Expired Hot Deals

[The Mobile Shop] Fido $34/month for 11GB (2nd Line Discount + Freedom Port)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 6:51 pm
Jul 16, 2019
627 posts
322 upvotes
will they offer the same deal if moving from Rogers ?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1885 posts
2349 upvotes
GTA
leadersuper699 wrote: Can anyone tell me I have freedom prepaid account with one line activated. can i add a line port in my Virgin number with out top up than port it out to Fido next day?
Yes, but the promo ends today, so you need to do everything today. Fido promo is in store (Fido or other stores), not online/chat/phone. Depending upon where you are, you may not have much time to do all this.
Mar 25, 2018
43 posts
4 upvotes
Just got home from switching.
- 30 mins max
- Freedom to Fido, BYOP
- 1st line 9GB 39/month, 2nd line 9GB 34/month + 2 GB extra. Two years. Unlimited text and call. You can just do one line and get the $11 discount as well.
- Sales rep added 1000 minutes long distance to both accounts (idk if that happened for anyone else)
- $40 credit for sim card charges - to appear on 3rd bill
- you also get PC points
- I asked if today was the last day of the offer and he said he doesn't know cause it keeps extending

This was downtown The Mobile Shop in Loblaws (17 Leslie St)
Sales rep name is Parth (super nice and clear with everything).
Dec 23, 2018
72 posts
91 upvotes
Got the deal $34/11GB at Fido Kiosk.

Opened a freedom prepaid line online this afternoon, already had a spare Freedom SIM. Went to Fido and ported over to my Fido account where I already have my main line and a tablet line.

The Mobile shops in Ottawa refused to do it for Freedom accounts created recently - I guess since they have access to Freedom portal.
The Fido store can't see Freedom side so they processed it and it worked. (Mobile shops are lying).

I will later port out my main Fido line and port it back on this new discounted line - confirmed by Fido chat agent.

Thanks OP and everyone for the tips.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1640 posts
204 upvotes
karlb wrote: Yes, but the promo ends today, so you need to do everything today. Fido promo is in store (Fido or other stores), not online/chat/phone. Depending upon where you are, you may not have much time to do all this.
Thanks for reply. i just want to make sure add a line with top up funds still able to port out the number.
POCO X3 NFC + Public Mobile 100 mins talk & Unlimited text $10 (Auto pay) + Fido data 4GB $0.
2 x Telus Peace of Mind each $40/25GB 5G unlimited.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1640 posts
204 upvotes
leadersuper699 wrote: Thanks for reply. i just want to make sure add a line with out top up funds still able to port out the number.
POCO X3 NFC + Public Mobile 100 mins talk & Unlimited text $10 (Auto pay) + Fido data 4GB $0.
2 x Telus Peace of Mind each $40/25GB 5G unlimited.
Mar 25, 2018
43 posts
4 upvotes
Does anyone know if changing one of the numbers after porting will affect the promo whatsoever ? Or will it be the same
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1885 posts
2349 upvotes
GTA
Got 2 Freedom SIMs yesterday ($10 each + tax) and ported out to prepaid. Did not top-up.

Today local TMS refused to port back to Fido, but Fido kiosk was ok with doing this.
One of two lines that was ported to Freedom yesterday could not be ported back, but the other one could. Odd. Still got the deal with a temp number and was told to try porting the number tomorrow.
Our existing 4GB "tablet" data lines were sufficient to get both phone lines at $34/11GB. So we're back in the same Fido account as yesterday.

