Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 7:03 pm
Sep 4, 2010
43 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
badOne wrote: nope. It has to do a connection test first - no way to bypass that. If it doesnt detect an internet connection, then the whole setup is aborted (with a retry button on bottom).
I was hoping the "connection test" could be on any line provisioned for cable internet. But I guess it definitely has to be an active MAC address registered with Fido/Rogers - at least as far I can tell.

I wonder if there's custom firmware that would bypass it - although I'm not sure I want to be doing that.

Also, I have a backup of a friend's CODA-4582, but I'm guessing that's useless without passing the easy connect first.
Nov 14, 2003
376 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
mike613ottawa wrote: I was hoping the "connection test" could be on any line provisioned for cable internet. But I guess it definitely has to be an active MAC address registered with Fido/Rogers - at least as far I can tell.

I wonder if there's custom firmware that would bypass it - although I'm not sure I want to be doing that.

Also, I have a backup of a friend's CODA-4582, but I'm guessing that's useless without passing the easy connect first.
I'm pretty sure they validate the MAC address of the modem - you have to use the modem they provide.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3654 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsultnt wrote: I'm pretty sure they validate the MAC address of the modem - you have to use the modem they provide.
if you're a rogers customer moving to fido for this promo and still possess both modems, since rogers owns fido, it would make sense for them to allow to transition the mac address of the coda to your fido account, but i guess that would be too much of a headache if fido and rogers have separate modem inventories
Jan 2, 2018
17 posts
4 upvotes
Is anyone still getting the cell plan of 9GB for $40? I was on a chat with Fido and was quickly offered the home internet option ($45 for 150mbs with the gift card), but was told the $10 off for the cell plan isn’t available anymore, making it now $50.
Nov 23, 2008
100 posts
47 upvotes
punchy712 wrote: Is anyone still getting the cell plan of 9GB for $40? I was on a chat with Fido and was quickly offered the home internet option ($45 for 150mbs with the gift card), but was told the $10 off for the cell plan isn’t available anymore, making it now $50.
I was told the same thing about the phone plan. They can't offer $10 off because they are offering 5 gb of bonus data already. The $10 off applies only to plan without the bonus data.
Nov 23, 2012
304 posts
70 upvotes
Ferocious12 wrote: Is this faster than fibe 100?
Faster yes, better no. cable internet is prone to latency and network congestion. If you game online or use video chat applications then cable internet wont meet your needs
Feb 4, 2018
116 posts
87 upvotes
dmflash1 wrote: Faster yes, better no. cable internet is prone to latency and network congestion. If you game online or use video chat applications then cable internet wont meet your needs
Ehh, I wouldn't say cable internet won't meet the needs to do online gaming or video chats. Been using cable internet (rogers cable) for years, and everything works just fine for day-to-day use.

Although it is true that fiber is much more reliable. If fiber is available at your address and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's always better to go with fiber over cable at similar speeds.
Dec 22, 2012
37 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
mike613ottawa wrote: How were you offered the phone deal? I signed up for the 150u deal (actually three of them) about a week ago, but I wasn't ready to port my number at the time, but now I am. Trying to figure out if it's too late, and/or the best way to add it on to the promo...
After I completed sign up for internet through chat the rep asked if I wanted to save on my mobile service. He was able to see details of my Rogers plans on his end.
May 21, 2013
74 posts
81 upvotes
London
dmflash1 wrote: Faster yes, better no. cable internet is prone to latency and network congestion. If you game online or use video chat applications then cable internet wont meet your needs
This is just misleading. Cable with 50 mbps is plenty for gaming nevermind 150mbps. I'm playing Stadia online all the time and it works perfect on the DSL I had from Teksavvy, gigabit from Rogers, and now this 150u plan on Fido. It's all down to your local infrastructure - if you have fiber to your home, chances are your cable lines are all new and in good shape as well. If the cable is oversaturated or in poor condition, I highly doubt you are getting fiber to the home.
Nov 15, 2006
541 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
wrecker wrote: I checked again this weekend and only saw a thick wire from the Rogers box. I guess it is the main one providing all cable, internet, phone signals from Rogers. There is no “output” cable from the Rogers box.

I guess Fido technicians will need to come and wire something out from the box into my house before I can use Fido internet. Before the pandemic is over I don’t think I can take advantage on any good Fido or Rogers deals.
Update : chat online again... no matter what they are not coming. They said they don’t want to risk the technician’s life even they don’t need to come into the house. What can I say.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3156 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
wrecker wrote: I checked again this weekend and only saw a thick wire from the Rogers box. I guess it is the main one providing all cable, internet, phone signals from Rogers. There is no “output” cable from the Rogers box.

I guess Fido technicians will need to come and wire something out from the box into my house before I can use Fido internet. Before the pandemic is over I don’t think I can take advantage on any good Fido or Rogers deals.
I don't think cable has input and outputs anymore. It goes both ways. Also just saying "box" is unclear. There may be a demarcation box, the equipment box itself, the TV box, etc.

New mantra: when you would like help, please take care to explain things well. Many times descriptions can be taken a few ways, so narrowing down those ways, will get you better help, rather than more questions.
Dec 2, 2016
21 posts
23 upvotes
A lot of Fido agents are misinforming people about the non-existance of the $10 credit towards the $50 cellular plan..
I just spoke with a supervisor and he confirmed that the $10 credit on the $50 cellphone plan for 12 months is still available, provided you sign up for both internet and cellular.
Dec 20, 2005
959 posts
25 upvotes
saladtoss wrote: If you went through the easy connect it'll ask you to set a password on your wifi networks, which updates the password on cusadmin as well

You need to be on the network in order to get access to 192.168.0.1 so no real risk if you set up the wifi correctly
hey folks, I unplugged teksavvy modem and connected the fido modem. Then I went through the easy connect setup. However, both my old and new wifi connections are still available when I go into settings on my phone.

I also ran speed tests on both old and new wifi connections. The old one ranges from 200-300 mbps(only had 30 mbps with teksavvy). The new wifi speed ranges from 40 to 180, but usually around 100.

1. Shouldn't my old wifi not appear when I scan for wifi, since I disconnected the old modem?

2. Shouldn't the new fido wifi be quicker?

3. There was a black coax cable that came with the modem. I used my existing coax cable. Would there be a benefit to using the coax cable that came with the new modem?

*** Update: router is built into the modem.
Last edited by pogs on Sep 19th, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 21, 2007
349 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't pickup my router and now they've cancelled my order. FYI - you have 5 days to get it at a store. Get it shipped, so much easier.

Now the promo is students only... f$@!

** luckily I am a part-time student - this worked for RE-registration.
Last edited by lovethesales on Sep 19th, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

dynogic, Sphynx