Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 10:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
PR0BLEMZ wrote: Might finally leave overpriced Bell for Fido, just have a few questions.
1. Will they send someone to my house to setup the internet or am I able to do it myself?
2. Is the modem they provide a modem/router combo?
3. This is plugged in via coax right? If so, do you guys recommend power line adapters to get connection to my main PC upstairs? The only coax port we have in the house is in the downstairs living room and the basement. Our main PC is in the upstairs bedroom and does not have wifi capabilities.

1. Will they send someone to my house to setup the internet or am I able to do it myself?
no, they just send you the modem for you to plug it in yourself

yes, it's a combo device, wifi not the greatest from it tho for range

3. This is plugged in via coax right? If so, do you guys recommend power line adapters to get connection to my main PC upstairs? The only coax port we have in the house is in the downstairs living room and the basement. Our main PC is in the upstairs bedroom and does not have wifi capabilities.
That's correct, it uses an existing coax connection(if you had roger service in the pass and nobody had cut it between that end to the street lvl roger box you'll be fine), powerline adapter is not really worth it(stability issue, also you get a drop in performance), unless you already have the powerline adapter already to test, it would likely be a safer bet to just buy a USB wifi adapter for your PC for $10-$20.
Signature removed due to rule violation
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2009
1917 posts
532 upvotes
Mississauga
Brewmeanie wrote: 1. Will they send someone to my house to setup the internet or am I able to do it myself?
no, they just send you the modem for you to plug it in yourself

yes, it's a combo device, wifi not the greatest from it tho for range

That's correct, it uses an existing coax connection(if you had roger service in the pass and nobody had cut it between that end to the street lvl roger box you'll be fine), powerline adapter is not really worth it(stability issue, also you get a drop in performance), unless you already have the powerline adapter already to test, it would likely be a safer bet to just buy a USB wifi adapter for your PC for $10-$20.
Thanks for the informative reply! Appreciate it!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
Bell Rep wrote: There's no contract so I would assume you can just cancel after you get the gift card making it essentially free service for 3 months.
I suspect there might be something buried in the terms and conditions fine print that allows them to claw back the gift card amount ( add to final bill? ) These are original cell phone companies, that did this with gift card promos that were offered with cellphones.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2013
1685 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone signed up for a new internet account while already having an internet account with fido?

For the same name/address?
Nov 29, 2013
667 posts
1025 upvotes
TORONTO
brensavoyton wrote: Has anyone signed up for a new internet account while already having an internet account with fido?

For the same name/address?
same address will work. Same person will not. It has to be a new customer for the promo to apply.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
PR0BLEMZ wrote: Thanks for the informative reply! Appreciate it!
For 3,

Here's what are what options I would explore, since there are a lot of uncertainty related to the wifi from the fido provided router/modem device, just to see how it goes.

- Test your power line adapter kit, sound like you already got it, and test its performance, if it's stable and speed is nto terribad... you know what, go with it since you could live with it
- If you're not satisfied with the powerline, grab a cheap $10-$20 USb dual band wifi adapter(https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=136628) and see how that perform, also it never hurt to have that USB wifi adapter for your PC since you could tether to your own cellphone data if crap happen to your land line internet
- if both the power line and the included wifi are crap, you can always just get your own router that could provide a stronger signal and use that, switch the modem to bridge mode and fire that up to send wifi signal to the 2nd floor
- last option is probably the most expensive but also the one that guarentee to be the best result, and it's to run an Ethernet from PC to to your living room/basement or run a coax cable up to where your PC is at
Jun 25, 2010
468 posts
94 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Existing customer. Promo for 50% off 150U at $75/mo (so $33.50+tax monthly after promo) expiring this month. Called them, and they advised that they would continue the 50% promo for 12 months - easily offered by the rep. Got the email confirmation and it says $25 off each month for 12 months. Tried calling them back but they're closed now.
Feb 4, 2018
207 posts
179 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: - last option is probably the most expensive but also the one that guarentee to be the best result, and it's to run an Ethernet from PC to to your living room/basement or run a coax cable up to where your PC is at
It's actually surprisingly cheap to do this while ensuring the best possible results if you have the option of hiding the cable properly. Bought 250 feet bulk cat5e for 35 bucks and a crimp tool kit with 100 RJ45 connectors for 20. I ran a 75 foot ethernet a few weeks ago for about 60 bucks and lots of cable to spare. I replaced 2 older 6 feet ethernet cables where the clicky bits were broken so they would occasionally stop working.
I probably don't need to buy another ethernet cable for 10 years.
Oct 8, 2016
59 posts
32 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just chatted online and was offered the 150 for 45$ straight away. Didn't ask for student ID or anything. I asked about the gift card mentioned on their website and they said it was included too (will be emailed and you have to have your account active for at least 30days(?) which seems short to me to qualify. We shall see what happens). Processed everything to set up a new account (I had fido home internet a couple years ago and switched to virgin, so they opened a brand new account for me :) )
Thanks again.
Nov 23, 2017
811 posts
549 upvotes
Do they start charging for the service when their modem arrives to your door or when you install it and get it running?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2313 posts
3013 upvotes
IOwnAndPwnU wrote: Existing customer. Promo for 50% off 150U at $75/mo (so $33.50+tax monthly after promo) expiring this month. Called them, and they advised that they would continue the 50% promo for 12 months - easily offered by the rep. Got the email confirmation and it says $25 off each month for 12 months. Tried calling them back but they're closed now.
same, 25 off.

