Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 7:12 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3384 posts
1809 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote: you just won't have an Internet connection, but you can test your LAN connection speed and range without the modem

if your neighbour's wifi signal strength is good enough and within range, you can setup your router as an access point and extend his network into your home, however keep in mind there would be speed degradation depending on a number of factors

for stability and better speed, i've seen neighbours literally run a patch cable home-to-home through windows to share Internet; it's ghetto, but works lol
Thank you for answering. And making me laugh.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1624 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
What was everyone's total for their first bill? Mine came to $60.40 prorated for 5 days of service.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17900 posts
945 upvotes
I'm late to the party, but my Bell Fibe deal expired and rolled over to regular pricing so I'm looking to leave for something more affordable.. Would definitely be a new customer, never used any Fido services before.
What's my best method to sign up? Online chat still? Much appreciated
Nov 22, 2017
674 posts
393 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I'm late to the party, but my Bell Fibe deal expired and rolled over to regular pricing so I'm looking to leave for something more affordable.. Would definitely be a new customer, never used any Fido services before.
What's my best method to sign up? Online chat still? Much appreciated
Online chat or phone doesn't matter, they are giving this deal away to everyone. If you have trouble just hang up and call another agent.
Nov 22, 2017
674 posts
393 upvotes
av3n wrote: What was everyone's total for their first bill? Mine came to $60.40 prorated for 5 days of service.
Sounds about right (5 days / 30 days * $45 ) + $45 + tax ?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17900 posts
945 upvotes
OK I just got off the phone with Bell, the guy's trying to claim I'm receiving a significant discount already for the Bell Fibe 500 Unlimited internet. Says regular price $100.95+tax and I'm only paying $73+tax or something like that.. The internet IS good but the listed deal here is still much cheaper.. I'm not sure what to do
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
duckdown wrote: OK I just got off the phone with Bell, the guy's trying to claim I'm receiving a significant discount already for the Bell Fibe 500 Unlimited internet. Says regular price $100.95+tax and I'm only paying $73+tax or something like that.. The internet IS good but the listed deal here is still much cheaper.. I'm not sure what to do
you waited until it is expired before looking into this??? Cancel with bell first. Then see if their retentions contacts you and offers you a similar or better deal. Then check with fido.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9725 posts
3063 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: Online chat or phone doesn't matter, they are giving this deal away to everyone. If you have trouble just hang up and call another agent.
Not that easy for everyone. Tried chat 3 times and phone once. Each time it was student only.
Mar 24, 2015
18 posts
27 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I had to contact Fido 6 times over a mix of phone and chat to get this deal. Chat finally worked after I connected with a rep from Vancouver. I just told him I heard about this deal from a friend who got it. I was on Rogers before and there was a little bit of an issue with that but I got it done. Super nice rep. Just keep persistent. You'll get it.
Dec 4, 2017
578 posts
255 upvotes
duckdown wrote: OK I just got off the phone with Bell, the guy's trying to claim I'm receiving a significant discount already for the Bell Fibe 500 Unlimited internet. Says regular price $100.95+tax and I'm only paying $73+tax or something like that.. The internet IS good but the listed deal here is still much cheaper.. I'm not sure what to do
You experienced their standard manipulation, which is to give you a discount that appears to be fairly good off of their street rates. It is intended to give people a feeling of satisfaction for successful negotiation. It has nothing to do with their best rate, which you will probably only get by setting a cancellation date.
Dec 27, 2012
157 posts
88 upvotes
Bowmanville
Okay, I finally finished running cat6 to my computer downstairs to try a wired speedtest and I am only getting mid 90mps. Any ideas why it is slower than it should be? It's the same as the wifi speedtest results.
Nov 15, 2013
7 posts
Pickering
When does this offer end, and what phone number would I call to get this service from them? Will I need to provide anything specific to them while on the phone. I could not find how to contact fido for the deal and on their website says $75/month for the 150u.

Thanks
Jun 5, 2017
103 posts
31 upvotes
Just a heads up ive spent over 6 hours on the chat with them (4 separate occasions) since signing up mid September, just to get the proper bill and allow me to log in to my account. Their customer service seems like a horrible pain in the ass to deal with.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1017 posts
374 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
davidj8580 wrote: Okay, I finally finished running cat6 to my computer downstairs to try a wired speedtest and I am only getting mid 90mps. Any ideas why it is slower than it should be? It's the same as the wifi speedtest results.
Did you make sure that each part of your network is capable of more than 100mbps? Your router, cables, modem needs to be. I had the same issue and realised my laptop Ethernet port wasn't actually capable of 100mbps. Thankfully the WiFi card itself was though.
Mar 28, 2017
37 posts
15 upvotes
just got my first bill

is everyone paying modem rental fee of $8? I thought the $45+ taxes includes the modem.

Plan is 60
modem rental is 8
credit of 21.55
total comes to $60.40 taxed in.
Dec 3, 2007
592 posts
401 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: Did you make sure that each part of your network is capable of more than 100mbps? Your router, cables, modem needs to be. I had the same issue and realised my laptop Ethernet port wasn't actually capable of 100mbps. Thankfully the WiFi card itself was though.
For me, it was Ooma between my router and modem that was limiting my speed. After I put the Ooma box after my router, speed hit normal levels.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2146 posts
1244 upvotes
Etobicoke
htp1498 wrote: just got my first bill

is everyone paying modem rental fee of $8? I thought the $45+ taxes includes the modem.

Plan is 60
modem rental is 8
credit of 21.55
total comes to $60.40 taxed in.
First bill will have prorated charges and that why it's higher than normal.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17900 posts
945 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: You experienced their standard manipulation, which is to give you a discount that appears to be fairly good off of their street rates. It is intended to give people a feeling of satisfaction for successful negotiation. It has nothing to do with their best rate, which you will probably only get by setting a cancellation date.
Likely true, but it's still Bell Fibe 500 (which I don't think is even capped at 500 tbh) unlimited for like 30 bucks more per month than this deal, so I'm still a bit confused as to what to do
Feb 4, 2018
123 posts
91 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Likely true, but it's still Bell Fibe 500 (which I don't think is even capped at 500 tbh) unlimited for like 30 bucks more per month than this deal, so I'm still a bit confused as to what to do
Only you can decide if you need the extra bandwidth/faster uploads. Pick the service that works best for you.