$40 setup fee will be charged and then refunded in month 2 or 3.
5GB+4GB+2GB, unlimited talk/text/MMS
1000 LD minutes to 8 countries added (Australia, Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong and Taiwan), Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, UK). $5 charge + $5 credit
Will need to renegotiate within 24 months (as $11 Freedom and $5 additional line discounts expire in 24 months); there will be lots more deals during that time.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1885 posts
2349 upvotes
GTA
thaitea wrote: Does anyone know if changing one of the numbers after porting will affect the promo whatsoever ? Or will it be the same
You can change the number via self-service to another random Fido number, or you can port in a different number to that plan.
You cannot move numbers from one Fido line to another, unless you port out and back in.
Sep 23, 2020
140 posts
45 upvotes
aznviper wrote: spoke to someone at walmart when i was doing this and he said the deal should be on for a while and won't end at the end of the month
May I ask which walmart? I believe you're in Vancouver.
I am thinking of porting my Fido number to Freedom and port in back to Fido after a day or two, but I didn't want to risk it today if it really ends tomorrow.
Oct 31, 2014
169 posts
29 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Lvxios wrote: May I ask which walmart? I believe you're in Vancouver.
I am thinking of porting my Fido number to Freedom and port in back to Fido after a day or two, but I didn't want to risk it today if it really ends tomorrow.
Another way mentioned by the OP is to get a temp number from Fido to secure this plan (tell rep that you will port in later). Same day port your main line to Freedom. Tomorrow within 24 hours port your main line number to the temp Fido number. Done.
Sep 23, 2020
140 posts
45 upvotes
kelvint911 wrote: Another way mentioned by the OP is to get a temp number from Fido to secure this plan (tell rep that you will port in later). Same day port your main line to Freedom. Tomorrow within 24 hours port your main line number to the temp Fido number. Done.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Do you know, after I have secured the plan with a temp number, if I can port my main number to freedom then back to Fido temp number to use my main number on this plan.
Because I wouldn't want to use this plan if it is a new number.
I am also waiting to see if anyone confirms this offer tomorrow as it was suggested to end today.
Oct 31, 2014
169 posts
29 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Lvxios wrote: Thank you for the suggestion.
Do you know, after I have secured the plan with a temp number, if I can port my main number to freedom then back to Fido temp number to use my main number on this plan.
Because I wouldn't want to use this plan if it is a new number.
I am also waiting to see if anyone confirms this offer tomorrow as it was suggested to end today.
Hmmm.. I think my previous post answers your question. Just make sure your main line stayed with freedom for around 12 hours or more (that's why I said port out to freedom tonight).

Not sure if they would extend it or not. We will see.
Sep 23, 2020
140 posts
45 upvotes
kelvint911 wrote: Hmmm.. I think my previous post answers your question. Just make sure your main line stayed with freedom for around 12 hours or more (that's why I said port out to freedom tonight).

Not sure if they would extend it or not. We will see.
Thank you for your help.

I think what is safer to do is what you did, port main number to freedom and wait 24 hours then port back to fido 34/11. hopefully this still on for a week or so. then I have all the time to do it and keep my main number.

someone did mention in the thread somewhere, you only have 24 hours to port freedom number to fido on new plan? that might not be enough time to port main number to freedom and back, so I don't know.
Apr 26, 2010
251 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver
Lvxios wrote: May I ask which walmart? I believe you're in Vancouver.
this is at the grandview hwy location. i just got a call from the walmart rep that i went to sign up with and said he got a memo that this plan will end at 6pm today. i'll be going back after work to get my other accounts onto this plan before the plan ends.

what i'm doing is open a temp number from freedom and then port that temp number over to fido. once i have the plan set, i'll be moving over my phone numbers over.
Sep 23, 2020
140 posts
45 upvotes
aznviper wrote: this is at the grandview hwy location. i just got a call from the walmart rep that i went to sign up with and said he got a memo that this plan will end at 6pm today. i'll be going back after work to get my other accounts onto this plan before the plan ends.

what i'm doing is open a temp number from freedom and then port that temp number over to fido. once i have the plan set, i'll be moving over my phone numbers over.
Thank you for the update!
I think I have given up already haha, I didn’t open a Freedom account today, so just gonna hope similar deals come along Black Friday or Boxing
Dec 11, 2012
254 posts
631 upvotes
Waterloo
Ended up having leftover Freedom sims and numbers from the Telus winback that I didn't get. Went to the mall in Waterloo, ON and went to Fido, Source and Wirelesswave and asked about the Freedom port deal.

Fido just offered me the plan ($39/9gb first line and $34/11gb for each added line) and I can do BYOD or get phones. They had a promo for an iPhone 11 $0 down and $32/month (usually $42) for 24 months ($888 after tax over the 24 months). Asked for a discount on phone and was turned down.

Went to the source and guy offered me $150 off phone after negotiating, but they run on Virgin only for this port deal.

Wirelesswave had the best deal. Same plan and I can choose either Fido or Virgin and they gave me $300 off the down payment of an iPhone Pro Max. Paid $200 down (after tax) and will be paying $33/month for 24 months. Also, got 2 iPhone 11's for my parents at $0 down and $32/month for 24 months. Also waived activation by offering credit and got the1000 LD minutes and the 5 hours of unlimited data per month.