Was told to go to store to cancel and reactivate
-------------------
Rogers mobile + internet
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
aghuman01 wrote: It's actually surprisingly cheap to do this while ensuring the best possible results if you have the option of hiding the cable properly. Bought 250 feet bulk cat5e for 35 bucks and a crimp tool kit with 100 RJ45 connectors for 20. I ran a 75 foot ethernet a few weeks ago for about 60 bucks and lots of cable to spare. I replaced 2 older 6 feet ethernet cables where the clicky bits were broken so they would occasionally stop working.
I probably don't need to buy another ethernet cable for 10 years.
True, It's cheap to do if you know how to do it, as well as having the access(to go behind wall), material and equipment for it
but not everybody knows how to run cables behind wall, nor everyone could just go behind the wall as they wish to do the job. If you have to get approval from a landlord, or need to hire someone to do it, it could get pricey.

Ph7nam wrote: Do they start charging for the service when their modem arrives to your door or when you install it and get it running?
I just chatted with them on this, was told that they start service the day you order, not the day it arrive/install n get it going
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
2036 posts
462 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: True, It's cheap to do if you know how to do it, as well as having the access(to go behind wall), material and equipment for it
but not everybody knows how to run cables behind wall, nor everyone could just go behind the wall as they wish to do the job. If you have to get approval from a landlord, or need to hire someone to do it, it could get pricey.

I just chatted with them on this, was told that they start service the day you order, not the day it arrive/install n get it going
They told me billing starts from the day the modem is shipped. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
May wrote: It seems like Fido Supply two different types of Modem

1) Hitron 4582U

2) Hitron CGN3U
Which one is better? Have more channel?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Nov 23, 2017
811 posts
549 upvotes
fq007 wrote: They told me billing starts from the day the modem is shipped. :)
Dang
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if this home phone will work with VOIP.ms and if the setup is similar to companies like Start.ca or Teksavvy?
Dec 28, 2015
126 posts
40 upvotes
North York, ON
I have ordered thru chat and forgot to ask, if there are any activation fees. Did anybody ask if live chat means "online activation" and activation fees are waived?
Dec 14, 2012
639 posts
840 upvotes
Ottawa
Just called and got 150u for $45 without requiring astdent id. Thanks op!
Sep 5, 2020
20 posts
15 upvotes
I'm desperate to get the 9GB for $40/month for 12 months some people have mentioned, but have had no luck after 3 tries with chat (I did easily get the internet deal).

First guy straight up just said there was no $10/month discount.
Second person said the promo DID exist but it ended September 2nd. She offered me the discount to any of the non +5GB deals (i.e. the same plans for the same price but without the +5GB. So 9GB=4GB).
Third person I even mentioned this thread because I was getting desperate. The agent claimed to look at the post but then ultimately said that the post was false info and they can't do anything. They offered me the discount to total out to 1GB = $35/month, 6GB = $45/month and I believe it was something like 10GB for $55/month.

So 3 different answers from 3 different chat agents. I might try the phone but I'm pretty sure it was closed as of me writing this post.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)