Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2021 4:49 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4005 posts
1044 upvotes
martychan1985 wrote: Has anyone kept their existing Rogers service while testing out Fido's service? Agent is telling me I need a technician to hook up the Fido line as it is cold. Given its the same line as Rogers, I figure the line is already hot. I don't want them coming and shutting off Rogers.
i did exactly this - got my modem today and haven't tested it yet
but here's hoping it doesn't need to be switched / activated and that i can plug and play
Ebay - 267 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0
Grailed - 86 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
Nov 23, 2017
348 posts
141 upvotes
martychan1985 wrote: Has anyone kept their existing Rogers service while testing out Fido's service? Agent is telling me I need a technician to hook up the Fido line as it is cold. Given its the same line as Rogers, I figure the line is already hot. I don't want them coming and shutting off Rogers.
I am doing that right now, have an active Rogers line and testing my Fido modem with it. It works but the Fido modem I got is terrible, it is scratched up and clearly used. I can't even log into the modem with the default cusadmin password thing after 3 factory resets... and yes I kept the reset button pressed for 20 seconds for each reset *sigh*
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1019 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Serious question, I see a lot of people complaining about the modem/router combo that Fido send. Why not invest a hundred dollars into a dedicated router that will do everything better than the Fido one. It can be kept and used regardless of provider?
Aug 22, 2020
26 posts
79 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: I got my modem hooked up and holy crap, I can't get decent wifi signal a room away from this modem... and that's less than 20 ft away! I heard that CGN3U was bad but I did not think it would be this BAD. Either I got a lemon or I'm gonna have to cancel cause this ain't worth buying a mesh wifi for. Wired speed is fine so far.
Have you tried switching to the 2.4ghz wifi? It should have better range then the 5ghz band.
Alternatively, most stand alone routers will have better wifi then the modem based ones. You don't necessarily need a full mesh. Just a ~60$ one or so.

On a side note, I got a Rogers retention email 1 day after setting a cancellation date, and they offered my 300u/45$ for a year, but decided to switch so I could get the gift card which would push the fido price to <35$ a month if you average it over a year.
Could be something you guys can try to do.
Nov 23, 2017
348 posts
141 upvotes
Encoder0 wrote: Have you tried switching to the 2.4ghz wifi? It should have better range then the 5ghz band.
Alternatively, most stand alone routers will have better wifi then the modem based ones. You don't necessarily need a full mesh. Just a ~60$ one or so.
All of my devices are on 2.4 ghz, 5 ghz is not even detectable LOL. I am sure this modem they gave me is cursed, it is scratched up and I haven't been able to log into the modem with the default cusadmin password even after 3 resets...
Aug 20, 2020
31 posts
10 upvotes
For those that got the cgn3u modem, I went threw great hassle to exchange it for the white coda modem. Just plugged in the new coda modem and wifi across the house is about the same. So, not worth the hassle—at least for my environment.

Note: the white coda modem does not allow you to set separate ssid for the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. Unless I am in the same room, my devices go on the 2.4 gHz bands.

Now I have to go through hassle of shipping the old modem back.
Apr 12, 2020
25 posts
12 upvotes
BeerBro wrote: just got the CODA-4582U today as well, but after plugging in the power and coax cable, only the 'power' symbol lights up, nothing else. What am I missing here?
Same situation happened to me 2 days ago, you probably received a dud. The one I received had a damaged coaxial port. Ended up having to call technical support for a replacement after checking all the local stores for stock, which was a complete waste of time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35229 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
CaptainPro wrote: For those that got the cgn3u modem, I went threw great hassle to exchange it for the white coda modem. Just plugged in the new coda modem and wifi across the house is about the same. So, not worth the hassle—at least for my environment.

Note: the white coda modem does not allow you to set separate ssid for the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. Unless I am in the same room, my devices go on the 2.4 gHz bands.

Now I have to go through hassle of shipping the old modem back.
The white coda modem should allow two separate ssid for 2.4 and 5.
I was able to separate them when I had gigabit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35229 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
ahumanbeing wrote: Serious question, I see a lot of people complaining about the modem/router combo that Fido send. Why not invest a hundred dollars into a dedicated router that will do everything better than the Fido one. It can be kept and used regardless of provider?
They're not getting it...
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1102 posts
1083 upvotes
You can have both active at the same time. I previously had Rogers and waited until my Fido modem was set up and working fine before cancelling.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1102 posts
1083 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: The white coda modem should allow two separate ssid for 2.4 and 5.
I was able to separate them when I had gigabit.
Unless the firmware has changed, you can definitely set up different SSIDs for each band. I've done it.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1102 posts
1083 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: Ive tested one a few devices, including hard wired to laptop.

they all start at 150mb but 1 second later drop and complete at 77-124.

thats not normal right?
Try at different times of day. I find the speed is lower in the evenings with everyone home and streaming. My speed during the day hits 300 every time.
Aug 20, 2020
31 posts
10 upvotes
Majokito wrote: Unless the firmware has changed, you can definitely set up different SSIDs for each band. I've done it.
You are correct. Had to turn off band steering. Now i can get 100 mbps on my ac devices on 5ghz band vs 40 mbps on 2.4 ghz across the house.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1070 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Can i activate and use my own modem? I have my own TPLINK modem that works OK with Carrytel (rogers TPIA).
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1102 posts
1083 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote: Can i activate and use my own modem? I have my own TPLINK modem that works OK with Carrytel (rogers TPIA).
Nope, pretty sure Fido only allows their own modems.
Jan 29, 2003
249 posts
24 upvotes
Received the coda. Anyone know why when I change the ssid name for 2.4G it changes to same name for 5g ssid and vice versa? All I see is one ssid when connecting with my devices, dont know if its 2.4g or 5g connection. Or does it auto switches? My router lets me set two different ssid's so I know which is which.
Aug 20, 2020
31 posts
10 upvotes
kooblu wrote: Received the coda. Anyone know why when I change the ssid name for 2.4G it changes to same name for 5g ssid and vice versa? All I see is one ssid when connecting with my devices, dont know if its 2.4g or 5g connection. Or does it auto switches? My router lets me set two different ssid's so I know which is which.
See few posts up. You have to turn off band steering to have separate ssids.
Aug 28, 2004
38 posts
10 upvotes
discostupid wrote: already had 75u internet
wasn't able to get 150u but was at least able to get $25 off for 12 months

maybe i can find a 500u deal from rogers at some point
I originally called and got an agent that played dump and didn't offer me any deals except for $20 off my current 75u plan.
I did chat instead and asked for the 150u plan, they didn't have any problems offering me it. I then told them I had an account already (75u). The agent said he'd try to do it and was able to create a new account for me.
Mar 15, 2019
773 posts
904 upvotes
Yundesa wrote: I originally called and got an agent that played dump and didn't offer me any deals except for $20 off my current 75u plan.
I did chat instead and asked for the 150u plan, they didn't have any problems offering me it. I then told them I had an account already (75u). The agent said he'd try to do it and was able to create a new account for me.
a new account before you cancel your existing account???? when does it activate ?
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1379 posts
306 upvotes
Just to confirm you have to be a student to get this deal? My wife is taking part time class at Humber ... does that count?