Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 1:58 pm
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2003
775 posts
162 upvotes
Just signed up via Chat for this deal. No questions asked re student ID. Asked if I could get the CODA modem and the CSR indicated the only modem available is the CGN3U. A little disappointed as the CODA has been rock solid with Rogers while the CGN3 (previously modem from Rogers) I had to return due to dropped 5gHz signals and the need to reboot on occasions.
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2006
926 posts
57 upvotes
So this deal is not available to everyone. I live in a brand new home and they said they'd have to send a tech to run a line but due to COVID-19 they are not allowed to send techs inside homes.

Has anyone gotten this response?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
2882 posts
840 upvotes
Ottawa
ids748 wrote: So this deal is not available to everyone. I live in a brand new home and they said they'd have to send a tech to run a line but due to COVID-19 they are not allowed to send techs inside homes.

Has anyone gotten this response?
Yup. Got that from 3 different agents.

Apparently Install Agents (dispatched from Customer Service dept) =/= Tech Agents (dispatched from the Technical Department)
And that even though there's already a coax wire from inside my house leading outside, they still would need to do work inside, so it's a no-go.
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2006
926 posts
57 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Yup. Got that from 3 different agents.

Apparently Install Agents (dispatched from Customer Service dept) =/= Tech Agents (dispatched from the Technical Department)
And that even though there's already a coax wire from inside my house leading outside, they still would need to do work inside, so it's a no-go.
This is why I'm forced to taking the "retention" deal from bell $79.99 Fibe 500 + $9.99 for Fibe ALT with Crave and Free "Bell Streamer" Android/Firestick clone device.

Overall I'm now saving 50$ as I missed my credits expiring in May. I'm content for now.
Newbie
Jul 21, 2020
13 posts
2 upvotes
I setup Fido and received my last bill from Rogers. I have an old grandfathered plan. I got $100 overage charge for 20GB and the bill is for cycle ending by end of September even I called to cancel and returned my Modem last week. Do you guys have any idea how to deal with Rogers?
Newbie
Sep 12, 2012
10 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
ids748 wrote: So this deal is not available to everyone. I live in a brand new home and they said they'd have to send a tech to run a line but due to COVID-19 they are not allowed to send techs inside homes.

Has anyone gotten this response?
I ordered the internet then realized I didn't have a coax outlet. I called them and they sent over a technician, no questions asked.

I think they're avoiding it but if you already received the modem, they would accomodate you.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1770 posts
937 upvotes
Cambridge
DC5R wrote: Just signed up via Chat for this deal. No questions asked re student ID. Asked if I could get the CODA modem and the CSR indicated the only modem available is the CGN3U. A little disappointed as the CODA has been rock solid with Rogers while the CGN3 (previously modem from Rogers) I had to return due to dropped 5gHz signals and the need to reboot on occasions.
...strange. I had them replace my old modem yesterday and they gave me the CODA-4582 Gigabit modem.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3128 posts
1474 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote: you can setup your router as an access point and extend his network into your home
Ok. In my router settings, I've chosen AP then Static IP. But now it wants IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server. I was expecting wifi name and password like my devices use. Where do I input that, or what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by beachlover on Sep 21st, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Dec 10, 2012
293 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
After a few days of use, overall seems to be okay for my use. Although I didn’t get lucky like some of the others here getting 300mbps (mostly getting 110mbps and can drop to 50mbps during peak times 8~9 pm) but at least my netflix is not lagging. Sadly my older router is not able to provide the best coverage through the wall/floor to upstairs so no more lying in bed browser for hours.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2005
954 posts
22 upvotes
chappanteekli wrote: @Repooc I got my modem today and I had hard time setting it up in the bridge mode. It's not as straight forward. When you login to 192.168.0.1 for the first time, it won't ask for any username and password. It will take you straight away to the easy setup page which basically shows you a check mark if your modem is getting signals from the service provider and on the next screen it asks you to setup Wireless settings. The mistake I made was that I didn't configure Wireless settings because I had my Airport Extreme that I wanted to use but since there was no other way to setup new modem in the bridge mode I felt completely lost. I then setup SSID and password on the Fido modem, saved settings, rebooted the modem and tried to open 192.168.0.1 again and voila I was asked for username and password. So in short, you must setup Wi-Fi on Fido in order to access admin page of modem. Another tip, your username is the default one which is written behind the modem but the password is now the one you setup for your SSID. It's not the default modem password. Once you login then just follow the instructions on the link provided by another poster (pasted again below) and you'll be all set.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... emode-cgn3

Just be patient after you apply settings. It took a while before modem came back online. I wish there were instructions included in the package. I wasted more than half an hour on all this. Very frustrating experience. I didn't have same challenge when I got Rogers modem a few years ago.

Good luck!
After going through all the steps, my modem restarted. 10 mins later, I am waiting and still no
wifi.

Any idea how long it takes for wifi to come back on?

Should I restart the modem or router?

Update: restarted modem and router and after about 5 mins, thw Wifi was back up
Sr. Member
May 8, 2004
975 posts
3 upvotes
ids748 wrote: This is why I'm forced to taking the "retention" deal from bell $79.99 Fibe 500 + $9.99 for Fibe ALT with Crave and Free "Bell Streamer" Android/Firestick clone device.

Overall I'm now saving 50$ as I missed my credits expiring in May. I'm content for now.
.

Your bell deal sounds amazing to me! Could a new customer get it? I’d love to have 500mbps down
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1289 posts
253 upvotes
moonlight20 wrote: I setup Fido and received my last bill from Rogers. I have an old grandfathered plan. I got $100 overage charge for 20GB and the bill is for cycle ending by end of September even I called to cancel and returned my Modem last week. Do you guys have any idea how to deal with Rogers?
Log in online through my Rogers do a live chat and you can cancel. They will mail you a label for Canada post and a box for you to mail back your modem
Jr. Member
Oct 10, 2009
140 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
tried signing up for this and they said because covid i cannot due to technician needing to visit my residence.

i currently have carrytel internet cable internet using rogers lines, why would the technician need to visit? should i not be able to simply swap out modems?

this was via Chat, should i try again and see what another rep says?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33928 posts
19770 upvotes
Ottawa
diycnc wrote: tried signing up for this and they said because covid i cannot due to technician needing to visit my residence.

i currently have carrytel internet cable internet using rogers lines, why would the technician need to visit? should i not be able to simply swap out modems?

this was via Chat, should i try again and see what another rep says?
Try again. Clueless Rep!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33928 posts
19770 upvotes
Ottawa
dairymandip wrote: Log in online through my Rogers do a live chat and you can cancel. They will mail you a label for Canada post and a box for you to mail back your modem
They will email you instructions to print a return label.
You will also need to find your own box.
That was the only option I had back in July.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

Nightfox, kahion