Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 2:43 pm
Feb 14, 2019
979 posts
952 upvotes
calvk79 wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, even though they shipped the modem, Fido has not started the service yet, so they cannot technicall charge us. I think we have about 30 days to start the service and 45 days to register the account on Fido. Here is the rules in my chat transcript:
For activating your $45 150 mbps unlimited package today, you’ll get a choice to receive a $150 Amazon gift card or $150 Walmart gift card.
You have 30 days to install your services. If you don’t install your services within 30 days, you’ll no longer be eligible for this promotion.
Up to 6 weeks after your installation, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to register for your gift card. You’ll be able to select which $150 gift card you would like to receive. You will also be able to choose to receive either a physical or electronic gift card.
You’ll have 45 days from the day you receive the email to do the registration. If you don’t register within 45 days, you’ll no longer be eligible for this promotion.
Just searched through my emails from last year. I ordered Fido Sept 4. According to my bill for that month, I was charged starting Sept 5th. I can't find an email with reference to my modem shipping, but I'm assuming that it was shipped the next day and I was billed. I may have gone to the store to pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I just had it shipped.

Maybe it's different now and it starts billing the first day it sees activity on your modem.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1405 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
MrBigNose wrote: No.
I was told that there would be notification for the technician to do the cable change/burial. But they never notified me and I didn't know when they did that :)
yeah, i guess that's my dilemma which i kept asking the technician about. i mentioned some ppl have it hanging around for months. he said it's probably cuz their tech didn't log the ticket for burial. he assured me he would have it done once he was completed and told me to check the website in a day or two.
he explained where they'll likely bury the cable etc etc.

hopefully he was right, because looking at the website, it says they are only guaranteed burials for jobs booked/logged up to june 30th.
Feb 20, 2015
27 posts
66 upvotes
Markham, ON
Majokito wrote: Just searched through my emails from last year. I ordered Fido Sept 4. According to my bill for that month, I was charged starting Sept 5th. I can't find an email with reference to my modem shipping, but I'm assuming that it was shipped the next day and I was billed. I may have gone to the store to pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I just had it shipped.

Maybe it's different now and it starts billing the first day it sees activity on your modem.
I am pretty sure two ISP cannot charge you at the same time
Jun 15, 2018
330 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
slade wrote: Sounds like your ethernet ports are only 100Mbps possibly?
I think you're right - looks like my router's ethernet port is 10/100, not 10/100/1000. Gonna go buy a gigabit router to see if it works, thank you!
Mar 20, 2006
39 posts
19 upvotes
calvk79 wrote: I am pretty sure two ISP cannot charge you at the same time
Why not. You can connect two modems at the same time.
Feb 14, 2019
979 posts
952 upvotes
calvk79 wrote: I am pretty sure two ISP cannot charge you at the same time
Of course they can if you have two active services. I plugged in my Fido modem when I had Rogers to make sure it worked. Once I confirmed, THEN I cancelled Rogers so I wouldn't be without service. I only overlapped the one day with two ISPs.
Dec 4, 2011
288 posts
108 upvotes
Guelph
Long-time Robbers customer. Gigabit&TV promo just expired and was jacked from $129 -> $280. LOL :'o
"Best offer" Rogers had was renewal at $170 so I cancelled my cable and dropped internet to 150u for $85 with cancellation scheduled for next Monday. Seemed like they could care less, even when I mentioned this Fido price.

I am seriously considering this Fido deal, but I reached out to Virgin via chat to enquire if they could match Fido internet (since that would leave me the service option of adding TV back later if I want).

Virgin said they would knock $25/m off their $70/100u plan for 12 months (=$45/m) and give me the $150 new customer credit in the 3rd month.

Granted it's only 100u (vs 150u with Fido), but same $45 price. Just wanted to put that out there in case anyone is interested. YMMV of course as I'm not seeing this on their website. This was for Guelph. Rep didn't say anything about being a student.
Aug 24, 2007
102 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for the post OP! I called Distributel and gave them the details; they offered to match it. I ended up getting 75 mb w/ modem rental for $35/mo.
Mar 16, 2019
9 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks for the details. Grabbed the 75u for $65 last month.

Tried to get them to match this but they pulled the student card. Had to get the partner to call a store and create a new account.

For a savings of $340 including the gift card and double the speed over a year, I'll gladly play their silly games.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6115 posts
2583 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
slade wrote: With your second port to wife's computer... is that not missing basic router fw protection or does combo Fido modem/router still provide that in bridge mode?

----Yup! but thats her works issue :), Ive tried everything under the sun to make it work but it wont tunnel through - my service has been rock solid for the last 5 years, My upload is 16Mbps,sustain DL @ 180ish. - speedbost kicks it to 300 on a speedtest (artifically increasing their results for samknows).

But hey lots of people are going to say they are getting 300 all the time, Im probably clueless, I just work for an ISP ;)
Thanks.

Yeah, work needs to figure themselves :) guess vpn does it perhaps?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Nov 22, 2012
36 posts
20 upvotes
EAST YORK
Thanks OP!
Signed up for 150mb via chat. No questions re. student number - I just said 'I heard there's a promotion' and agent provided all the details.

Looking forward to calling into Carrytel to cancel my 75mb which is going up to $45 thanks to second price increase in six months.
Aug 20, 2020
19 posts
3 upvotes
Got the cgn3u modem :(. My current router is a netgear wndr4300 (also, only an N router). Which do you think will be better for wifi—using the modem/router or use my own router?
Mar 30, 2018
554 posts
490 upvotes
I tried twice with Virgin but couldn't get any offer
AnnV11 wrote: Long-time Robbers customer. Gigabit&TV promo just expired and was jacked from $129 -> $280. LOL :'o
"Best offer" Rogers had was renewal at $170 so I cancelled my cable and dropped internet to 150u for $85 with cancellation scheduled for next Monday. Seemed like they could care less, even when I mentioned this Fido price.

I am seriously considering this Fido deal, but I reached out to Virgin via chat to enquire if they could match Fido internet (since that would leave me the service option of adding TV back later if I want).

Virgin said they would knock $25/m off their $70/100u plan for 12 months (=$45/m) and give me the $150 new customer credit in the 3rd month.

Granted it's only 100u (vs 150u with Fido), but same $45 price. Just wanted to put that out there in case anyone is interested. YMMV of course as I'm not seeing this on their website. This was for Guelph. Rep didn't say anything about being a student.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34537 posts
20583 upvotes
Center of Universe
CaptainPro wrote: Got the cgn3u modem :(. My current router is a netgear wndr4300 (also, only an N router). Which do you think will be better for wifi—using the modem/router or use my own router?
Even though your router is a wireless N, it should still outperform the crappy modem/router combo.
As you connect more devices to the modem/router, you will see performance degradation.
Mar 8, 2015
63 posts
41 upvotes
North York, ON
Hi, what's the cleanest way to switch ISPs? Should I wait for my Fido modem to arrive before telling current ISP to cancel?
I'm just concerned Rogers may cut off both (old and new) - never know with these guys...