Fido 10% rate increase 4 months into a 2 year deal

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 11:05 am
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
95 posts
27 upvotes

Fido 10% rate increase 4 months into a 2 year deal

So back in September I called Fido to ask for a better rate. I was told I had a very good deal and they couldn't possibly give me anything better. So I told them fine, I would be switching. So then suddenly offered me a 25% discount for 2 years. I was delighted and gladly accepted. Then 4 months later they announce on my January bill that my price will be increasing 10% in Feb. Because i was out of the country for Feb and March, I put my plan on suspension so I didn't realize they had increased my price until just recently.
I called to complain and they say there is nothing they can do, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. The wait to speak with a supervisor was hours so I told them to have someone call me.....I was told "their system doesn't allow this".
The amount of the increase is not that much and I still have a good price, but on principle I'm pissed. I realize that technically they did not freeze my price for 2 years, but what is the point of offering a discount for 2 years if they can simply change the base price to whatever they want? To add to this, at the same time of the discount, they offered me a second line and a free tablet with 4GB of data for 2 years totally free (and after 2 years I can cancel and keep the tablet). The only catch is I have to keep my primary line with them. If it weren't for this free tablet I would just walk away as I can get a better deal at Freedom, but I would like to keep the tablet.
Curious to see hear people's opinions on this.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1116 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes thats Rogers/Fido for you. The thing with these promotional discounts (25% off like yours) is they can change the base price whenever they want. It has always been the case, you were just unlucky to happen it so soon into the contract.

Also, without the actual cost of your plan, it is hard to figure out the deal you got. You may have a $100 plan or $50 plan, makes a huge difference. But since you also got a free tablet (its not clear if you also got the free tablet plan), so it doesn't seem that bad.

Also, I prefer Koodo as they don't have the history of increasing prices. My plan has remained at 40$ for more than one and a half years.
Koodo $40 10GB!
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
95 posts
27 upvotes
My plan is 5GB, unlimited T&T, was $37.50 (50 less 25%), they increased to $55 less 25% = $41.25. On top of that I have a second line on my free Samsung Tab A with 4GB data. The tablet is nice to have but I almost never use the data. I only use about 2GB of data on my primary line.
So ya the difference is peanuts, about $4/mo and its a good overall package, it just burns me on principle. In theory they could increase the price to $500 a month and if I tried to get out of it they could stick me with a penalty on the free tablet. Most likely I will suck it up but when my 24 months are up I will bid fido/rogers a permanent farewell.
If it weren't for the tablet, I would probably switch to freedoms $99/year plan since I could probably get away most months with just 1-2 GB of data.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5512 posts
1917 upvotes
GTEH!
Unfortunately, Fido is owned by Robbers. Neutral Face
😎
Apr 10, 2020
258 posts
982 upvotes
CraigB806782 wrote: So back in September I called Fido to ask for a better rate. I was told I had a very good deal and they couldn't possibly give me anything better. So I told them fine, I would be switching. So then suddenly offered me a 25% discount for 2 years. I was delighted and gladly accepted. Then 4 months later they announce on my January bill that my price will be increasing 10% in Feb. Because i was out of the country for Feb and March, I put my plan on suspension so I didn't realize they had increased my price until just recently.
I called to complain and they say there is nothing they can do, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. The wait to speak with a supervisor was hours so I told them to have someone call me.....I was told "their system doesn't allow this".
The amount of the increase is not that much and I still have a good price, but on principle I'm pissed. I realize that technically they did not freeze my price for 2 years, but what is the point of offering a discount for 2 years if they can simply change the base price to whatever they want? To add to this, at the same time of the discount, they offered me a second line and a free tablet with 4GB of data for 2 years totally free (and after 2 years I can cancel and keep the tablet). The only catch is I have to keep my primary line with them. If it weren't for this free tablet I would just walk away as I can get a better deal at Freedom, but I would like to keep the tablet.
Curious to see hear people's opinions on this.
This is why I'm so wary of changing to Fido. I was first happy to hear about their winback plan. $50 for 15GB of data sounds amazing, but who knows when they will pull the plug and start increasing the price? Sure, other carriers do the same, but not at the same rate as Rogers or Fido.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2168 posts
1302 upvotes
North Vancouver
How can a 10% increase be justified? I don't have a problem with companies making a profit, but a seemingly arbitrary increase of 10% in a fixed term contract is price gouging. If this was for a service that was month to month, i.e., no contract, then you have the option of saying no thank you, and then change service provider. But in a fixed term contract, you cannot leave without penalty and therefore a large price increase (that cannot be justified) is completely unfair.

When you are in a service contract and a price increase needs to be implemented, there ought to be justification provided otherwise they could apply any arbitrary figure. Further, the price increase should not be permitted to exceed the inflation rate or annual CPP for the preceding 12 months. Our society is extremely dependant on the use of cell phones and the Federal Government should step in and implement restrictions on service contract price increases to protect Canadians from getting screwed.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
95 posts
27 upvotes
Technically my primary line is month to month, but by giving me the tablet for a 2 year term and linking it to my primary line I can't really go anywhere without paying a penalty. So I am effectively locked in with both. By accepting the tablet I was agreeing to stay with them for 2 years and I think it was reasonable to assume that because they gave me the 25% discount for the same 2 year period that my rate would be fixed. I mean who in there right mind would agree to a 2 year commitment where the other party is free to raise the price at anytime.
I can't really leave now because the tablet penalty is about $15 per month vs the extra $5 they are charging me, but I will be done with Fido/Rogers on the day this contract is up.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
That's how they get ya. Get you to lock in another line on the same account, thereby forcing you to keep your primary account for the duration of the lock in period too. Sadly, the wireless code only protects the tablet line from price increases, on the primary line it's still month to month so they only have to give you 30 days notice.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
95 posts
27 upvotes
I eventually asked to see the terms of my contract, and despite being told several times that I would be penalized if I cancelled or ported out my primary account, there was nothing in the contract to indicate this. So only after I asked them for a reference in my contract did they admit that I could move my main account without adversely affecting by tablet plan.
So since my tablet is free for the next 16 months and has 4GB data, I will put the tablet sim card in my phone and then port my number over to freedom and get the $99/yr T&T plan. My phone has a dual slim slot, so I'll have a Freedom sim for T&T and a fido sim for data.