Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 4:18 pm
Mar 26, 2010
878 posts
77 upvotes
Scarborough
Tested my connection today with the CGN3 modem, getting 150mbps+ download and 16mbps upload on WiFi and 200mbps+ and 16mbps on wired. Ping was around 9ms. As for my mobile service, porting my number from Koodo to Fido was a breeze, took like 10mins and I was all setup. I did that through their live chat, pretty simple and convenient! I cancelled my Rogers for September 21, and CSR told me I was going to get a new bill with the adjustment for the remaining month so I only have to pay around $39ish. I just have to return the Rogers modem now to the nearest Rogers store and we good. CSR also said that they'll give a receipt when you return the modem in-person at the store.
Oct 15, 2017
425 posts
297 upvotes
Canada
mike613ottawa wrote: I got the deal in store with no problem and they said it was activated right away. I've tried two other CODA modems from friends, and neither one can sync at home (endless flashing green down arrow). I used to have cable internet with Carrytel, until I switched to VDSL for the past year.
Thanks, maybe I'll have better luck at a kiosk/store. There are lots of houses and condo buildings in my area, so I doubt Fido/Rogers doesn't already have this area wired for cable internet. I'm thinking they signed up a lot of people under the discount promotion, and already met their sales targets. Maybe the kiosk folks looking for the commission will be motivated to make a deal!
Dec 17, 2013
45 posts
11 upvotes
I switched to Fido internet and wireless, this deal was too tempting to get ignored.
Wireless connection is great however, I am getting intermittent drops in the internet connection. the tech support is so lousy the guy started a video call to check the modem and all he said is that your modem is behind the TV that's why your wifi signal is dropping. this morning I moved the modem next to my desktop and connected with an ethernet cable. still got connection drops.
Anyone else going though the same issue?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2945 upvotes
if your tech didnt even check for power strength on the router, then you should find another tech.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1229 posts
414 upvotes
canram wrote: I switched to Fido internet and wireless, this deal was too tempting to get ignored.
Wireless connection is great however, I am getting intermittent drops in the internet connection. the tech support is so lousy the guy started a video call to check the modem and all he said is that your modem is behind the TV that's why your wifi signal is dropping. this morning I moved the modem next to my desktop and connected with an ethernet cable. still got connection drops.
Anyone else going though the same issue?
Bridge mode and get a legitimate router
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1184 posts
1002 upvotes
Markham
Took me 2.5 hours yesterday on chat to fix my "fraud" address and re-sign up, with most of that waiting for them to answer or transfer me (transferred me to tech support... who transferred me to Rogers... I think they were messing with me...). At first after saying I needed to re-sign up they said I needed Student ID, when that was never asked for when I signed up last Tuesday. But the last CSR I had was nice, she had me signed up in only a few minutes, didn't require a Student ID.

Shipped FAST. They sent me a shipping notice at 11pm last night, Purolator picked it up at 1am, and I received it this morning at 9am.
Still have CIKTel active, but plugged in the Fido CGN3 modem, worked right away. Set it to bridge mode, used my own router, swapped Ethernet (from my old one to the one incl in the box) because I was getting only ~90Mbps, now I get up to 260Mbps.

Thanks OP!

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Dec 8, 2008
391 posts
191 upvotes
bajemail wrote: People moving out from Carrytel, did they want you to drop off modem to their office or send by post at your own expense? This is strange since I thought, earlier they mentioned that they will send paid shipping labels, other companies usually do the same. Now they becoming cheap?
Did you end up finding out about this? Could you drop off the modem to their office?
Apr 14, 2007
66 posts
6 upvotes
aiz_324 wrote: Did you end up finding out about this? Could you drop off the modem to their office?
First called them to cancel and dropped it off at their vic park office. The next day got cancellation email. They didn't try to retain me at all. No counter offer from carrytel.
Nov 30, 2005
865 posts
266 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Got the deal through the chat, thanks Op. Pretty easy as I just mentioned the deal for new customer and they guy quickly confirmed and offered it. No hassle.

Rogers was a pain. When I called to cancel they offered me $70 for 300u which was what I was paying (so no offer at all) and then got the email asking me to stay and still the rep only offered me the same $70. Idiots.
May 17, 2005
295 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone manage to waive the $40 fee for cell phone $50- $10 for 12 months? I got on the third try but they won't waive the connection fee.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3855 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered yet in this thread (deal is too hot and moving too fast)

But how do you set the cgn3 modem into bridge mode? It just arrived today, and I've yet to fire it up. Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to call Fido tech support to configure remotely?

I have my own router and WAPs already deployed throughout my home network.

Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1060 posts
147 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered yet in this thread (deal is too hot and moving too fast)

But how do you set the cgn3 modem into bridge mode? It just arrived today, and I've yet to fire it up. Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to call Fido tech support to configure remotely?

I have my own router and Wasps already deployed throughout my home network.

Thanks!!
Here https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... emode-cgn3
Dec 10, 2012
372 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
Anyone can suggest a budget good router with good signals? Without the wifi pods I had with bell, my wyze baby cam is constantly dropping signal (my router is on the ground floor where as nursery is upstairs).
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19988 posts
5367 upvotes
Good Morning
Repooc wrote: Hey guys,

I have my own router and WAPs already deployed throughout my home network.

Thanks!!
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... emode-cgn3
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
1167 posts
328 upvotes
Signed up two lines, cancelled both Rogers internet lines. Up yours Rogers !!

Oh wait...Fido is owned...

The game is f* rigged folks.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1436 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
Gtabuddy wrote: How do you register for the gift card
The rep would've told you how it works.

You get an email 4-6 weeks after sticking with the service.
Sep 6, 2014
84 posts
39 upvotes
@Repooc I got my modem today and I had hard time setting it up in the bridge mode. It's not as straight forward. When you login to 192.168.0.1 for the first time, it won't ask for any username and password. It will take you straight away to the easy setup page which basically shows you a check mark if your modem is getting signals from the service provider and on the next screen it asks you to setup Wireless settings. The mistake I made was that I didn't configure Wireless settings because I had my Airport Extreme that I wanted to use but since there was no other way to setup new modem in the bridge mode I felt completely lost. I then setup SSID and password on the Fido modem, saved settings, rebooted the modem and tried to open 192.168.0.1 again and voila I was asked for username and password. So in short, you must setup Wi-Fi on Fido in order to access admin page of modem. Another tip, your username is the default one which is written behind the modem but the password is now the one you setup for your SSID. It's not the default modem password. Once you login then just follow the instructions on the link provided by another poster (pasted again below) and you'll be all set.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... emode-cgn3

Just be patient after you apply settings. It took a while before modem came back online. I wish there were instructions included in the package. I wasted more than half an hour on all this. Very frustrating experience. I didn't have same challenge when I got Rogers modem a few years ago.

Good luck!
Jan 17, 2017
196 posts
125 upvotes
aiz_324 wrote: Did you end up finding out about this? Could you drop off the modem to their office?
Yeh no choice but either mail them at your cost or drop off at their location. I received pro-rated monthly charges back (invoice, not actual money yet). But the modem deposit for Carrytel is not mentioned in this invoice. Anyone else received it?