Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 2:43 pm
Aug 5, 2011
404 posts
141 upvotes
This is a screenshot taken from FB marketplace showing the unlimited 500mbps from Rogers.

Any way to tell whether or not this is legitimate?

The seller requires 2 forms of government issued IDs to sign up for it.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.43.10 PM.png
Feb 2, 2020
24 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
FYI Fido unlimited internet 150mbps $45 + 150 prepaid gift card still available - just got at Vaughan mills kiosk - took their last modem atm. Also Markville but no more modems. Maybe other kiosks or stores have.
Also they have a $40 for 75 mbps but not sure how much prepaid card.
Images
  • image.jpg
Nov 23, 2017
274 posts
110 upvotes
ArchEnemy wrote: This is a screenshot taken from FB marketplace showing the unlimited 500mbps from Rogers.

Any way to tell whether or not this is legitimate?

The seller requires 2 forms of government issued IDs to sign up for it.
I have seen such ads on Kijiji, I can't really say if they are authentic because I never tried (it was too sketchy for me to bite). Were you with Rogers beforehand? Do you have their winback number? If so, you could try calling and then quote this deal to them to see if they can offer it. Just don't mention you found it on fb marketplace, say that a friend/relative got it.

Edit: New construction promotion might be referring to new neighborhood area, those rates are offered based on the competition in that area. I think what this person is doing is transferring their current plan. You could ask that person to confirm. If that's the case, the deal might be worth trying if Rogers can transfer ownership of that plan to you.
Aug 5, 2011
404 posts
141 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: I have seen such ads on Kijiji, I can't really say if they are authentic because I never tried (it was too sketchy for me to bite). Were you with Rogers beforehand? Do you have their winback number? If so, you could try calling and then quote this deal to them to see if they can offer it. Just don't mention you found it on fb marketplace, say that a friend/relative got it.

Edit: New construction promotion might be referring to new neighborhood area, those rates are offered based on the competition in that area. I think what this person is doing is transferring their current plan. You could ask that person to confirm. If that's the case, the deal might be worth trying if Rogers can transfer ownership of that plan to you.
Thanks for your response. The person informs me that they are an independent sales representative for home internet. So they are not transferring their current plan to me, but rather setting up a new account/line.
Nov 23, 2017
274 posts
110 upvotes
ArchEnemy wrote: Thanks for your response. The person informs me that they are an independent sales representative for home internet. So they are not transferring their current plan to me, but rather setting up a new account/line.
Oh, I see... perhaps it might be best to ask around in the ongoing deals thread for Rogers to see if anyone else knows about this. If whoever is selling this plan on fb is working for Rogers as a contractor, it might add some legitimacy because that thread is loaded with posters asking for a field rep to contact them with special deals.
Aug 5, 2011
404 posts
141 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: Oh, I see... perhaps it might be best to ask around in the ongoing deals thread for Rogers to see if anyone else knows about this. If whoever is selling this plan on fb is working for Rogers as a contractor, it might add some legitimacy because that thread is loaded with posters asking for a field rep to contact them with special deals.
Thanks for your help!
Aug 5, 2011
404 posts
141 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote: Can i activate and use my own modem? I have my own TPLINK modem that works OK with Carrytel (rogers TPIA).
Were you able to sign up with Fido? My parents' home is in a similar situation as yours.

I just tried signing up for Fido, and the Fido representative told me that my parents' internet is TPIA, and therefore they do not service their address.
Dec 27, 2012
156 posts
88 upvotes
Bowmanville
After trying everything on my end I was unable to get higher than 100mbps so I talked to chat the other day and they said that everything was good on their end, my modem must be defective. They told me to replace it (it was the white one that everyone seems to like) so I took it to the store today and got the black one everyone seems to say is bad. Did I just get screwed?
Sep 10, 2011
10 posts
3 upvotes
BRAMPTON
davidj8580 wrote: After trying everything on my end I was unable to get higher than 100mbps so I talked to chat the other day and they said that everything was good on their end, my modem must be defective. They told me to replace it (it was the white one that everyone seems to like) so I took it to the store today and got the black one everyone seems to say is bad. Did I just get screwed?
I have the black modem and my speeds are at best 125/16 on tests I paid for the 150/15 service. This is coming from a household that always was Rogers best tier packages for the last 15 years. Debating calling in to troubleshoot.
Dec 27, 2012
156 posts
88 upvotes
Bowmanville
pardeep88 wrote: I have the black modem and my speeds are at best 125/16 on tests I paid for the 150/15 service. This is coming from a household that always was Rogers best tier packages for the last 15 years. Debating calling in to troubleshoot.
I guess my service tech was right. I did the speedtest just now on my computer and it is 296mbps after more than a month of being stuck sub 100mbps on the other modem.
Apr 17, 2016
322 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
As others mentioned, if you have not got the gift card within 6 weeks of activation, call in. Apparently, there was something they had to do when activating and it seems like they didn't do it for many.

They had to do an escalation on my account for me to receive the gift card, could take up to four more weeks.
Apr 12, 2020
22 posts
9 upvotes
According to the escalation team, they're experiencing "delays in processing registrations". Those who activated in September can expect to wait at least another 3 weeks.
Dec 20, 2007
22 posts
13 upvotes
Can confirm that I phoned in and without even asking was offered the 150/15 for $45 for one year plus gift card. Modem is being mailed out. I think gift card is $50. Just happy with the reasonable price for the internet.
Oct 15, 2017
422 posts
295 upvotes
Canada
gfnstew wrote: As others mentioned, if you have not got the gift card within 6 weeks of activation, call in. Apparently, there was something they had to do when activating and it seems like they didn't do it for many.

They had to do an escalation on my account for me to receive the gift card, could take up to four more weeks.
+1000 call or chat with Fido at 6 weeks (if earlier they'll say wait, it hasn't been six weeks yet). Then at 6 weeks, they'll say there's an issue and it's being escalated.

Seems to be their standard response. Expect another couple of weeks wait. Unless by some miracle the first rep registered everything correctly 6 weeks earlier when you signed up.

I can see some people won't bother contacting Fido (non-RFD'ers) and will wait patiently for the gift card that most like won't arrive.
Jun 19, 2007
94 posts
159 upvotes
Can confirm this is still going on, Scarborough Town Centre booth is giving 150 down for $45 for a year with a $150 e-gift card. However the black modem, will have to reach out Fido later to exchange the modem

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

mc1212