just because there are no other options where I am. I am 10Km from the closest cell tower so LTE is out (my cell phone gets 1 bar and bounces between LTE and H+).

Congrats on the upgrade. :)
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
kr0zet wrote: 38/2?!? i'm on 5/0.5 in rural Ottawa Valley. Seriously considering Starlink just because there are no other options where I am. I am 10Km from the closest cell tower so LTE is out (my cell phone gets 1 bar and bounces between LTE and H+).

Congrats on the upgrade. :)
Thanks. If you are with Xplornet, they have been doing a lot of upgrades to towers. The way I understand it, when the tweak one it does affect others. New panels get added etc. at the very least I would call and voice concerns about your speeds and see if they can come out and have a site evaluation done again to repoint you. Might be in luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1842 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal
DanC13127 wrote: Thanks. If you are with Xplornet, they have been doing a lot of upgrades to towers. The way I understand it, when the tweak one it does affect others. New panels get added etc. at the very least I would call and voice concerns about your speeds and see if they can come out and have a site evaluation done again to repoint you. Might be in luck.
Got a cuz out in Alexandria (rural) stuck with xplornet for years and hating every minute of it... finally got a company to install an antenna on top of his house for a few K and I think its 150 bux a month for max 25 download... which feels like a miracle when most they were getting for years was tween 5 to 10. He just got approved for Star link and is excited to finally get at least 75 tp 100 download :P I think the price dif is maybe fifty cux more a month
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
264 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
gogoblender wrote: Got a cuz out in Alexandria (rural) stuck with xplornet for years and hating every minute of it... finally got a company to install an antenna on top of his house for a few K and I think its 150 bux a month for max 25 download... which feels like a miracle when most they were getting for years was tween 5 to 10. He just got approved for Star link and is excited to finally get at least 75 tp 100 download :P I think the price dif is maybe fifty cux more a month
Ouch! I have a good friend that is an installer for Xplornet in the area. The stories he tells me… oy.

He refused to install it for me for years. My signal wasn’t good enough. There is/was a lot of bad and crooked installers out there. They would set it up any way they could just to get the pay for the install. Aim at the wrong tower just to get the activation and then repoint to a stop/sell tower to even driving down the road to get the signal to install!!!

I always suggest to anyone with issues to call and see if they can get a repoint at the very least. Second step is to harass your local government from sort council to MPs to get cracking. I’ve been at ours for 5+ years and things are finally coming to fruition. They were working closely with EORN and Rogers seemed to side step that with this latest run. Good luck!