Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5280 posts
1064 upvotes
I ordered on Monday and still haven't received a shipping notification. I am getting impatient thinking of asking them to change it from delivery to pickup for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4042 posts
665 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to OP and everyone else who provided info.

I was able to get this deal through Chat this morning. I connected and simply asked for it. The whole process was very fast.

I am coming from Carrytel, with whom service was fine, but this deal is way more bang for the buck.

Now to see if it makes sense to switch my cell phone over.
Feb 14, 2019
894 posts
862 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: On October 19 of this year, Rogers is increasing the price of its ignite bundle by $6/month, for those with just internet it will be a $3/month increase apparently. It appears that current longtime customers have received an email of this price increase affecting their account. It remains to be seen for new customers signing up this month that they will also be affected by this price increase at the same or later date... Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on that.

All in all, I wouldn't count on tier 1 ISPs to not increase their prices at some point during a contract/discount period for current/longtime customers that don't switch after a year. New customers, I'm not so sure.

Sources:

Reddit - $3/month increase to internet
Mobile syrup - $6/month increase to bundle services
I'm currently with Fido, but previously when i was with Rogers I signed up just before a price increase was about to happen. I confirmed at the time with the agent that it didn't apply to customers just signing up, only for existing accounts. That was a couple years ago but I would think it's the same. It would imagine that customers wouldn't be too happy if they signed up and had a price increase a few weeks later.
Mar 12, 2016
708 posts
913 upvotes
AlexJosh wrote: Modem shipped, a Hitron CODA4582U, so the same gigabit modem from Rogers
Ayy lucky you
Aug 27, 2006
191 posts
10 upvotes
Cambridge
Be sure to call the FIDO store in your area for stock. I tried 4 stores and no stock in KW area.
Just an FYI.....
mystery wrote: I ordered on Monday and still haven't received a shipping notification. I am getting impatient thinking of asking them to change it from delivery to pickup for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2729 posts
1010 upvotes
Markham
UWOD2020 wrote: Ayy lucky you
Hmm my experience is always this modem, even when I used Fido 75m for a brief period 2 years ago
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Apr 26, 2019
36 posts
4 upvotes
Just got email that they're processing my order for wireless, says I should receive in up to 5 business days, however considering it's a port from Freedom to keep my current number it shows the wrong number, the number it's processing for is (XXX) XXX‑7813 with customer contact number being (XXX) XXX‑1111, should be (XXX) XXX‑9369 if it's keeping my current number.
Feb 20, 2015
26 posts
63 upvotes
Markham, ON
Tony98 wrote: If I were you I would change to Fido in order to save $150.
Yup! I figure I might as well save $5 a month since I m paying $37 a month now with Rogers and I won't be getting that price renewed.
Feb 20, 2015
26 posts
63 upvotes
Markham, ON
Majokito wrote: +$150 GC which offsets the monthly price by $12.50.
Yea, I figure I don't need that 300u speed and paying $45 vs. Fido 150u speed but $45 - $12.50 = $32.50 which technically I save $5 a month for a lower speed and second tier ISP. I will post here if I regret my decision after my service with Fido started
Feb 20, 2015
26 posts
63 upvotes
Markham, ON
Majokito wrote: Unless you need the extra speed, might as well save a few bucks. You ARE posting on RFD after all. :)
TBH, I am just cheap Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jan 22, 2019
33 posts
13 upvotes
Just signed up for this today. After two Carrytel price increases I was seriously considering <shudder> Cannet until I saw this thread. Easy as pie to sign-up through online chat.

Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1268 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Majokito wrote: Yeah, Bell/Virgin have the same limits here so Rogers/Fido kind of have us by the b*lls.

You could possibly run it up the outside of your house and into the attic. Once in the attic it's a bit easier to reach other rooms of the house.
so I ordered the deal at 1030 using chat, no issues with student ID etc he was extremely helpful. Asked the chat rep i'm not sure if the line is working, and he promptly said he'll send a technician out after the order is placed. Anyways i figured i'd give it a go and he said worst case scenario, the service doesn't work you can cancel... and just pay prorated 5 bucks in the WORST case. He also jokingly said, "keep the service for 45 days, get the gift card and then cancel" lol.

Anyways i kid you not, the rogers technician came within 15 minutes of me ending the chat. It was a bit scary actually.
I found the line going into my house from the outside, so all he had to do was check the connection from the box to my house. Just my luck it was severed and I now am the brand new recipient of a black cable hanging over 3 trees & 1 driveway into my house.

The rep was from INTEK, and he said he'll log the hanging cable for burying (creating at ticket). He promised me it would be 4-6 weeks or so and someone would come bury it. He seemed like a very stand up guy and also let me take his device into my utility room to check if i had the right cable going into the house. Also happily offered and gave me an extra 15 ft or so coaxial cable wire with ends in order to move my connection out of the utility room. Overall I trust him (and hope) to log the ticket which I assume is one reason some ppl don't get their cables buried. He said I can check out rogers outdoor cable website to check on the status later too.

Anyways overall I'm happy with how fast they came and took care of this. Now to wait to see if i get a good router/modem or not. Also hoping the speeds are much better than my 50/mbs with bell.
Last edited by kid_icarus on Sep 9th, 2020 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 12, 2003
649 posts
242 upvotes
georvu wrote: Thanks!!

What upload speeds are you experiencing and is it Coda 4582 router [same as Rogers]?

OT

Doing likewise or similar with Rogers:

One port to Router A that provides wifi to guests, cameras, wifi plugs, tstat. Then Router B attached via ethernet to Router A. Router B provides wifi to our phones, gaming consoles, tablets. Yes, double NAT but working fine for us. Set up this way so Router B can see Router A but not vice versa [at least that is intention, not expert].

Second port to Router C [old wireless N router] that used only for hard wire ethernet to computer used for financial transactions.

With your second port to wife's computer... is that not missing basic router fw protection or does combo Fido modem/router still provide that in bridge mode?
With your second port to wife's computer... is that not missing basic router fw protection or does combo Fido modem/router still provide that in bridge mode?

----Yup! but thats her works issue :), Ive tried everything under the sun to make it work but it wont tunnel through - my service has been rock solid for the last 5 years, My upload is 16Mbps,sustain DL @ 180ish. - speedbost kicks it to 300 on a speedtest (artifically increasing their results for samknows).

But hey lots of people are going to say they are getting 300 all the time, Im probably clueless, I just work for an ISP ;)
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4753 posts
1108 upvotes
Abbottabad
Anybody who received the crappy modem successfully switch to the better rogers one?

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

Saicho