I had Freedom prepaid plans and was with them for a day.

Seems like a good deal.
Dec 11, 2008
444 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
I thought I'd relate my nightmare with Fido on this promo.

I tried to port over 5 Freedom numbers. The 2 staff members at the store only managed to port 1 number correctly and didn't activate the 4 remaining. (They did say that it could take a few minutes to a couple of hours to process.)
We realised there was a problem hours later when the numbers hadn't switched and one phone showed 'No Service' and 'SIM not Activated' when the new SIM was installed.
I called in to see what was going on. I was on the phone till midnight (over 3 hours) trying to get this working right.
After hanging up, we found out that the phone rep had assigned 2 numbers to the wrong phones.

Since they were closed, I had to wait till this morning and spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone fixing other issues and to be told that my only option to fix the cell number that were incorrectly assigned was to have new SIM's mailed ot me, pick them up from the store or swap them ourselves.
So, if all goes well, we should have this done with at the end of the day.

What a fxxxing pain.
If I had know that the Fido staff would cause me this much of a headache I would never have bothered switching to Fido.
It's not like I needed the 9GB-11GB per line as we already had 5GB for $35 at Freedom.

So, as others tend to say hear on RFD, YMMV but, when things go sideways expect to have a nightmare on your hands.
I give FIDO a complete failure on this.
May 24, 2017
805 posts
558 upvotes
GTA
Canuck_TO wrote: I thought I'd relate my nightmare with Fido on this promo.

I tried to port over 5 Freedom numbers. The 2 staff members at the store only managed to port 1 number correctly and didn't activate the 4 remaining. (They did say that it could take a few minutes to a couple of hours to process.)
We realised there was a problem hours later when the numbers hadn't switched and one phone showed 'No Service' and 'SIM not Activated' when the new SIM was installed.
I called in to see what was going on. I was on the phone till midnight (over 3 hours) trying to get this working right.
After hanging up, we found out that the phone rep had assigned 2 numbers to the wrong phones.

Since they were closed, I had to wait till this morning and spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone fixing other issues and to be told that my only option to fix the cell number that were incorrectly assigned was to have new SIM's mailed ot me, pick them up from the store or swap them ourselves.
So, if all goes well, we should have this done with at the end of the day.

What a fxxxing pain.
If I had know that the Fido staff would cause me this much of a headache I would never have bothered switching to Fido.
It's not like I needed the 9GB-11GB per line as we already had 5GB for $35 at Freedom.

So, as others tend to say hear on RFD, YMMV but, when things go sideways expect to have a nightmare on your hands.
I give FIDO a complete failure on this.
Too bad you have had these issues. One of the reasons l left fido 10 years ago was too much work for me. Promos on phones, wrong info given or me telling them what the plan should be.

I went with Mobilicity and Freedom over the years. And now recently went with Koodo. Glad I didnt go back to fido for any of their nightmares. Im sure others have gone through it and pehaps others have not. Any deal is YMMV.

Hope the issues get resolved quickly.

Edit: maybe complain a bit with a FIDO ambassador. Maybe they can give you some sort of compensation.
Dec 11, 2008
444 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Paulie1RFD wrote: Too bad you have had these issues. One of the reasons l left fido 10 years ago was too much work for me. Promos on phones, wrong info given or me telling them what the plan should be.

I went with Mobilicity and Freedom over the years. And now recently went with Koodo. Glad I didnt go back to fido for any of their nightmares. Im sure others have gone through it and pehaps others have not. Any deal is YMMV.

Hope the issues get resolved quickly.

Edit: maybe complain a bit with a FIDO ambassador. Maybe they can give you some sort of compensation.
As much as I'm not a Telus fan, Koodoo wasn't bad when we had aline with them.
Considring that I've also had problems with Fido when I used them while travelling, I think after this, if Koodo has something good, I'd be tempted to switch.

Earlier this morning, I spoke with a Fido supervisor and they gave me $100 credit on the account.
Then tonight, everyone started complaining that they didn't have voicemail. There went another half hour on chat (never could get through to a human on the phone)
At least this tech fixed the issue quickly and verified that all of the phones have the features that they're supposed to have.