Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 12:48 am
Jun 26, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
Bamelin wrote: Just to confirm you have to be a student to get this deal? My wife is taking part time class at Humber ... does that count?
I went through chat today and they never asked for any Student ID so I would recommend that route. It seems to work for most.
Oct 4, 2009
45 posts
22 upvotes
By the way guys, the internet isn't 300 mpbs. It'll show up as such on an Ookla Speed test but if you torrent or download a larger file or perform a longer speed test, you'll see that after about 30 seconds it drops off to ~160mbps. The initial 300 mbps is just a temporary boost.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1518 posts
199 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: Ive tested one a few devices, including hard wired to laptop.

they all start at 150mb but 1 second later drop and complete at 77-124.

thats not normal right?
This is usually a signal issue. Call or chat with them and ask them to do signal test. If something’s off, they will send a technician to fix it (mostly just needs a splitter). The tech visit should be free.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1645 posts
231 upvotes
Bamelin wrote: Just to confirm you have to be a student to get this deal? My wife is taking part time class at Humber ... does that count?
I just initiated online chat with internet sign up as topic and they offered promotion without me asking anything. Super easy sign up, done within 15 mins
Nov 23, 2017
347 posts
141 upvotes
demil7 wrote: By the way guys, the internet isn't 300 mpbs. It'll show up as such on an Ookla Speed test but if you torrent or download a larger file or perform a longer speed test, you'll see that after about 30 seconds it drops off to ~160mbps. The initial 300 mbps is just a temporary boost.
I tested on fast.com, testmy.net, dslreports.com/speedtest, and performance.cira.ca, getting 240, 300, 305, and 295 mbps in that order for wired connection. Although I notice I have higher bufferbloat on fido compared to rogers on dslreport speed test. For the first two speed tests, it downloads a 200 mb and 300 mb file respectively.
Jan 29, 2003
247 posts
24 upvotes
CaptainPro wrote: See few posts up. You have to turn off band steering to have separate ssids.
Thanks captainpro. Guess my answer was just posted slightly ahead of my question. Band steering, saw it but didnt know what it was...lol. now, what is that button infront do? Tried pressing, doesn't seem to do anything.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1437 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
misterlamed wrote: Anyone got the gift card yet?
You don't get the gift card until at least after a month bases on the offer and conditions.
Jun 3, 2006
950 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga
Yundesa wrote: I originally called and got an agent that played dump and didn't offer me any deals except for $20 off my current 75u plan.
I did chat instead and asked for the 150u plan, they didn't have any problems offering me it. I then told them I had an account already (75u). The agent said he'd try to do it and was able to create a new account for me.
How did they set up a new acct, did you give different info? Will you get a new modem shipped too? Does that mean you also get the gift card?

I only got $25 off the 75u via chat. Will try calling in, wondering if I should ask to get a new acct set up...?
BerryPride :D
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1437 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Good news I think I got shipping notice.

DOCSIS 3.1 Gateway-CODA4582U

Hopefully it's not a lemon.
Oct 4, 2009
45 posts
22 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: I tested on fast.com, testmy.net, dslreports.com/speedtest, and performance.cira.ca, getting 240, 300, 305, and 295 mbps in that order for wired connection. Although I notice I have higher bufferbloat on fido compared to rogers on dslreport speed test. For the first two speed tests, it downloads a 200 mb and 300 mb file respectively.
Those file sizes aren't big enough to get out of the initial speed boost---300mb downloads in less than 15 seconds. On fast.com go into settings and change the test time to 300 seconds.
Jul 5, 2005
214 posts
9 upvotes
Tested CODA vs CGN3 one right after another, coda got 300 and CGN3 got 100-150 both on Fido 150u. Coda a lot better.
Nov 23, 2017
347 posts
141 upvotes
demil7 wrote: Those file sizes aren't big enough to get out of the initial speed boost---300mb downloads in less than 15 seconds. On fast.com go into settings and change the test time to 300 seconds.
Just tested it now, download speed stabled out to 190 mbps... downloaded 7 gb in 5 min. But it did slowly decay to 190 mbps (not after 30 seconds), I'm guessing any longer and it would be constant at 150 mbps like what you have.
Jan 12, 2007
230 posts
64 upvotes
London
Yundesa wrote: I originally called and got an agent that played dump and didn't offer me any deals except for $20 off my current 75u plan.
I did chat instead and asked for the 150u plan, they didn't have any problems offering me it. I then told them I had an account already (75u). The agent said he'd try to do it and was able to create a new account for me.
Just tried via chat. No dice.

I explained that I was an existing customer and wanted the current deal on 150u internet. They said that I needed to be a new customer. So I asked where it stated 'excludes existing customers'. I said I would be a new 150u customer because I currently only have 75u. Then they said, I had to activate it at a new address, so of course I asked where it said that, but no actual information followed.

I tried... even following their own verbiage from the 'additional details' section. Argh.

Best Rogers would offer is 500u for $85+tax. Bell, not even willing to negotiate Fibe 500 for $105. Ahh, get a clue Bell.
May 4, 2008
434 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
I want to get in on this since Rogers is charging $49.99 a month for 500U plus their upcoming $3 increase.

Wondering if this is worth jumping ship for...
Nov 6, 2009
995 posts
185 upvotes
marcotech wrote: I want to get in on this since Rogers is charging $49.99 a month for 500U plus their upcoming $3 increase.

This is 150u for $45, how you comparing 500u for $53 with this? Where can I get 500u for $53? Pls share
Nov 23, 2017
347 posts
141 upvotes
marcotech wrote: I want to get in on this since Rogers is charging $49.99 a month for 500U plus their upcoming $3 increase.

$50 for 500U is pretty nice. For new rogers customers now it is $60/month for a year at that speed. For the $3 increase apparently you need a 30 days notice at least for that to happen on your account according to one of the posts here. Did you get an email? They have less than nine days left to notify you of the increase if not.
Last edited by Ph7nam on Sep 10th, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 3, 2006
950 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga
lrjm wrote: Just tried via chat. No dice.

I explained that I was an existing customer and wanted the current deal on 150u internet. They said that I needed to be a new customer. So I asked where it stated 'excludes existing customers'. I said I would be a new 150u customer because I currently only have 75u. Then they said, I had to activate it at a new address, so of course I asked where it said that, but no actual information followed.

I tried... even following their own verbiage from the 'additional details' section. Argh.

Best Rogers would offer is 500u for $85+tax. Bell, not even willing to negotiate Fibe 500 for $105. Ahh, get a clue Bell.
Good try tho, thanks for reporting in
BerryPride :D
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4466 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto, ON
1 hr waiting for tech support.
and still no one yet
Apr 27, 2012
710 posts
497 upvotes
Ottawa
I got my modem today. It's the CGN3 one. When I did the speed test, it was downloading ~ 200 mbs. When I bridged it to my Linksys velop the speeds went down dramatically to around 80 mbs down. Any ideas what is going on?