Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 3:18 pm
Apr 17, 2016
298 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Question for the techies: I bought a new router earlier this year. I have the CGN3U modem from Fido, and connected my router to the LAN on Fido modem. My router is on main floor, CGN3U in basement...no issues currently with my router or CGN3U wireless (both are running wireless) and I can connect to whichever WiFi I want.

Is there any advantage to disabling wifi on CGN3U? Or is it OK to leave both WiFi's running simultaneously?
Sep 26, 2016
35 posts
32 upvotes
gfnstew wrote: Question for the techies: I bought a new router earlier this year. I have the CGN3U modem from Fido, and connected my router to the LAN on Fido modem. My router is on main floor, CGN3U in basement...no issues currently with my router or CGN3U wireless (both are running wireless) and I can connect to whichever WiFi I want.

Is there any advantage to disabling wifi on CGN3U? Or is it OK to leave both WiFi's running simultaneously?
Just make sure the radio's are on different channels (to avoid interference). Other than that, I'd just leave it as is. If one goes down momentarily, switch to the other.
Sep 5, 2020
13 posts
13 upvotes
gfnstew wrote: Question for the techies: I bought a new router earlier this year. I have the CGN3U modem from Fido, and connected my router to the LAN on Fido modem. My router is on main floor, CGN3U in basement...no issues currently with my router or CGN3U wireless (both are running wireless) and I can connect to whichever WiFi I want.

Fine to leave both. Especially since you are running on separate floors. People just "bridge" or disable Wifi on the ISP combination Router-And-Modem because they prefer to use their own router which typically might sit right beside. No need to have the two devices side by side with 2 wifi points. But fine to use like how you describe.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4205 posts
1889 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dynogic wrote: Got an email early in the morning (12-1AM) that the modem shipped. 7-8 hrs later, there was a guy knocking on my door. I'm in DT Toronto.

Plugged it in, set it up. All is good.

Download is more than advertised (I presume it's unthrottled coaxial). Upload is throttled. It's not FTTH (too expensive in my building to justify) so upload is meh.

The modem is the CODA-4582.

Time to get the wife to cancel TekSavvy. Thanks OP!
Did your email say CODA?

I have yet to see another that says DOCSIS 3.0 GATEWAY like mine.
Apr 17, 2016
298 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
dynogic wrote: Just make sure the radio's are on different channels (to avoid interference). Other than that, I'd just leave it as is. If one goes down momentarily, switch to the other.

Thanks to you and Tony.

Both are on different channels. I will leave it alone for now, unless I have some issues down the road!
Apr 17, 2016
298 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
JRGUINNESS wrote: Did your email say CODA?

I have yet to see another that says DOCSIS 3.0 GATEWAY like mine.

Mine said DOCSIS 3.0 GATEWAY and I got the CGN3U.
Jun 26, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know if there is any cancellation fees if i decide to tryout this service? I'm currently with Rogers with Digital VIP cable and 150U Internet. I tried via chat yesterday with Rogers and they wouldn't match this price from Fido. They only offered $15 off which is horrible considering what I could be paying with FIDO. Thinking about signing up trying it out and cancelling the internet with Rogers if it works the same as what I have now.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4205 posts
1889 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gfnstew wrote: Mine said DOCSIS 3.0 GATEWAY and I got the CGN3U.
Thanks.

Getting 300+ MBs with it?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
3178 posts
823 upvotes
tigerfan wrote: Does anyone know if there is any cancellation fees if i decide to tryout this service? I'm currently with Rogers with Digital VIP cable and 150U Internet. I tried via chat yesterday with Rogers and they wouldn't match this price from Fido. They only offered $15 off which is horrible considering what I could be paying with FIDO. Thinking about signing up trying it out and cancelling the internet with Rogers if it works the same as what I have now.
The rogers internet should also be month to month, should be no cancellation fees but check with them anyways.

This fido one is month to month savings as well, not contract.
Jun 26, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
TDNGUYEN wrote: The rogers internet should also be month to month, should be no cancellation fees but check with them anyways.

This fido one is month to month savings as well, not contract.
Thank you! Great advice.
Apr 17, 2016
298 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
JRGUINNESS wrote: Thanks.

Getting 300+ MBs with it?
220mbps on 5ghz wireless. No complaints here, it's > than what I am paying for!
Sep 1, 2017
12 posts
14 upvotes
cllc22 wrote: Has anyone else been running into connection issues with wifi on the Black Modem (no router)?

My Wifi speed would be 150mbps then randomly drop down to like 3 mbps every 15 or so minutes and the wifi would also randomly disappear and disconnect (from all of my devices).
Yes. There are no problems wired, but the wireless drops every few minutes. I've been with Fido for a few months now and have been unable to get a new modem. I have tried it with a router in bridge mode and I have the same issues still. If anyone else knows a solution, let me know.
Last edited by MiracleofIstanbul on Sep 10th, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 28, 2004
38 posts
10 upvotes
Ordered on Tuesday. Got my modem delivery email last night. Seems it might get delivered today.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1455 posts
136 upvotes
queerasmoi wrote: Already a Fido 75u customer. My mobile isn't with them.

Got a promotional phone call yesterday during a work meeting. The caller said he was offering a home internet + mobile deal and I tried to get him to spit out the numbers but he just kept reading from a script SOOO SLOWLY... I said sorry I can't spare the time and hung up. I wonder if this deal was on offer 🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't think Fido will phone people or their customer around about this deal

It seems like maybe somebody else was promoting his promotion or could be one Internet seller from

TenTenTel
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5278 posts
1064 upvotes
Just got my CODA-4582 this morning after getting shipping notice last night. It is all hooked up in bridge mode to my Asus router and everything looks good!

Going to call to cancel my Carrytel now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)