[Fido] 150 Home Internet for $50/month

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 10:27 am
[OP]
Jul 8, 2016
56 posts
77 upvotes

[Fido] 150 Home Internet for $50/month

We needed faster internet so I called Fido and this was the deal they gave me: $50/month for 150 download, 12 months, no contract. Modem shipped next day for me and technician sets up internet within 48 hours.

No gift card included but a good deal imo if you were looking for faster internet atm. No additional fees for modem rental, technician, or setup.
Last edited by Helloitsanthony on May 7th, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
Fido Home Internet uses Rogers cable network and is only available in Ontario
https://www.fido.ca/internet/packages

"Fido is owned and operated by Rogers Communications Inc."
https://www.fido.ca/terms
54 replies
Dec 5, 2016
353 posts
526 upvotes
Would anybody happen to know if I should be able to sign up for this with an activation date 2 months in advance? Going to be moving soon.
Sep 18, 2004
71 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't choose activation date with Fido - you sign up - they ship the modem - billing starts. Call Fido to double check but immediate sign up has been the only option before
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2086 posts
2677 upvotes
GTA
TouchMyBox wrote: Would anybody happen to know if I should be able to sign up for this with an activation date 2 months in advance? Going to be moving soon.
ShopAlong wrote: Can't choose activation date with Fido - you sign up - they ship the modem - billing starts. Call Fido to double check but immediate sign up has been the only option before
You can ask them to delay shipment, at least for a few days which is what I did for the last promo (“my other ISP’s contract expires next week”). Not sure about 2 months though; that seems unlikely.
May 15, 2008
114 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
TouchMyBox wrote: Would anybody happen to know if I should be able to sign up for this with an activation date 2 months in advance? Going to be moving soon.
I have a good feeling you can, call into the sales rep. I had my virgin mobile internet delayed for that reason as well.
Banned
Apr 24, 2021
57 posts
131 upvotes
Have it shipped to your old/new address? Then activate when you are actually there, that's when billing starts?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4830 posts
6063 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How is this a deal... I get you needed internet "now", but this is definitely not Hot Deal.
Penalty Box
Dec 12, 2020
55 posts
173 upvotes
Standard bait & switch. $50 is for 1 year (or less, if they feel like it). Price will then jump to current advertised price of $85/mo. Expect hidden fees, since its owned by Rogers.
Sep 16, 2010
894 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
We signed up for the 50% off deal a few months ago and got 150u for $42.50. I think that was a good deal and if you can wait for that again.
Dec 5, 2016
353 posts
526 upvotes
Thanks everyone, a chat rep confirmed that they won't delay activation. Hopefully they have a good promo in June. My area should be getting FTTH installed this time next year so getting something just to tide me over until then seems appealing.
Sep 5, 2011
12 posts
Ottawa
I am a Fido user. One thing I don't like is Fido does not offer access to CTV online program, even it belongs to Rogers.
Jan 7, 2007
159 posts
48 upvotes
benxhhe wrote: I am a Fido user. One thing I don't like is Fido does not offer access to CTV online program, even it belongs to Rogers.
Do you get access to CTV with Rogers? I thought you needed to be cable TV subscriber to get CTV?
Sep 4, 2010
51 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
Fido currently has a public deal (I always see the banner ad) for $45. Yes, it is only one year, but Fido is great with extending promos (unlike Rogers), and besides, you could always jump ship to another promo in a year if you needed to.

I recently signed up for $37.50 plus a $150 MasterCard gift card.

I usually get 300Mb/s on "real" speed tests, and never under 150, even during peak usage. Never an outage since last September, and I use network monitoring on several locations.
Jan 7, 2007
159 posts
48 upvotes
TanyaB50363 wrote: Standard bait & switch. $50 is for 1 year (or less, if they feel like it). Price will then jump to current advertised price of $85/mo. Expect hidden fees, since its owned by Rogers.
I haven’t seen any hidden fees. The price quoted was the price invoiced for that year.

Bell and Rogers are both using limited term discounts. I agree that it is not ideal, but I think you do end up paying less for that term. My understanding is that most of these contracts allow customer to switch to another provider at any time.

Is there a better option for average consumer right now?
Oct 8, 2008
198 posts
113 upvotes
Ontario
When I signed up they said they could post-date activation for me no problem, since I was moving in ~1 month. Then I got my first bill and they just charged me for the whole time anyway. Was able to argue my way out of some, but was fed the line "we don't post-date activation" quite a few times so.... good luck.

This said, no hidden fees for me, but it took them like 6 months and multiple complaints to send me the gift card I qualified for.
Penalty Box
Dec 12, 2020
55 posts
173 upvotes
Typical experiences...you forgot to mention the hold-time and never ending, button pushing menu. Tekksavy is cheaper and a human usually answers the phone! Uses Rogers network, but privately owned. Zero complaints after 5 years....
Jul 14, 2006
517 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
TanyaB50363 wrote: Typical experiences...you forgot to mention the hold-time and never ending, button pushing menu. Tekksavy is cheaper and a human usually answers the phone! Uses Rogers network, but privately owned. Zero complaints after 5 years....
If you have an actual deal from Teksavvy that can beat this, please share it.
I see 5mbps/1mbps cable @ $39.95/month
DSL6 (6mbps) for $45.95
Closest competitive plan is Cable 500 for $104.95/month.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3041 posts
3382 upvotes
TanyaB50363 wrote: Typical experiences...you forgot to mention the hold-time and never ending, button pushing menu. Tekksavy is cheaper and a human usually answers the phone! Uses Rogers network, but privately owned. Zero complaints after 5 years....
Teksavvy was good......like 15 years ago. Now all they do is issue regular memos blaming Bell and Rogers for their prices.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2086 posts
2677 upvotes
GTA
All these Fido (and Virgin) Internet offers are for 1 year. Used to be $32.50/37.50 for 50U/150U, but then regular prices rose, so 50% became $37.50/42.50 for 50U/150U. That includes the modem/gateway rental. Not sure why people think there are "hidden fees". Never seen any in multiple years.

Some of us are on our second year of this offer. First one about to end, new promo appears, sign up using spouse's name. Switch names each year, as you can't renew at half price on the same account. You get a new modem/gateway and then you cancel/send back the old one.
It's a tactic to get new subscribers, which is why it is only offered to people who are not already getting the service.

If you have FTTH, then you get other Rogers/Bell offers as they compete for subscribers with each other. Without Bell FTTH service in your area, you won't get any decent Rogers promos.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1586 posts
308 upvotes
Virgin internet was able to do it.. it was 30+ days for me on the recent 50%.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)