Hot Deals

[Fido] 150u Home Internet for $45/month + 9GB Cell Phone Plan for $40/month YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 12:05 am
Dec 4, 2017
529 posts
229 upvotes
duckdown wrote: OK I just got off the phone with Bell, the guy's trying to claim I'm receiving a significant discount already for the Bell Fibe 500 Unlimited internet. Says regular price $100.95+tax and I'm only paying $73+tax or something like that.. The internet IS good but the listed deal here is still much cheaper.. I'm not sure what to do
You experienced their standard manipulation, which is to give you a discount that appears to be fairly good off of their street rates. It is intended to give people a feeling of satisfaction for successful negotiation. It has nothing to do with their best rate, which you will probably only get by setting a cancellation date.
Dec 27, 2012
146 posts
83 upvotes
Bowmanville
Okay, I finally finished running cat6 to my computer downstairs to try a wired speedtest and I am only getting mid 90mps. Any ideas why it is slower than it should be? It's the same as the wifi speedtest results.
Nov 15, 2013
7 posts
Pickering
When does this offer end, and what phone number would I call to get this service from them? Will I need to provide anything specific to them while on the phone. I could not find how to contact fido for the deal and on their website says $75/month for the 150u.

Thanks
Jun 5, 2017
83 posts
14 upvotes
Just a heads up ive spent over 6 hours on the chat with them (4 separate occasions) since signing up mid September, just to get the proper bill and allow me to log in to my account. Their customer service seems like a horrible pain in the ass to deal with.
Jan 4, 2014
970 posts
362 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
davidj8580 wrote: Okay, I finally finished running cat6 to my computer downstairs to try a wired speedtest and I am only getting mid 90mps. Any ideas why it is slower than it should be? It's the same as the wifi speedtest results.
Did you make sure that each part of your network is capable of more than 100mbps? Your router, cables, modem needs to be. I had the same issue and realised my laptop Ethernet port wasn't actually capable of 100mbps. Thankfully the WiFi card itself was though.
Mar 28, 2017
34 posts
15 upvotes
just got my first bill

is everyone paying modem rental fee of $8? I thought the $45+ taxes includes the modem.

Plan is 60
modem rental is 8
credit of 21.55
total comes to $60.40 taxed in.
Dec 3, 2007
484 posts
336 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: Did you make sure that each part of your network is capable of more than 100mbps? Your router, cables, modem needs to be. I had the same issue and realised my laptop Ethernet port wasn't actually capable of 100mbps. Thankfully the WiFi card itself was though.
For me, it was Ooma between my router and modem that was limiting my speed. After I put the Ooma box after my router, speed hit normal levels.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2101 posts
1202 upvotes
Etobicoke
htp1498 wrote: just got my first bill

is everyone paying modem rental fee of $8? I thought the $45+ taxes includes the modem.

Plan is 60
modem rental is 8
credit of 21.55
First bill will have prorated charges and that why it's higher than normal.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17864 posts
918 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: You experienced their standard manipulation, which is to give you a discount that appears to be fairly good off of their street rates. It is intended to give people a feeling of satisfaction for successful negotiation. It has nothing to do with their best rate, which you will probably only get by setting a cancellation date.
Likely true, but it's still Bell Fibe 500 (which I don't think is even capped at 500 tbh) unlimited for like 30 bucks more per month than this deal, so I'm still a bit confused as to what to do
Feb 4, 2018
116 posts
87 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Likely true, but it's still Bell Fibe 500 (which I don't think is even capped at 500 tbh) unlimited for like 30 bucks more per month than this deal, so I'm still a bit confused as to what to do
Only you can decide if you need the extra bandwidth/faster uploads. Pick the service that works best for you.
Dec 27, 2012
146 posts
83 upvotes
Bowmanville
ahumanbeing wrote: Did you make sure that each part of your network is capable of more than 100mbps? Your router, cables, modem needs to be. I had the same issue and realised my laptop Ethernet port wasn't actually capable of 100mbps. Thankfully the WiFi card itself was though.
The modem, router and all of the cables can. How do I find out my ethernet port information?
May 5, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
I am told that a technician needs to come to setup the internet and due to covid, they are not sending tech to homes. I am paying $95 for internet now as my bell promo ended. Anyone aware of good deals from rogers. Typically the deal are offered by agents selling for rogers. Any help would be much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3577 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Shani1296 wrote: I am told that a technician needs to come to setup the internet and due to covid, they are not sending tech to homes. I am paying $95 for internet now as my bell promo ended. Anyone aware of good deals from rogers. Typically the deal are offered by agents selling for rogers. Any help would be much appreciated.
Why can't the tech work outside your home? As long as the coax feed is coming into your home, it should just be a matter or plugging in the modem and looking for a signal.

Anyways, not sure if you can call them deals, but this is what rogers is offering publicly for Internet residential:

https://www.rogers.com/promotions/internet

Usually you won't get a deal unless you bundle Internet with cable, or go to an Ignite package.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3577 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
htp1498 wrote: just got my first bill

Plan is 60
modem rental is 8
credit of 21.55
hoping the modem rental is included in the $45!
Oct 15, 2017
388 posts
249 upvotes
Canada
davidj8580 wrote: The modem, router and all of the cables can. How do I find out my ethernet port information?
Try googling the answer. Update this thread on what the eventual cause was for the slower speed. Probably others that will run into similar scenarios.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

dynogic